DATE: 663-612 B.C.
Not a lot is known about Nahum. We do know that his name means consolation and, interestingly, Nahum’s message was to be a consolation, or comfort, to Judah. It was to be a reminder that God will judge the wicked. We also know that Nahum was from Elkosh, a village in Galilee, proving false the statement in John 7:52 made by Jewish rulers that “out of Galilee ariseth no prophet.” In addition to Nahum (Na 1:1), Jonah (2 Ki 14:25) and Elijah (1 Ki 17:1) were also from Galilee.
Nahum, like Obadiah, is a prophet of God with a message about a Gentile nation. Obadiah prophesied of the coming judgment that would come to Edom and Nahum spoke of judgment on Ninevah. Both spoke their messages in Judah.
Nahum’s message was, Nineveh will be destroyed! In three chapters, almost every verse speaks of the destruction of the great Assyrian city that took place in 612 B.C. More than 100 years earlier Jonah had prophesied God’s message of coming judgment to the people of Ninevah. The king and all the people of the city repented and it’s estimated more than 600,000 people turned to the God of Israel. Sadly these people did not pass down the knowledge of the Lord to their children and the people quickly reverted to their cruel and heathen practices. In 722 they had destroyed the Northern Kingdom, Israel and attempted to capture Jerusalem in 701.
The character of God is magnificently described in chapter 1, especially verses 2-8. Chapter 2 tells of the destruction of Ninevah and God’s reason for destroying Ninevah is clearly revealed in the Ninevites wickedness spoken of in 3:1, 4.
OUTLINE OF NAHUM
I. The Theme and Author, 1:1
II. The Majesty of God, 1:2-14
A. The Attributes of God, 1:2-8
B. The Anger of God, 1:9-14
III. The Judgment of God, 1:15-3:19
A. Judgment Proclaimed, 1:15
B. Judgment Predicted, 2:1-2
C. Judgment Described, 2:3-10
D. Judgment Vindicated, 2:11-3:7
E. Judgment Forewarned, 3:8-10
F. Judgment Inevitable, 3:11-19
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge