“I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.” Psalm 109:22
“I know your … poverty (but you are rich).” Revelation 2:9
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 5:3
“The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek Him will praise the LORD. Let your heart live forever!” Psalm 22:26
“He heals the brokenhearted…. The LORD lifts up the humble.” Psalm 147:3, 6
“A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench, until He sends forth justice to victory.” Matthew 12:20
Such are the tender mercies of Christ toward the weakest of His people. He supplies them from time to time with all strength, until at last they are able to gain a complete victory. As soon, therefore, as we are sensible of our poverty or miserable condition and are desirous of grace and strength to overcome sin, evidencing that desire to be sincere by constant prayer, we have actually some grace and spiritual life and are delivered already from the jaws of Hell, for there is no such feeling in dead souls. And in Hell there is only a desire to be delivered from the punishment of sin, but not from sin itself.
My soul, bless God for quickening grace, which makes you feel your need. And then seek satisfying grace, even the water which Jesus gives, which shall be in you a well of living water, springing up into everlasting life.
Blessed are the humble souls that see
Their emptiness and poverty;
Treasures of grace to them are given,
And crowns of joy laid up in Heaven.
Blessed are the men of broken heart.
Who mourn for sin with inward smart;
The blood of Christ divinely flows,
A healing balm for all their woes.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store