DATE: 63-66 A.D.
The two letters Paul wrote to Timothy and the one he wrote to Titus are called the pastoral epistles. They contain principles for the pastoral care of God’s people, administrative work in churches, and qualifications for ministers of God’s Word.
Timothy was the son of a Greek Gentile father and a devout Jewish mother named Eunice. His association with Paul began at the time of Paul’s second missionary journey and continued on (2 Tim. 1:5; Acts 16:1-3). Paul likely wrote 1 Timothy from Macedonia (1 Tim 1:3). From there he was on to Nicopolis (Titus 3:12). Timothy was left in charge of the work in Ephesus and Asia Minor, and though Paul desired to visit Timothy (1 Tim 3:14; 4:13), this letter would have to serve in guiding him in his pastoral responsibilities.
Paul writes to Timothy personally with a theme that is beneficial to all in the Lord’s service, whether it is vocationally or as a lay person. The theme is fighting “the good fight” (1 Tim 1:18). Paul wrote about behaving in the house of God (1 Tim 3:15), the law as it relates to the church (1 Tim 1:7-11), the importance of prayer (1 Tim 2:1-8), the appearance and role of women in the church (1 Tim 2:9-15), qualifications for bishops or elders and for deacons (1 Tim 3:1-13), the last days (1 Tim 4:1-3), care of widows (1 Tim 5:3-16), and use of money (1 Tim 6:6-19).
OUTLINE OF 1 Timothy
I. Opening Greetings, 1:1-2
II. Instruction Concerning Doctrine, 1:3-20
A. Paul’s Warning Against False Doctrines, 1:3-11
B. Paul’s Testimony Concerning the Grace of God, 1:12-17
C. Paul’s Charge to Timothy, 1:18-20
III. Instruction Concerning Worship, 2:1-15
A. Prayer in the Church, 2:1-8
B. Women in the Church, 2:9-15
IV. Instruction Concerning Leaders, 3:1-16
A. Bishops, 3:1-7
B. Deacons, 3:8-16
V. Instruction Concerning Dangers, 4:1-16
A. Description of the Dangers, 4:1-5
B. Defenses Against the Dangers, 4:6-16
VI. Instruction Concerning Various Duties, 5:1-6:21
A. Toward those Older and Younger, 5:1-2
B. Toward Widows, 5:3-16
C. Toward Elders, 5:17-25
D. Toward Masters and Slaves, 6:1-2
E. Toward False Teachers, 6:3-5
F. Toward Money and Godliness, 6:6-19
G. Toward One’s Trust, 6:20-21
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED