Remembering is the work of the redeemed. Forgetting is the root of apostasy and forgetting always precedes falling. Remembering is so vitally important to everyday life, but it’s something we usually take for granted. All too often we forget the things we should remember and remember the things we should forget. In the Christian life it is of the utmost importance to learn and practice rightly remembering, because…
Forgetting Always Precedes Falling
Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. (Revelation 3:3)
Forgetting leads to falling—which is just another word for sin. When we forget Who God is and what He has done, we are prone to wander from His ways and be guided by our own thoughts and desires. Forgetting causes us to think more about what we can do, instead of what God has done; more about what we desire, than what God commands of us; more about who we can be, rather than who He made us to be; more about ourselves, and less about God. Perhaps one of the most frightening verses in the Bible is found in the book of Judges. I say this because it so aptly describes the condition we find in our world today…
Judges 2:10 And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
We live in a time, when people are forgetting God. Many don’t want to know Him, and the great and mighty works of His hands; and yet others belong to Him (Christians) and the pull on their hearts, of worldly desires and fleshly longings, causes them to forget. So why do we, who call ourselves by His great name, forget our God? Robert Robinson stated it so clearly, in his 1768 hymn Come Thou Font of Every Blessing, with this one line:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love
Those words are so true. God loved us when we were so unlovable. While we were yet sinners, He sent Jesus to die for us (Romans 5:8). We didn’t do anything to deserve it or to earn it. Because God is love (1 John 4:16), and in His great love for us He gave us Jesus (John 3:16). It is only by His love that we are truly able to love others. We love God and we love others because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). So when we are tempted to forget, and we become “prone to wander,” we must turn our thoughts back to remembering who God is and what He has done for us. We must remember the goodness, mercy, and grace of our awesome God. We must focus our eyes on Jesus and open our ears to hear His Word. Jesus spoke of this to the disciples, when He said “… Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?” (Mark 8:18) We don’t want to have eyes that don’t see, ears that don’t hear…and we don’t want to forget.
Remembering is the Work of the Redeemed Forgetting is the Root of Apostasy
• Renew your mind with the truths of God — remember who God is
• Refresh your soul with the rest found only in Christ — remember what He has done for us.
• Receive the precious promises of who you are in Christ—remember you are a new creation, in the process of being conformed to His glorious image.
Turn your wandering heart to Christ and remember Him. Take a minute to read and reflect on these words from the song, Remember Me by Mark Schultz.
In a Bible cracked and faded by the years.
In a sanctuary filled with silent prayer.
When the color of the sunset fills the sky.
When you pray and tears fall from your eyes.
And age to age, And heart to heart,
Bound by grace and peace.
Child of wonder, Child of God,
I’ve remembered you,
(Deut 8:18 ….remember the Lord)
Let this season of Lent, and the upcoming celebration of Easter, be a time when you resolve to live your life rightly remembering your Saviour. Rightly remembering Jesus will establish your heart, anchor your soul and renew your mind.
 Why the Butterfly? Rightly Remembering Jesus, available at www.reasonsforhopeJesus.com/store
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED