DATE: 663-612 B.C.
Not a lot is known about Nahum. We do know that his name means consolation and, interestingly, Nahum’s message was to be a consolation, or comfort, to Judah. It was to be a reminder that God will judge the wicked. We also know that Nahum was from Elkosh, a village in Galilee, proving false the statement in John 7:52 made by Jewish rulers that “out of Galilee ariseth no prophet.” In addition to Nahum (Na 1:1), Jonah (2 Ki 14:25) and Elijah (1 Ki 17:1) were also from Galilee.
Nahum, like Obadiah, is a prophet of God with a message about a Gentile nation. Obadiah prophesied of the coming judgment that would come to Edom and Nahum spoke of judgment on Ninevah. Both spoke their messages in Judah.
Nahum’s message was, Nineveh will be destroyed! In three chapters, almost every verse speaks of the destruction of the great Assyrian city that took place in 612 B.C. More than 100 years earlier Jonah had prophesied God’s message of coming judgment to the people of Ninevah. The king and all the people of the city repented and it’s estimated more than 600,000 people turned to the God of Israel. Sadly these people did not pass down the knowledge of the Lord to their children and the people quickly reverted to their cruel and heathen practices. In 722 they had destroyed the Northern Kingdom, Israel and attempted to capture Jerusalem in 701.
The character of God is magnificently described in chapter 1, especially verses 2-8. Chapter 2 tells of the destruction of Ninevah and God’s reason for destroying Ninevah is clearly revealed in the Ninevites wickedness spoken of in 3:1, 4.
OUTLINE OF NAHUM
I. The Theme and Author, 1:1
II. The Majesty of God, 1:2-14
A. The Attributes of God, 1:2-8
B. The Anger of God, 1:9-14
III. The Judgment of God, 1:15-3:19
A. Judgment Proclaimed, 1:15
B. Judgment Predicted, 2:1-2
C. Judgment Described, 2:3-10
D. Judgment Vindicated, 2:11-3:7
E. Judgment Forewarned, 3:8-10
F. Judgment Inevitable, 3:11-19
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?