DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The English title of this book means “pertaining to the Levites.” The book is records practices for the priests (who were from the tribe of Levi) and laws concerning all the Israelites. The Hebrew title is “And He called” (from the first word of the book) and reminds that God’s call is to holiness (11:45).
Key Words and Themes
Leviticus records God’s design for the sacrificial system of Israel. About 42 times the word sacrifice is used. “Priest” occurs about 189 times, “blood” about 86 times, “holy” about 87 times, and “atonement” about 45 times (all depending on the translation you are reading). The regulations emphasize holiness of both body and spirit, of both physical and spiritual life. The New Testament refers to Leviticus about 90 times.
The book of Exodus ended with the erection of the Tabernacle (Tent of Meeting), which the people constructed according to God’s pattern given to Moses. Leviticus tells how they are to use the Tabernacle to meet with God. The instructions, given to Moses during the 50 days between the setting up of the Tabernacle (Ex. 40:17) and the departure of the people from Sinai (Num. 10:11), are precise and prophetic. Everything points to the ultimate sacrifice (Jesus) and reveals the holiness of God. By setting forth the sacrificial system for the atonement of sin, the book also reveals the sinfulness of man and God’s provision to forgive and cleanse man of sins
OUTLINE OF LEVITICUS
I. The Way to God: Sacrifice, 1:1-10:20
A. Through the Offerings, 1:1-7:38
1. The burnt offering, 1:1-17
2. The grain offering, 2:1-16
3. The peace offering, 3:1-17
4. The sin offering, 4:1-5:13
5. The guilt offering, 5:14-6:7
6. Added instructions concerning the offerings, 6:8-7:38
a. The burnt offering, 6:8-13
b. The grain offering, 6:14-23
c. The sin offering, 6:24-30
d. The guilt offering, 7:1-10
e. The peace offering, 7:11-38
B. Through the Priests, 8:1-10:20
1. The consecration to priestly service, 8:1-36
2. The inauguration of priestly service, 9:1-
3. The sacrilege of priestly service: Nadab and Abihu, 10:1-20
B. Law of the Day of Atonement, 16:1-34
1. Preparations, 16:1-4
2. Offerings, 16:5-28
3. Instructions, 16:29-34
C. Laws Concerning Sacrificing, 17:1-16
D. Laws Concerning Standards for the People, 18:1-20:27
1. Concerning sexual relationships, 18:1-30
2. Concerning daily life, 19:1-37
3. Concerning heinous offenses, 20:1-27
E. Laws Concerning Standards for the Priests, 21:1-22:16
F. Laws Concerning Offerings, 22:17-33
II. The Walk with God: Sanctification, 11:1-27:34
A. Laws Concerning Purity, 11:1-15:33
1. In relation to food, 11:1-47
2. In relation to childbirth, 12:1-8
3. In relation to leprosy, 13:1-14:57
a. Classifications of leprosy, 13:1-59
b. Cleansing for leprosy, 14:1-57
4. In relation to the body, 15:1-33
G. Laws Concerning Festivals, 23:1-44
1. The Sabbath, 23:1-3
2. The Passover and Unleavened Bread, 23:4-8
3. First Fruits, 23:9-14
4. Pentecost, 23:15-22
5. Trumpets, 23:23-25
6. The Day of Atonement, 23:26-32
7. Booths, 23:33-44
H. Laws Concerning the Oil, Bread, and Blasphemy, 24:1-23
I. Laws Concerning the Sabbath Year, 25:1-7
J. Laws Concerning the Year of Jubilee, 25:8-55
K. Laws Concerning Obedience, 26:1-46
L. Laws Concerning Vows and Tithes, 27:1-34
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR