“Confess your trespasses to one another.” James 5:16
It is related of John the evangelist, that being upon his return from Patmos to Ephesus after the death of Domitian, he was set upon by a company of thieves, among whom was a young man, their captain; to whom John applied himself, by way of wholesome counsel and advice, which took so good effect that he became a new man and was converted and went thereupon to all his fellow-thieves and besought them, in the name of Jesus Christ, that they would walk no longer in their former wicked ways. He told them withal, that he was troubled in conscience, and earnestly entreated them that they would now leave off their old courses. The counsel was good and well taken, so that many of those great robbers became great converts. Thus it is that one sinner’s confession of his trespasses to another may happily prove the means of his conversion. Hence the meaning of that precept, “Confess your trespasses one to another,” is thus interpreted by some: That he, for example, who has been a drunkard, should go to his companions in iniquity and tell them that he is troubled in mind, and perhaps he may be a means of converting them. Reader! Are you a converted man? Follow this method; go to your old companions; warn them of their danger; and you will either be a means of converting them, or hereby will get rid of their troublesome company in future. Again, he who has injured another, should confess his fault to him, as well as to God, and beg forgiveness from both.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?