We’ve answered the question about addressing God as “Father God” in an article about the use of “Daddy” as a way to address God the Father. (Read: Does Abba Mean Daddy?) Let’s consider it again. Should we pray in this way, “Father God. . . “
It has been popularized over the past decade to begin prayers with, Father God. You have likely heard this used often, even by very good pastors and Bible teachers, so is it a good way to address the Father?
While there is nothing wrong with addressing God in this way, there are biblical reasons why it is not the best way to address our Heavenly Father.
- First, nowhere in the Bible is Father God used as a name for God, or as a title for God, or as a way to address God as Father.
- Second, there is a non-Christian religion that uses Father God in some of their writings to distinguish God from another they call Father.
- Finally, we wouldn’t pray to Jesus and address Him as “Son God,” or pray to the Holy Spirit as “Spirit God,” so why would we say “Father God?”
Having made those three points, remember that God is a discerner of the heart and He is more concerned with the intentions of our hearts than with the words of our mouths.
We should always do our best to honor God in every way. So while it might be better to refrain from using Father God as a title for God (because it is not supported by His Word), God knows your heart.
That said, I would suggest the best way to address the Father is given to us in the Bible by Jesus’ example:
- Instructing His disciples how to pray, Jesus said: Matt 6:9 “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.”
- When Jesus prayed, He said: John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father…”
- In talking to His disciples, Jesus repeatedly referred to God the Father as “your heavenly Father” (Mat 6:14, 26, 32, Mat 15:13, Mat 18:35, Luke 11:13).
- The Bible also exemplifies the personal relationship between Father and Son, when Jesus repeatedly referred to the Father as “My Father” (52 times in 51 verses).
- And finally, a most beautiful salutation in prayer: John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Our Father, Father, Heavenly Father, My Father, Holy Father
However you address God the Father, remember that Jesus also taught us by example that we should address God with a humble spirit, a devoted heart, and a reverence for His name and His Person. For we know that our God is holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, and He is truly, truly worthy of all honor and glory.
What About Daddy?
You might be thinking, should we call God, Daddy? To answer this, read: Does Abba Mean Daddy?
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR