DATE: 61 A.D.
Key Message: Identity in Christ
Ephesians delivers the key message of identity in Christ. In the first three chapters, Paul clearly tells of the riches of Christ and God’s purpose and plan in establishing the Church, the Body of Christ. In Ephesians 1-3, Paul writes nothing about what Christians should do and everything about what God has done for us. In Christ, we are blessed (Eph 1:3), chosen (Eph 1:4), predestined unto adoption (Eph 1:5), accepted, redeemed, forgiven, included in Christ, marked in Him, made alive, saved, raised up, chosen, adopted (Eph 1:5), accepted, redeemed (Eph 1:7), enlightened (Eph 1:9), heir of inheritance (Eph 1:11) and we are sealed unto the day of redemption (Eph 4:30).
This letter was also written to overcome a powerful cult that was rising up in Ephesus and the surrounding areas (the cult of Artemis). In the ancient world, everyone worshipped some sort of god as a way to gain power or bring good (i.e. fertility, rain, safety, etc). In Ephesus, there was much divination, (magical incantations and spells) and so Paul wrote about “powers in heavenly places” to help them understand the spiritual realm and God’s truths.
Ephesians is one of four prison epistles (Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon). They are called this because they were all written during Paul’s Roman imprisonment (Eph. 3:1; Phil. 1:7; Col. 4:10; Philem. 9). It is uncertain whether Paul was imprisoned once or twice in Rome, though two imprisonments seem to fit the facts better. During the time these epistles were written, Paul was kept in or near the barracks of the Praetorian Guard or in rental quarters at his own expense for two years (Acts 28:30). Paul trusted that God would release him (Phile 22). After Paul’s release, he wrote 1 Timothy and Titus. When Paul was arrested and imprisoned again, he wrote 2 Timothy. He was martyred after his release from prison.
OUTLINE OF EPHESIANS
I. Greetings, 1:1-2
II. The Position of Believers, 1:3-3:21
A. Chosen and Sealed, 1:3-23
B. Saved by Grace, 2:1-10
C. United in One Body, 2:11-22
D. Equal in the Body (the Mystery), 3:1-21
III. The Practice of Believers, 4:1-6:9
A. In Relation to Other Believers, 4:1-6
B. In Relation to Spiritual Gifts, 4:7-16
C. In Relation to the Former Life, 4:17-32
D. In Relation to Evil, 5:1-17
E. In Relation to the Holy Spirit, 5:18-21
F. In Relation to Home Life, 5:22-6:4
G. In Relation to Slaves and Masters, 6:5-9
IV. The Protection for Believers, 6:10-20
A. Against Whom? 6:10-12
B. With What? 6:13-20
V. Concluding Words, 6:21-24
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas