The first, and foremost, benefit of being a Christian is that we belong to Jesus. In Him, we have eternal life, and in this world, we have a peace and joy that is beyond anything the world can offer. In Jesus we have hope, and we have the strength to face whatever comes our way.
To answer this question more specifically, about the many benefits of belonging to Jesus, let’s turn to Psalm 103. This psalm is a psalm of David and he begins by praising the Holy Name of God:
Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
And it continues with an exhortation to remember all the benefits the Lord gives:
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
So what are these “benefits?” The list is endless. The Lord has given us so much. He pours out blessings every day. He is the giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17), and with His sufficient grace (2 Cor 12:9) and His power living in us (Col 1:27), we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:28).
Psalm 103 goes on to list the many benefits we are to remember:
- He forgives our iniquities (vs 3)
- He heals our diseases (vs 3)
- He redeems our lives from destruction (vs 4)
- He crowns us with loving kindness and tender mercies (vs 4)
- He satisfies our mouth with good things (vs 5)
- He renews our youth (vs 5)
- He executes righteousness and judgment for the oppressed (vs 6)
- He makes known His ways (vs 7)
- He is merciful, gracious, and slow to anger (vs 8)
- He is forgiving and forgetting of our sins (vs 9, 12)
Verse 12 is of Psalm 103 is one of the most precious verses in all the Bible:
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
How far is the east from the west?
It is never-ending. Consider this: If God had said, as far as the north is from the south, then we could measure that distance. Both the north and the south have a demarcation point, a pole, and the distance can be measured. Starting at the south pole and moving north, one can go no further north than the north pole. Having reached the north pole one would begin a southward journey. However, with no east or west demarcation point, if one starts in the east and moves westward, their journey will be without end.
That’s how far from us our sins have been removed. That’s how full our forgiveness is. Jesus has forgiven us, totally and without end.
The band Casting Crowns summed this up beautifully in their song East to West:
In the arms of Your mercy, I find rest
’cause You know just how far
the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other
Receiving the Benefis
When we truly understand and believe that our sins are forgiven, “as far as the east is from the west,” we find rest. When we “forget not” that we have been washed clean in the blood of Jesus (one scarred hand to the other), we are able to fully receive all the benefits the Lord has given.
A well-known Christian psychologist once said that he would have no patients if he could only convince them that they are truly forgiven.
God tells us that we:
- have been washed clean by the blood (Rev 1:5)
- are clothed in the righteousness of Christ ( 2 Cor 5:20)
- are sealed (Eph 4:30) by the indwelling Holy Spirit
- are taught and directed (John 14:26, John 16:13) by the Holy Spirit’s power
- are promised eternal glory (John 10:28, John 17:22)
As Casting Crowns so beautifully sings in another song, “choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth.” That Voice is Jesus who has promised He will never leave or forsake us. And has promised that we are truly forgiven and forever His. Live in the victory of His life, death, burial, and resurrection. He lived the life we cannot live and He died the death that we should die….all so that we can receive His benefits.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits! Psa 103:2
Tell someone about how their sins can be forgiven as far as the east is from the west, and how they can trust in the Voice of Truth.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas