- “In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God” (Psalm 62:7 – NKJV)
This week Pastor Chuck wrote about an old hymn that so beautifully spoke of the refuge we have in Christ in times of trials, tribulation, pain, and suffering. Written by a contemporary of D. L. Moody, the words proclaim:
“the Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, a shelter in the time of storm; Secure whatever may be – tide, a shelter in the time of storm.”
(Refrain) “Mighty rock in a weary land, cooling shade on a burning sand; Faithful guide for the pilgrim band, a shelter in the time of storm.”
“A shade by day, defense by night, a shelter in the time of storm; No fears alarm, no foes affright, a shelter in the time of storm.
“O Rock divine, O Refuge dear, a shelter in the time of storm; Be Thou our helper ever near, a shelter in the time of storm.”
You can listen to the hymn here.
The words remind me of another song, a favorite of mine that I heard for the first time in 2009 during the darkest, most despairing days of my life. When I found myself in a storm that was raging all around and on a “sea” that was swelling to the point of swallowing up my “ship,” I heard this song sung at a small gathering during a Christian conference weekend. The words spoke to my heart and they comforted my soul. They reminded me of the peace we have in the storms of life, especially when God chooses not to calm the sea. It is in those times that we can know, He is always with us and will calm us in the midst of the storm.
Let’s not forget the words of the perennial hymns sung by our forefathers in the faith (A Shelter in the Time of Storm).
But let’s also remember their words are echoed in the songs of our time. Enjoy.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is it a sin to be FAT?
- To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge