DATE: 66 AD
Some suggest that someone other than Peter might have written this letter around 80 AD. They attribute their reasoning to differences in style, a supposed dependence on Jude, and the mention of Paul’s letters having been collected (2 Pet. 3:16). It’s easy to counter these claims. 1) Using a different scribe or no scribe would have resulted in a different writing style. 2) Nothing clearly suggests that Peter borrowed from Jude and it is more likely that Jude was written after 2 Peter. 3) Second Peter 3:16 would refer to all of Paul’s letters that had been written up to that time. It must be considered that there are similarities between 1 and 2 Peter that indicated the same author. Plus, its inclusion in the canon demands apostolic authority. Therefore, assuming Peter wrote this letter, it was most like written from Rome shortly before his martyrdom in 67 AD.
Peter wrote to remind Christians (1:12; 3:1) of the truth of Christianity as opposed to the heresies of false teachers. He began his letter by introducing two important doctrines: justification, what Jesus did for us to make us righteous before God, and regeneration (2 Peter 1:1-2), the work of the Holy Spirit to give us new birth, so that we can be “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4). Peter also wrote about the Transfiguration (2 Peter 1:16-18), the inspiration of Scripture (2 Peter 1:21), and the certainty of the second coming of Christ (2 Peter 3:4-10).
OUTLINE OF 2 PETER
I. Greetings, 1:1-2
II. The Development of Faith, 1:3-21
A. The Growth of Faith, 1:3-11
B. The Ground of Faith, 1:12-21
III. The Denouncing of False Teachers, 2:1-22
A. Their Conduct, 2:1-3
B. Their Condemnation, 2:4-9
C. Their Characteristics, 2:10-22
IV. The Design of the Future, 3:1-18
A. Derision, 3:1-7
B. Delay, 3:8-9
C. Dissolution, 3:10-13
D. Diligence, 3:14-18
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store