- “In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God” (Psalm 62:7 – NKJV)
This week Pastor Chuck wrote about an old hymn that so beautifully spoke of the refuge we have in Christ in times of trials, tribulation, pain, and suffering. Written by a contemporary of D. L. Moody, the words proclaim:
“the Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, a shelter in the time of storm; Secure whatever may be – tide, a shelter in the time of storm.”
(Refrain) “Mighty rock in a weary land, cooling shade on a burning sand; Faithful guide for the pilgrim band, a shelter in the time of storm.”
“A shade by day, defense by night, a shelter in the time of storm; No fears alarm, no foes affright, a shelter in the time of storm.
“O Rock divine, O Refuge dear, a shelter in the time of storm; Be Thou our helper ever near, a shelter in the time of storm.”
You can listen to the hymn here.
The words remind me of another song, a favorite of mine that I heard for the first time in 2009 during the darkest, most despairing days of my life. When I found myself in a storm that was raging all around and on a “sea” that was swelling to the point of swallowing up my “ship,” I heard this song sung at a small gathering during a Christian conference weekend. The words spoke to my heart and they comforted my soul. They reminded me of the peace we have in the storms of life, especially when God chooses not to calm the sea. It is in those times that we can know, He is always with us and will calm us in the midst of the storm.
Let’s not forget the words of the perennial hymns sung by our forefathers in the faith (A Shelter in the Time of Storm).
But let’s also remember their words are echoed in the songs of our time. Enjoy.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store