DATE: 66 AD
Some suggest that someone other than Peter might have written this letter around 80 AD. They attribute their reasoning to differences in style, a supposed dependence on Jude, and the mention of Paul’s letters having been collected (2 Pet. 3:16). It’s easy to counter these claims. 1) Using a different scribe or no scribe would have resulted in a different writing style. 2) Nothing clearly suggests that Peter borrowed from Jude and it is more likely that Jude was written after 2 Peter. 3) Second Peter 3:16 would refer to all of Paul’s letters that had been written up to that time. It must be considered that there are similarities between 1 and 2 Peter that indicated the same author. Plus, its inclusion in the canon demands apostolic authority. Therefore, assuming Peter wrote this letter, it was most like written from Rome shortly before his martyrdom in 67 AD.
Peter wrote to remind Christians (1:12; 3:1) of the truth of Christianity as opposed to the heresies of false teachers. He began his letter by introducing two important doctrines: justification, what Jesus did for us to make us righteous before God, and regeneration (2 Peter 1:1-2), the work of the Holy Spirit to give us new birth, so that we can be “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4). Peter also wrote about the Transfiguration (2 Peter 1:16-18), the inspiration of Scripture (2 Peter 1:21), and the certainty of the second coming of Christ (2 Peter 3:4-10).
OUTLINE OF 2 PETER
I. Greetings, 1:1-2
II. The Development of Faith, 1:3-21
A. The Growth of Faith, 1:3-11
B. The Ground of Faith, 1:12-21
III. The Denouncing of False Teachers, 2:1-22
A. Their Conduct, 2:1-3
B. Their Condemnation, 2:4-9
C. Their Characteristics, 2:10-22
IV. The Design of the Future, 3:1-18
A. Derision, 3:1-7
B. Delay, 3:8-9
C. Dissolution, 3:10-13
D. Diligence, 3:14-18
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas