- “In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God” (Psalm 62:7 – NKJV)
This week Pastor Chuck wrote about an old hymn that so beautifully spoke of the refuge we have in Christ in times of trials, tribulation, pain, and suffering. Written by a contemporary of D. L. Moody, the words proclaim:
“the Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, a shelter in the time of storm; Secure whatever may be – tide, a shelter in the time of storm.”
(Refrain) “Mighty rock in a weary land, cooling shade on a burning sand; Faithful guide for the pilgrim band, a shelter in the time of storm.”
“A shade by day, defense by night, a shelter in the time of storm; No fears alarm, no foes affright, a shelter in the time of storm.
“O Rock divine, O Refuge dear, a shelter in the time of storm; Be Thou our helper ever near, a shelter in the time of storm.”
You can listen to the hymn here.
The words remind me of another song, a favorite of mine that I heard for the first time in 2009 during the darkest, most despairing days of my life. When I found myself in a storm that was raging all around and on a “sea” that was swelling to the point of swallowing up my “ship,” I heard this song sung at a small gathering during a Christian conference weekend. The words spoke to my heart and they comforted my soul. They reminded me of the peace we have in the storms of life, especially when God chooses not to calm the sea. It is in those times that we can know, He is always with us and will calm us in the midst of the storm.
Let’s not forget the words of the perennial hymns sung by our forefathers in the faith (A Shelter in the Time of Storm).
But let’s also remember their words are echoed in the songs of our time. Enjoy.
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is it a sin to be FAT?
- To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
- What is MAUNDY THURSDAY about?
- What is the UNPARDONABLE sin? What if I commit it?
- Will Impure Thoughts Condemn Me? How do I fight them?
- Who were the Nephalim?
- To Tat or Not to Tat (Tattoo). Is that the Question?
- Is there a HIDEN MESSAGE in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
- Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
- Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn't die?
- Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
- Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
- How should I WITNESS to Jehovah's Witnesses?
The Top Ten of 2016
- Is the US GOVERNMENT in the Book of Isaiah?
- Pause to PRAY
- Jesus WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- At the GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Following the GOOD, GREAT, CHIEF, SHEPHERD
- Surely This was a RIGHTEOUS MAN
- But, IF NOT
- Seven Things Christians Must REMEMBER
- Are You GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- The Totem of SALVATION
Share your faith...