“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble!” Psalm 46:1
“Man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upwards.” The world in which we dwell is but “a valley of tears.” Sin has caused these tears to flow, and every sinner must, sooner or later, pour in his contribution of personal grief to swell the general tide of sorrows.
The domestic circle must be invaded by the ruthless hand of death. Wealth may abound one day, to be followed by poverty the next, or even if retained, riches may prove a source of anxiety and temptation to its possessor.
In short, all must drink of the bitter cup!
Alas, the poor lost sinner, who finds all his happiness in the things of earth–when these are gone, has nothing left. He has no shelter from the storm. It must beat upon his naked head. But not so the Christian. He can say, under the severest afflictions, “God is my refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble!”
Oh, what an unspeakable blessing to have an almighty support! How calming to the soul in the dark hour of adversity to be able to pour all its sorrows into the bosom of God!
- When death has seemed to hover over us, to aim his shafts at us or ours–what sweet consolation have we found in God! In “the secret place of the Most High,” we have been able to dwell safely.
- When the world without has been covered with gloom–all has been sunshine within.
- When the power of the tempter has overwhelmed us–the arm of Jesus has lifted us up and pointed out a way of escape.
Whatever then are our trials, let us still trust in God–our “ever-present help in times of trouble.” Whatever our situation is, His promise is. . .
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me!” 2 Corinthians 12:9
O God, it is the hour of darkness for me. “Fearfulness and trembling have come upon us, and horror has overwhelmed us.” Where can we look but unto You? What now can be our support but Your precious promises?
You have declared Yourself to be “a refuge” to Your people, “their ever-present help in times of trouble.” Often have Your redeemed people experienced the truth of this comforting declaration. When trouble and sorrow, fear and anxiety, have taken hold of them–they have fled to this sweet refuge.
They have poured out their souls unto You–and You have helped them in the time of their distress. You have calmed their rising fears and enabled them to resign every event into Your nail-scarred hands. What peace has then pervaded their souls!
Let Your merciful loving-kindness then visit us in this hour of our tribulation. Hide not Your face from us. O speak peace to our troubled spirits. Hide us under the shadow of Your wings “until these calamities are over and past.”
Strengthen our faith to take a firm hold of Your promises, and let no vicissitudes of this life, no threatening dangers–shake our confidence in You or in Your declarations. For the sake of Jesus Christ, our hope and our Redeemer. Amen.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
At Reasons for Hope* Jesus, we are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and share their faith. We also reach the lost through our Salvation Page.
With your support, we can continue to provide valuable resources and engaging content. Please join us in our mission by donating today. Your generous contribution helps us expand our outreach of sharing biblical truths and hope in Jesus. Thank you for your kindness and for being an integral part of our mission.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED