DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The Hebrew title of the book means “in the wilderness of.” Most of the book records the history of the Israelites as they wandered for 40 years in the wilderness of Sinai. The Greek Septuagint attributed the title, Arithmoi (Numbers) based on the prominence of numbering the people (census figures, chaps. 1-3, 26).
The book of Numbers covers the time after Israel’s departure from Egypt and before her entering into Canaan. Exactly one year after God delivered Israel from Egypt, the Israelites gathered at Mount Sinai to receive instructions concerning the law and the Tabernacle (Tabernacle instructions are recorded in the book of Leviticus). The historical narrative of Numbers picks up one month after the close of events in the last chapter of Exodus (cf. Ex 40:2 and Num 1:1). The book covers the time period and the people’ journey from Sinai to Kadesh-barnea, through the wilderness, and finally to the plains of Moab east of the Jordan River across from Jericho.
The book of Numbers tells of God preparing His people to learn to walk by faith and trust in His promises. It records the people’s unbelief and discontent (Num 11:1), their refusal t enter the Promised Land (Num 14:2), rebellion agains leaders (Num 15), the sin of their leader Moses (Num 20:12), idolotrous worship (Num 25:3), and more. But it also tells of God’s gracious provision in meeting all their needs and His faithfulness to His promise of delivering them into their Promised Land.
Several of the events in the book of Numbers are referenced in the New Testament to remind believers of the seriousness of sin (compare John 3:14 and Num. 21:9; 1 Cor. 10:5-11 and Num. 14:29-35, 16:41-50, 20:1-13; 2 Peter 2:15-16, Rev. 2:14 and Num. 22-24; Jude 11 and Num. 16, 27:3).
Remezes (Hidden Messages) in the Book of Numbers
What’s the Amazing Remez in the Book of Numbers?
Who Were the Daughters of Zelophehad? Numbers 27, 36
What do Zelophehad’s Daughters have to do with Christmas?
OUTLINE OF NUMBERS
I. Israel Preparing at Sinai, 1:1-10:10
A. The Census of the People, 1:1-4:49
1. The population of the tribes, 1:1-54
2. The position of the tribes in camp and on march, 2:1-34
3. The place of the Levites, 3:1-4:49
B. The Sanctification of the People, 5:1-10:10
1. By separation from defiling things, 5:1-31
2. By taking a Nazirite vow, 6:1-27
3. By the offerings of the leaders, 7:1-89
4. By the setting apart of the Levites, 8:1-26
5. By observing the first annual Passover, 9:1-14
6. By being led by God, 9:15-10:10
II. Israel Marching to Kadesh-barnea, 10:11-12:16
A. The March Begun, 10:11-36
B. The Murmurings Begun, 11:1-12:16
1. The murmuring of the people (the seventy elders and the quail), 11:1-35
2. The murmuring of Miriam and Aaron (the leprosy of Miriam), 12:1-16
III. Israel at Kadesh-barnea, 13:1-20:13
A. The Defiance of God, 13:1-14:45
1. The reconnaissance and report of the spies, 13:1-33
2. The reaction and judgment of the people, 14:1-45
B. The Discipline from God, 15:1-20:13
1. Miscellaneous laws concerning offerings, Sabbath-breaking, and garment tassels, 15:1-41
2. The rebellion of Korah, 16:1-50
3. Validation of the Aaronic priesthood: Aaron’s rod that budded, 17:1-13
4. The duties and support of the Levites, 18:1-32
5. The red heifer sacrifice, 19:1-22
6. The sin of Moses, 20:1-13
IV. Israel Marching to Moab, 20:14-21:35
A. The Defiance of Edom, 20:14-22
B. The Death of Aaron, 20:23-29
C. The Defeat of Arad, 21:1-3
D. The Discipline of Israel: the Bronze Serpent, 21:4-9
E. The Defeat of Sihon and Og, 21:10-35
V. Israel on the Plains of Moab, 22:1-36:13
A. Balak Propositions Balaam to Curse Israel, 22:1-41
B. Balaam Blesses Israel, 23:1-24:25
C. Israel Worships Baal of Peor, 25:1-18
D. The New Generation Numbered, 26:1-65
E. The People Instructed, 27:1-30:16
1. The laws of inheritance, 27:1-11
2. The appointment of Joshua, Num 27:12-23
3. The order of offerings and festivals, 28:1-29:40
4. The law for vows, 30:1-16
F. The People Defeat the Midianites, 31:1-54
G. Transjordan Settled by Two-and-a-Half Tribes, 32:1-42
H. The Journey from Egypt to Moab Reviewed, 33:1-49
I. Instructions for Possessing the Land, 33:50-56
J. The Division of the Land of Canaan, 34:1-36:13
1. The boundaries, 34:1-12
2. The allotment, 34:13-29
3. The cities of the Levites, 35:1-8
4. The cities of refuge, 35:9-34
5. The inheritance of women, 36:1-13
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED