AUTHORS: Samuel and others
DATE: 930 B.C. and later
In the Hebrew Bible, 1 and 2 Samuel are a single book. On matters of authorship, date, and background, see 1 Samuel Overview and Outline.
First Samuel closes with the death of Israel’s first king, Saul. Second Samuel records the history of Israel’s greatest earthly king, David. Second Samuel records God’s work in the life of David and His establishment of the Davidic dynasty. The book tells of Jerusalem becoming the political and religious center of the nation and it chronicles David’s great military victories as well as his shameful sin with Bathsheba and his mistake in numbering the people. Second Samuel 7:4-14 records the Davidic Covenant God made with David and his posterity, which still awaits God’s perfect fulfillment.
OUTLINE OF 2 SAMUEL
I. David’s Coronation over the Kingdom, 1:1-5:6
A. The Time of the Coronation (After Saul’s Death), 1:1-27
1. The report of Saul’s death, 1:1-10
2. The reaction to Saul’s death, 1:11-16
3. The remorse over Saul’s death, 1:17-27
B. The Extent of the Kingdom (over Judah), 2:1-7
C. The Effort to Include the Other Tribes, 2:8-4:12
1. The rival, Ish-bosheth, 2:8-11
2. The civil war, 2:12-4:12
a. Abner vs. Joab, 2:12-32
b. Abner deserts Ish-bosheth, 3:1-21
c. Joab murders Abner, 3:22-39
d. The murder of Ish-bosheth, 4:1-12
D. David Enthroned over All the Tribes, 5:1-6
II. David’s Consolidation of the Kingdom, 5:7-6:23
A. The Government Established in Jerusalem, 5:7-25
B. The Ark Brought to Jerusalem, 6:1-23
III. David’s Covenant Concerning the Kingdom, 7:1-29
A. David’s Proposal, 7:1-3
B. God’s Disposal, 7:4-29
1. God’s promise, 7:4-17
2. David’s praise, 7:18-29
IV. David’s Conquests for the Kingdom, 8:1-10:19
A. He Defeats Philistia, Moab, Zobah, Aram, Edom, 8:1-18
B. He Shows Kindness to Mephibosheth, 9:1-13
C. He Defeats Ammon, 10:1-19
V. David’s Crimes Within the Kingdom, 11:1-27
A. Adultery, 11:1-13
B. Murder, 11:14-27
VI. David’s Conflicts in the Kingdom, 12:1-20:26
A. The Death of His Baby and the Restoration to Power, 12:1-31
B. The Incest of Amnon, 13:1-39
C. The Rebellion of Absalom, 14:1-18:33
1. Absalom returns, 14:1-33
2. Absalom revolts, 15:1-12
3. Absalom routs David, 15:13-16:14
4. Absalom rules in Jerusalem, 16:15-17:23
5. Absalom is defeated and dies, 17:24-18:33
D. Disorder in the Kingdom, 19:1-39
E. Revolution in the Kingdom, 19:40-20:26
VII. David’s Conclusion in the Kingdom, 21:1-24:25
A. The Famine, 21:1-14
B. The Exploits, 21:15-22
C. The Song of David, 2 Sam 22:1-51
D. The Last Words of David, 23:1-7
E. The Deeds of David’s Mighty Men, 23:8-39
F. The Census and Plague, 24:1-25
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge