DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The English title of this book means “pertaining to the Levites.” The book is records practices for the priests (who were from the tribe of Levi) and laws concerning all the Israelites. The Hebrew title is “And He called” (from the first word of the book) and reminds that God’s call is to holiness (11:45).
Key Words and Themes
Leviticus records God’s design for the sacrificial system of Israel. About 42 times the word sacrifice is used. “Priest” occurs about 189 times, “blood” about 86 times, “holy” about 87 times, and “atonement” about 45 times (all depending on the translation you are reading). The regulations emphasize holiness of both body and spirit, of both physical and spiritual life. The New Testament refers to Leviticus about 90 times.
The book of Exodus ended with the erection of the Tabernacle (Tent of Meeting), which the people constructed according to God’s pattern given to Moses. Leviticus tells how they are to use the Tabernacle to meet with God. The instructions, given to Moses during the 50 days between the setting up of the Tabernacle (Ex. 40:17) and the departure of the people from Sinai (Num. 10:11), are precise and prophetic. Everything points to the ultimate sacrifice (Jesus) and reveals the holiness of God. By setting forth the sacrificial system for the atonement of sin, the book also reveals the sinfulness of man and God’s provision to forgive and cleanse man of sins
OUTLINE OF LEVITICUS
I. The Way to God: Sacrifice, 1:1-10:20
A. Through the Offerings, 1:1-7:38
1. The burnt offering, 1:1-17
2. The grain offering, 2:1-16
3. The peace offering, 3:1-17
4. The sin offering, 4:1-5:13
5. The guilt offering, 5:14-6:7
6. Added instructions concerning the offerings, 6:8-7:38
a. The burnt offering, 6:8-13
b. The grain offering, 6:14-23
c. The sin offering, 6:24-30
d. The guilt offering, 7:1-10
e. The peace offering, 7:11-38
B. Through the Priests, 8:1-10:20
1. The consecration to priestly service, 8:1-36
2. The inauguration of priestly service, 9:1-
3. The sacrilege of priestly service: Nadab and Abihu, 10:1-20
B. Law of the Day of Atonement, 16:1-34
1. Preparations, 16:1-4
2. Offerings, 16:5-28
3. Instructions, 16:29-34
C. Laws Concerning Sacrificing, 17:1-16
D. Laws Concerning Standards for the People, 18:1-20:27
1. Concerning sexual relationships, 18:1-30
2. Concerning daily life, 19:1-37
3. Concerning heinous offenses, 20:1-27
E. Laws Concerning Standards for the Priests, 21:1-22:16
F. Laws Concerning Offerings, 22:17-33
II. The Walk with God: Sanctification, 11:1-27:34
A. Laws Concerning Purity, 11:1-15:33
1. In relation to food, 11:1-47
2. In relation to childbirth, 12:1-8
3. In relation to leprosy, 13:1-14:57
a. Classifications of leprosy, 13:1-59
b. Cleansing for leprosy, 14:1-57
4. In relation to the body, 15:1-33
G. Laws Concerning Festivals, 23:1-44
1. The Sabbath, 23:1-3
2. The Passover and Unleavened Bread, 23:4-8
3. First Fruits, 23:9-14
4. Pentecost, 23:15-22
5. Trumpets, 23:23-25
6. The Day of Atonement, 23:26-32
7. Booths, 23:33-44
H. Laws Concerning the Oil, Bread, and Blasphemy, 24:1-23
I. Laws Concerning the Sabbath Year, 25:1-7
J. Laws Concerning the Year of Jubilee, 25:8-55
K. Laws Concerning Obedience, 26:1-46
L. Laws Concerning Vows and Tithes, 27:1-34
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge