DATE: 45-50 AD
James is addressed “to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad” (James 1:1). There is some questioning of who wrote this letter. There are four men named James in the NT, but only two are proposed as the author of this letter–James the son of Zebedee (brother of John) and James the half-brother of Jesus. James, the son of Zebedee, was martyred in A.D. 44 (Acts 12:2) making his authorship unlikely. James, the half-brother of Jesus is considered the likely writer because of the authoritative tone of the letter and his position as the leader of the Jerusalem church (Acts 12:17; 15:13; 21:18). Similarities of the Greek in this epistle and the speech of James at the Council of Jerusalem (James 1:1 and Acts 15:23; James 1:27 and Acts 15:14; James 2:5 and Acts 15:13) also support his being the writer.
The mid-first century date is indicated by a lack of any reference to the Jerusalem Council (A.D. 49), by the use of the word “assembly” (synagogue) for the church in James 2:2, and by the strong expectation of the Lord’s soon return (James 5:7-9). The acceptance of this letter as part of the canon was questioned until the church agreed its author was most likely the half-brother of Jesus. Martin Luther, who opposed the teachings of this letter because it says little about justification by faith, and emphasizes works, did not question the genuineness of James, only its usefulness in comparison with Paul’s epistles.
The book is not about justification. It is about sanctification. It speaks of the practical aspects of the Christian life. James wrote to provide God-honoring, ethical instruction. There are many subjects about which James writes, making the book like a series of brief sayings arranged in the form of a letter. The instructions explain how to be doers of the Word (James 1:22). In the 108 verses of the epistle, there are references or allusions from 22 Old Testament books and at least 15 allusions to Jesus’ teachings in the Sermon on the Mount. Key subjects include faith and works (James 2:14-26), the use of the tongue (James 3:1-12), and prayer for the sick (James 5:13-16).
OUTLINE OF JAMES
I. Greeting, 1:1
II. Trials, 1:2-18
A. The Purpose of Trials, 1:2-12
B. The Pedigree of Trials, 1:13-15
C. The Purpose of God, 1:16-18
III. The Word, 1:19-27
IV. Partiality, 2:1-13
A. The Command, 2:1
B. The Conduct, 2:2-3
C. The Consequences, 2:4-13
V. Faith and Works, 2:14-26
A. The Inquiry, 2:14
B. The Illustration, 2:15-17
C. The Indoctrination, 2:18-26
VI. Sins of the Tongue, 3:1-12
A. Its Bridling, 3:1-4
B. Its Boasting, 3:5-12
VII. True Wisdom, 3:13-18
VIII. Worldliness, 4:1-17
A. Its Cause, 4:1-2
B. Its Consequences, 4:3-6
C. Its Cure, 4:7-10
D. Its Characteristics, 4:11-17
IX. Riches, Patience, and Swearing, 5:1-12
X. Prayer, 5:13-18
XI. The Conversion of the Erring, 5:19-20
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED