The first, and foremost, benefit of being a Christian is that we belong to Jesus. In Him, we have eternal life, and in this world, we have a peace and joy that is beyond anything the world can offer. In Jesus we have hope, and we have the strength to face whatever comes our way.
To answer this question more specifically, about the many benefits of belonging to Jesus, let’s turn to Psalm 103. This psalm is a psalm of David and he begins by praising the Holy Name of God:
Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
And it continues with an exhortation to remember all the benefits the Lord gives:
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
So what are these “benefits?” The list is endless. The Lord has given us so much. He pours out blessings every day. He is the giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17), and with His sufficient grace (2 Cor 12:9) and His power living in us (Col 1:27), we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:28).
Psalm 103 goes on to list the many benefits we are to remember:
- He forgives our iniquities (vs 3)
- He heals our diseases (vs 3)
- He redeems our lives from destruction (vs 4)
- He crowns us with loving kindness and tender mercies (vs 4)
- He satisfies our mouth with good things (vs 5)
- He renews our youth (vs 5)
- He executes righteousness and judgment for the oppressed (vs 6)
- He makes known His ways (vs 7)
- He is merciful, gracious, and slow to anger (vs 8)
- He is forgiving and forgetting of our sins (vs 9, 12)
Verse 12 is of Psalm 103 is one of the most precious verses in all the Bible:
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
How far is the east from the west?
It is never-ending. Consider this: If God had said, as far as the north is from the south, then we could measure that distance. Both the north and the south have a demarcation point, a pole, and the distance can be measured. Starting at the south pole and moving north, one can go no further north than the north pole. Having reached the north pole one would begin a southward journey. However, with no east or west demarcation point, if one starts in the east and moves westward, their journey will be without end.
That’s how far from us our sins have been removed. That’s how full our forgiveness is. Jesus has forgiven us, totally and without end.
The band Casting Crowns summed this up beautifully in their song East to West:
In the arms of Your mercy, I find rest
’cause You know just how far
the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other
Receiving the Benefis
When we truly understand and believe that our sins are forgiven, “as far as the east is from the west,” we find rest. When we “forget not” that we have been washed clean in the blood of Jesus (one scarred hand to the other), we are able to fully receive all the benefits the Lord has given.
A well-known Christian psychologist once said that he would have no patients if he could only convince them that they are truly forgiven.
God tells us that we:
- have been washed clean by the blood (Rev 1:5)
- are clothed in the righteousness of Christ ( 2 Cor 5:20)
- are sealed (Eph 4:30) by the indwelling Holy Spirit
- are taught and directed (John 14:26, John 16:13) by the Holy Spirit’s power
- are promised eternal glory (John 10:28, John 17:22)
As Casting Crowns so beautifully sings in another song, “choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth.” That Voice is Jesus who has promised He will never leave or forsake us. And has promised that we are truly forgiven and forever His. Live in the victory of His life, death, burial, and resurrection. He lived the life we cannot live and He died the death that we should die….all so that we can receive His benefits.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits! Psa 103:2
Tell someone about how their sins can be forgiven as far as the east is from the west, and how they can trust in the Voice of Truth.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas