DATE: 465 B.C.
We do not know who wrote the book of Esther, but it is believed that the author was a Jew (Jewish nationalism is clear in the book). The author recorded details of the reign of Ahasuerus and the palace in Susa. The book was written after the close of Ahasuerus’s reign (written of in the past tense, Est 10:2-3).
The events of this book cover 10-years (483-473 BC) of the reign of Xerxes I (486-465 BC). Ahasuerus is the Hebrew form of his name, equivalent to the Persian Khshayarsha and the Greek Xerxes. The events recorded in Esther occurred between those recorded in the sixth and seventh chapters of Ezra.
Interestingly, the name of God is not mentioned in this book. However, His sovereignty and providence are clearly on display in the book: From Vashti’s dismissal, Esther’s rise to royalty, Ahasuerus’s indebtedness to Mordecai, to the miraculous deliverance of the Jews, God’s control, care, and comfort for His people is demonstrated (Ps. 121:4). The Jews celebrate the events of this book with the feast of Purim on the fourteenth day of Adar (Feb.-Mar.). During this feast they celebrate the nation’s deliverance from evil Haman, an Agagite who was determined to annihilate the nation.
Esther 4:14 is the best-known verse in the book. It emphasizes the theme of God’s control of all events and His purpose and plans in all things.
OUTLINE OF ESTHER
I. The Danger to God’s People, 1:1-3:15
A. The Divorce of Vashti, 1:1-22
B. The Discovery of Esther, 2:1-20
C. The Devotion of Mordecai, 2:21-23
D. The Decree of Haman, 3:1-15
II. The Decision of God’s Servant, 4:1-5:14
A. Mordecai’s Appeal to Esther, 4:1-14
B. Esther’s Answer to Mordecai, 4:15-17
C. Esther’s Audience with King Ahasuerus (Xerxes), 5:1-8
D. Haman’s Arrogance over Mordecai, 5:9-14
III. The Deliverance of God’s People, 6:1-10:3
A. The Defeat of Haman, 6:1-7:10
1. Haman humbled, 6:1-14
2. Haman hanged, 7:1-10
B. The Decree of King Ahasuerus (Xerxes) and Mordecai, 8:1-17
C. The Defeat of Israel’s Enemies, 9:1-19
D. The Days of Purim, 9:20-32
E. The Description of Mordecai’s Fame, 10:1-3
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED