DATE: 66 AD
Some suggest that someone other than Peter might have written this letter around 80 AD. They attribute their reasoning to differences in style, a supposed dependence on Jude, and the mention of Paul’s letters having been collected (2 Pet. 3:16). It’s easy to counter these claims. 1) Using a different scribe or no scribe would have resulted in a different writing style. 2) Nothing clearly suggests that Peter borrowed from Jude and it is more likely that Jude was written after 2 Peter. 3) Second Peter 3:16 would refer to all of Paul’s letters that had been written up to that time. It must be considered that there are similarities between 1 and 2 Peter that indicated the same author. Plus, its inclusion in the canon demands apostolic authority. Therefore, assuming Peter wrote this letter, it was most like written from Rome shortly before his martyrdom in 67 AD.
Peter wrote to remind Christians (1:12; 3:1) of the truth of Christianity as opposed to the heresies of false teachers. He began his letter by introducing two important doctrines: justification, what Jesus did for us to make us righteous before God, and regeneration (2 Peter 1:1-2), the work of the Holy Spirit to give us new birth, so that we can be “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4). Peter also wrote about the Transfiguration (2 Peter 1:16-18), the inspiration of Scripture (2 Peter 1:21), and the certainty of the second coming of Christ (2 Peter 3:4-10).
OUTLINE OF 2 PETER
I. Greetings, 1:1-2
II. The Development of Faith, 1:3-21
A. The Growth of Faith, 1:3-11
B. The Ground of Faith, 1:12-21
III. The Denouncing of False Teachers, 2:1-22
A. Their Conduct, 2:1-3
B. Their Condemnation, 2:4-9
C. Their Characteristics, 2:10-22
IV. The Design of the Future, 3:1-18
A. Derision, 3:1-7
B. Delay, 3:8-9
C. Dissolution, 3:10-13
D. Diligence, 3:14-18
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge