[Watch the video poem, “You Only Have One Mother” below]
Remembering our mothers is important and how we remember them is crucial to a loving relationship that honors God.
We are told to take every thought captive for Jesus (2 Corinthians 10:5). That verse says that how we remember is an active, willful choice–we must take the thoughts captive. God expects us to exercise a thought life that glorifies Him. And we do that by remembering who God is, what He has done for us, and who we are in Him, because doing so will influence our thoughts, our words, and our actions; and will direct the relationships in our lives.
No Such Thing as Perfect
There’s no perfect mother and there’s no perfect child. All relationships need good forgivers, who are willing to give grace to each other. As Christians, we are to love without conditions and with a heart of unselfish desire. We are to give all that we have because, in Christ, we already have all that we need.
There’s a saying that our “glass” is either “half-empty” or “half-full.” This is meant to be an illustration of how we choose to live. Are we thankful for what we have? Or regretful of that which we do not have?
Another saying is that we are either “looking to the future” or “living in the past.” All too often we are looking backward and remembering that which we should forget, and forgetting that which we should remember.
We know that in God’s grace our sins are cast into the sea of His forgotten memory*….never to be remembered or charged against us. We are to do the same. We are not to keep a record of wrongs (1 Cor 13:5), but rather, we are to love with the sacrificial love that reflects the love of Jesus (2 Tim 1:17, 2 Cor 3:18).
On this Mother’s Day, do you remember all the love and blessings your mother has given you? Or the “record of wrongs?” All mothers make mistakes. But so do children. Both must be quick to forgive.
Eph 4:32, 5:2 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you… And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us…
When we start by taking our thoughts captive for Jesus (2 Cor 10:5), and remembering the love of God (John 3:16), and all He has given us (Rom 5:8), then we can easily choose to remember the wonderful memories that positively influence, grow and direct our lives. We can also choose to forget the events that were less than edifying (1 Cor 13:5d-6). When we do that we live with a “glass” that is more than “half-full” and we will find satisfaction in what God has done, and what He is doing, in our lives. If we don’t rightly choose to rightly remember we will live with a “half-empty glass” that will leave us wanting, striving, and disappointed.
Honor your mother today and every day. God chose her to give you life. Forgive her shortcomings and remember all her goodness, for you can only have one mother.
Rightly Remembering Your Mother
Your mother is a treasure. Cherish her in your heart. Honor her with your words and actions. And love her forever.
Make Mother’s Day a grace-filled day of letting go of life’s little issues. Take captive every warm and wonderful memory of your mom. Hide those memories in your heart.
If, like me, your mother has passed on from this life, make Mother’s Day a special day to remember her. She isn’t here, but you can keep the memories of her alive in your heart.
If your mother is still with you, give thanks to God for her presence in your life and tell her how much you love her. One day memories will be all you have…and they will be sufficient to fill your glass to overflowing on Mother’s Day.
Honor God by honoring your mother, in your mind, and with your actions. Allow the love of God that He has given you to pour forth from you to mom and to others.
* “Our sins are cast into the sea of God’s forgotten memory” is a line from a song written in 1838. Watch a modern rendition that reminds us:
What though the vile accuser roar
Of sins that I have done;
I know them well, and thousands more;
My God, He knoweth none”
Watch NOW: His Be The Victor’s Name (The Vile Accuser Roars)
Mother's Day Articles and Videos
- A Tribute to Mothers on Mother’s Day
- You Only Have ONE MOTHER - 1 min. Mother's Day Video Poem
- GOD BLESS MOMS -- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
- A TRIBUTE to Mother from the Bible
- A Mother’s Day POEM
- 15 THINGS Mom Taught Me & 1 from Dad!
- 21st Century Mom
- Mother: Sounds A Lot LIKE JESUS
- GOD CHOSE YOU To Be Their Mother
- GOD'S PRESCRIPTION for Mother’s Day
- How Can We Understand God’s Love? (A Must See Video)
- Mothers Are A GIFT FROM GOD
- Mothers Day POP-UP CARD
- THANK YOU, Mom
- MOM'S AMAZING LOVE-A Forever Friend
- Can You Name the Children of Biblical Mothers?
- Your Mother, by J.R. Miller, 1898
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas