We’ve answered the question about addressing God as “Father God” in an article about the use of “Daddy” as a way to address God the Father. (Read: Does Abba Mean Daddy?) Let’s consider it again. Should we pray in this way, “Father God. . . “
It has been popularized over the past decade to begin prayers with, Father God. You have likely heard this used often, even by very good pastors and Bible teachers, so is it a good way to address the Father?
While there is nothing wrong with addressing God in this way, there are biblical reasons why it is not the best way to address our Heavenly Father.
- First, nowhere in the Bible is Father God used as a name for God, or as a title for God, or as a way to address God as Father.
- Second, there is a non-Christian religion that uses Father God in some of their writings to distinguish God from another they call Father.
- Finally, we wouldn’t pray to Jesus and address Him as “Son God,” or pray to the Holy Spirit as “Spirit God,” so why would we say “Father God?”
Having made those three points, remember that God is a discerner of the heart and He is more concerned with the intentions of our hearts than with the words of our mouths.
We should always do our best to honor God in every way. So while it might be better to refrain from using Father God as a title for God (because it is not supported by His Word), God knows your heart.
That said, I would suggest the best way to address the Father is given to us in the Bible by Jesus’ example:
- Instructing His disciples how to pray, Jesus said: Matt 6:9 “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.”
- When Jesus prayed, He said: John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father…”
- In talking to His disciples, Jesus repeatedly referred to God the Father as “your heavenly Father” (Mat 6:14, 26, 32, Mat 15:13, Mat 18:35, Luke 11:13).
- The Bible also exemplifies the personal relationship between Father and Son, when Jesus repeatedly referred to the Father as “My Father” (52 times in 51 verses).
- And finally, a most beautiful salutation in prayer: John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Our Father, Father, Heavenly Father, My Father, Holy Father
However you address God the Father, remember that Jesus also taught us by example that we should address God with a humble spirit, a devoted heart, and a reverence for His name and His Person. For we know that our God is holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, and He is truly, truly worthy of all honor and glory.
What About Daddy?
You might be thinking, should we call God, Daddy? To answer this, read: Does Abba Mean Daddy?
Misinterpreted, Misunderstood, or Misused Bible Verses and Passages
If we do as 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, will God heal America?
Eph 4:15 - What Does “Speaking the Truth in Love” Really Mean?
Heb 10:26 - How Should We Understand the Willful Sin of Hebrews 10:26?
Matt 5:48 - Did Jesus Really Mean "Be Perfect?"
Does Hebrews 6:4-6 Teach Salvation Can Be Lost?
How Should We Understand the Willful Sin of Hebrews 10:26?
Jer 17:9 - Is My Heart Deceitful Above All Things? (Jer 17:9) Don’t I Have a New Heart?
Matt 18:20 - Does There Need to be Two or Three Gathered Together for Jesus to be Present?
If You Were the Only Person Alive, Would Jesus Have Died For Only You?
Misconceptions About Christmas: the Journey to Bethlehem
Heb 9:27 - Does the resurrection of Lazarus contradict Hebrews 9:27?
Are We All God’s Children?
Jesus said, I never knew you. Why?
Should We Call God, "Father God?"
Does Abba Really Mean "Daddy?"
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas