“For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives.” Hebrews 12:6
Oh, could we always analyze the embittered cup–how astonished would we be to find that in the bitterest draught that ever touched our lips, the principal ingredient was love!
Divine love that…
- saw the discipline to be needful
- selected the chastisement which was sent
- appointed the instrument by which it should come
- arranged the circumstances by which it should take place
- fixed the time when it should transpire
- determined the duration of the affliction
- heard the sigh
- saw the tear
- marked the anguish, and
- never for one moment withdrew its beaming eye from the sufferer.
Alas! How much this precious truth is overlooked by the disciplined and suffering believer! Think, suffering child of God, of the many consoling, alleviating and soothing circumstances connected with your chastisement.
Think of the…
- many divine supports,
- precious promises,
- tenderness of God, and
- gentleness of Christ.
All this will demonstrate to you that this is the chastening of love!
- your trials; they are sent by your heavenly Father.
- the stroke of His rod; it is your loving Parent smiting.
- whatever detaches you from earth, and wings your spirit heavenward.
- the furnace that consumes the dross and the tin, and brings out the precious gold and silver–to reflect in your soul, even now, the dawnings of future glory.
Oh! be submissive, meek, and quiet under God’s chastening and afflicting hand!
“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.” Revelation 3:19
Octavius Winslow (1808 – 1878) was a prominent 19th-century evangelical preacher in England and America. Known as “The Pilgrim’s Companion,” he was Baptist minister until 1870 when he was ordained an Anglican deacon and priest. He was a contemporary of Charles Spurgeon and J. C. Ryle and a prolific writer. His Christ-centered, richly devotional writings offer inspiration and encouragement.
Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith...
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR