DATE: 61 A.D.
Key Message: Identity in Christ
Ephesians delivers the key message of identity in Christ. In the first three chapters, Paul clearly tells of the riches of Christ and God’s purpose and plan in establishing the Church, the Body of Christ. In Ephesians 1-3, Paul writes nothing about what Christians should do and everything about what God has done for us. In Christ, we are blessed (Eph 1:3), chosen (Eph 1:4), predestined unto adoption (Eph 1:5), accepted, redeemed, forgiven, included in Christ, marked in Him, made alive, saved, raised up, chosen, adopted (Eph 1:5), accepted, redeemed (Eph 1:7), enlightened (Eph 1:9), heir of inheritance (Eph 1:11) and we are sealed unto the day of redemption (Eph 4:30).
This letter was also written to overcome a powerful cult that was rising up in Ephesus and the surrounding areas (the cult of Artemis). In the ancient world, everyone worshipped some sort of god as a way to gain power or bring good (i.e. fertility, rain, safety, etc). In Ephesus, there was much divination, (magical incantations and spells) and so Paul wrote about “powers in heavenly places” to help them understand the spiritual realm and God’s truths.
Ephesians is one of four prison epistles (Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon). They are called this because they were all written during Paul’s Roman imprisonment (Eph. 3:1; Phil. 1:7; Col. 4:10; Philem. 9). It is uncertain whether Paul was imprisoned once or twice in Rome, though two imprisonments seem to fit the facts better. During the time these epistles were written, Paul was kept in or near the barracks of the Praetorian Guard or in rental quarters at his own expense for two years (Acts 28:30). Paul trusted that God would release him (Phile 22). After Paul’s release, he wrote 1 Timothy and Titus. When Paul was arrested and imprisoned again, he wrote 2 Timothy. He was martyred after his release from prison.
OUTLINE OF EPHESIANS
I. Greetings, 1:1-2
II. The Position of Believers, 1:3-3:21
A. Chosen and Sealed, 1:3-23
B. Saved by Grace, 2:1-10
C. United in One Body, 2:11-22
D. Equal in the Body (the Mystery), 3:1-21
III. The Practice of Believers, 4:1-6:9
A. In Relation to Other Believers, 4:1-6
B. In Relation to Spiritual Gifts, 4:7-16
C. In Relation to the Former Life, 4:17-32
D. In Relation to Evil, 5:1-17
E. In Relation to the Holy Spirit, 5:18-21
F. In Relation to Home Life, 5:22-6:4
G. In Relation to Slaves and Masters, 6:5-9
IV. The Protection for Believers, 6:10-20
A. Against Whom? 6:10-12
B. With What? 6:13-20
V. Concluding Words, 6:21-24
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store