DATE: Date Uncertain
Joel’s name means Yahweh is God. Most believe he wrote around 835 B.C., during the days of young King Jehoash (835-796) who was under the regency of priests (because he ascended the throne of Judah when he was seven years old 2 Kings 11:21). Joel’s prophecy tells of a coming severe drought and invasion of locusts that would be punishment for the sins of the people. He “pictured” the invasion of locusts as an army, and it serves as a harbinger of a future military campaign in the Day of the Lord.
The Day of the Lord is the major theme of Joel’s prophecy. This “day” will be a time period that includes the Great Tribulation (Isa. 2:12-19; 4:1), the second coming of Christ (Joel 2:30-32), and the Millennium (Isa. 4:2; 12; 19:23-25; Jer. 30:7-9). It will be the time of God’s divine intervention in the affairs of human history to bring about the culmination of His perfect plan and purpose. The Book of Joel gives an account of God’s intervention in the affairs of Israel (Zeph. 1:14-18; Joel 1:15) and heathen nations (Isa. 13:6; Jer. 46:10; Ezek. 30:3) that represents a partial fulfillment of the eschatological Day of the Lord (Joel 2:1-11; Isa. 13:6-13).
OUTLINE OF JOEL
I. Title Verse: the Author, 1:1
II. Desolation, 1:2-2:17
A. The Character of the Desolation, 1:2-12
B. The Reactions to the Desolation, 1:13-14
C. The Picture of the Desolation, 1:15-20
D. The Prophecy of Future Desolation, 2:1-11
E. The Exhortation in View of Desolation, 2:12-17
III. Deliverance, 2:18-3:21
A. The Promise of Immediate Deliverance, 2:18-27
B. The Promise of Future Deliverance, 2:28-3:21
1. Its initiation, 2:28-32
2. Its judgments, 3:1-17
3. Its consummation, 3:18-21
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.