AUTHORS: Samuel and others
DATE: 930 B.C. and later
In the Hebrew Bible, 1 and 2 Samuel are a single book. On matters of authorship, date, and background, see 1 Samuel Overview and Outline.
First Samuel closes with the death of Israel’s first king, Saul. Second Samuel records the history of Israel’s greatest earthly king, David. Second Samuel records God’s work in the life of David and His establishment of the Davidic dynasty. The book tells of Jerusalem becoming the political and religious center of the nation and it chronicles David’s great military victories as well as his shameful sin with Bathsheba and his mistake in numbering the people. Second Samuel 7:4-14 records the Davidic Covenant God made with David and his posterity, which still awaits God’s perfect fulfillment.
OUTLINE OF 2 SAMUEL
I. David’s Coronation over the Kingdom, 1:1-5:6
A. The Time of the Coronation (After Saul’s Death), 1:1-27
1. The report of Saul’s death, 1:1-10
2. The reaction to Saul’s death, 1:11-16
3. The remorse over Saul’s death, 1:17-27
B. The Extent of the Kingdom (over Judah), 2:1-7
C. The Effort to Include the Other Tribes, 2:8-4:12
1. The rival, Ish-bosheth, 2:8-11
2. The civil war, 2:12-4:12
a. Abner vs. Joab, 2:12-32
b. Abner deserts Ish-bosheth, 3:1-21
c. Joab murders Abner, 3:22-39
d. The murder of Ish-bosheth, 4:1-12
D. David Enthroned over All the Tribes, 5:1-6
II. David’s Consolidation of the Kingdom, 5:7-6:23
A. The Government Established in Jerusalem, 5:7-25
B. The Ark Brought to Jerusalem, 6:1-23
III. David’s Covenant Concerning the Kingdom, 7:1-29
A. David’s Proposal, 7:1-3
B. God’s Disposal, 7:4-29
1. God’s promise, 7:4-17
2. David’s praise, 7:18-29
IV. David’s Conquests for the Kingdom, 8:1-10:19
A. He Defeats Philistia, Moab, Zobah, Aram, Edom, 8:1-18
B. He Shows Kindness to Mephibosheth, 9:1-13
C. He Defeats Ammon, 10:1-19
V. David’s Crimes Within the Kingdom, 11:1-27
A. Adultery, 11:1-13
B. Murder, 11:14-27
VI. David’s Conflicts in the Kingdom, 12:1-20:26
A. The Death of His Baby and the Restoration to Power, 12:1-31
B. The Incest of Amnon, 13:1-39
C. The Rebellion of Absalom, 14:1-18:33
1. Absalom returns, 14:1-33
2. Absalom revolts, 15:1-12
3. Absalom routs David, 15:13-16:14
4. Absalom rules in Jerusalem, 16:15-17:23
5. Absalom is defeated and dies, 17:24-18:33
D. Disorder in the Kingdom, 19:1-39
E. Revolution in the Kingdom, 19:40-20:26
VII. David’s Conclusion in the Kingdom, 21:1-24:25
A. The Famine, 21:1-14
B. The Exploits, 21:15-22
C. The Song of David, 2 Sam 22:1-51
D. The Last Words of David, 23:1-7
E. The Deeds of David’s Mighty Men, 23:8-39
F. The Census and Plague, 24:1-25
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.