DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The English title of this book means “pertaining to the Levites.” The book is records practices for the priests (who were from the tribe of Levi) and laws concerning all the Israelites. The Hebrew title is “And He called” (from the first word of the book) and reminds that God’s call is to holiness (11:45).
Key Words and Themes
Leviticus records God’s design for the sacrificial system of Israel. About 42 times the word sacrifice is used. “Priest” occurs about 189 times, “blood” about 86 times, “holy” about 87 times, and “atonement” about 45 times (all depending on the translation you are reading). The regulations emphasize holiness of both body and spirit, of both physical and spiritual life. The New Testament refers to Leviticus about 90 times.
The book of Exodus ended with the erection of the Tabernacle (Tent of Meeting), which the people constructed according to God’s pattern given to Moses. Leviticus tells how they are to use the Tabernacle to meet with God. The instructions, given to Moses during the 50 days between the setting up of the Tabernacle (Ex. 40:17) and the departure of the people from Sinai (Num. 10:11), are precise and prophetic. Everything points to the ultimate sacrifice (Jesus) and reveals the holiness of God. By setting forth the sacrificial system for the atonement of sin, the book also reveals the sinfulness of man and God’s provision to forgive and cleanse man of sins
OUTLINE OF LEVITICUS
I. The Way to God: Sacrifice, 1:1-10:20
A. Through the Offerings, 1:1-7:38
1. The burnt offering, 1:1-17
2. The grain offering, 2:1-16
3. The peace offering, 3:1-17
4. The sin offering, 4:1-5:13
5. The guilt offering, 5:14-6:7
6. Added instructions concerning the offerings, 6:8-7:38
a. The burnt offering, 6:8-13
b. The grain offering, 6:14-23
c. The sin offering, 6:24-30
d. The guilt offering, 7:1-10
e. The peace offering, 7:11-38
B. Through the Priests, 8:1-10:20
1. The consecration to priestly service, 8:1-36
2. The inauguration of priestly service, 9:1-
3. The sacrilege of priestly service: Nadab and Abihu, 10:1-20
B. Law of the Day of Atonement, 16:1-34
1. Preparations, 16:1-4
2. Offerings, 16:5-28
3. Instructions, 16:29-34
C. Laws Concerning Sacrificing, 17:1-16
D. Laws Concerning Standards for the People, 18:1-20:27
1. Concerning sexual relationships, 18:1-30
2. Concerning daily life, 19:1-37
3. Concerning heinous offenses, 20:1-27
E. Laws Concerning Standards for the Priests, 21:1-22:16
F. Laws Concerning Offerings, 22:17-33
II. The Walk with God: Sanctification, 11:1-27:34
A. Laws Concerning Purity, 11:1-15:33
1. In relation to food, 11:1-47
2. In relation to childbirth, 12:1-8
3. In relation to leprosy, 13:1-14:57
a. Classifications of leprosy, 13:1-59
b. Cleansing for leprosy, 14:1-57
4. In relation to the body, 15:1-33
G. Laws Concerning Festivals, 23:1-44
1. The Sabbath, 23:1-3
2. The Passover and Unleavened Bread, 23:4-8
3. First Fruits, 23:9-14
4. Pentecost, 23:15-22
5. Trumpets, 23:23-25
6. The Day of Atonement, 23:26-32
7. Booths, 23:33-44
H. Laws Concerning the Oil, Bread, and Blasphemy, 24:1-23
I. Laws Concerning the Sabbath Year, 25:1-7
J. Laws Concerning the Year of Jubilee, 25:8-55
K. Laws Concerning Obedience, 26:1-46
L. Laws Concerning Vows and Tithes, 27:1-34
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.