DATE: circa 90 AD
1 John: Tradition strongly supports that John spent his old age in Ephesus. Lack of personal references in this letter indicates that it was written to Christians all over Asia Minor.
John wrote to address the heresy of Gnosticism. Gnosticism does not deal with sin, only ignorance. Gnosticism holds that matter is evil and that overcoming that evil through knowledge. Gnosticism crept into the early Christian church with the false teaching of:
- knowledge is superior to virtue,
- only a select few can understand Scripture,
- evil in the world precludes God’s being the only Creator,
- deity cannot unite itself with anything material such as a body (Docetism), and
- there is no resurrection of the flesh.
John wrote to believers who were dear to him and called them his “little children.” He wrote in concern for their spiritual welfare and presented many of his teachings through contrast, including
- light vs. darkness (1 John 1:6-7; 2:8-11),
- love of world vs. love of God (1 John 2:15-17),
- children of God vs. children of the devil (1 John 3:4-10),
- the Spirit of God vs. the spirit of Antichrist (1 John 4:1-3), and
- love vs. hate (1 John 4:7-12, 16-21).
John wrote about knowing (38 times some form of “know” is used) to give assurance to the children of God (“children” used 12 times) of God’s love (“love” used 33 times).
OUTLINE OF 1 JOHN
I. Introduction: The Purpose of the Letter, 1:1-4
II. Conditions for Fellowship, 1:5-2:2
A. Conformity to a Standard, 1:5-7
B. Confession of Sin, 1:8-2:2
III. Conduct in Fellowship, 2:3-27
A. The Character of Our Conduct–Imitation, 2:3-11
B. The Commandment for Our Conduct– Separation, 2:12-17
C. The Creed for Our Conduct–Affirmation, 2:18-27
IV. Characteristics of Fellowship, 2:28-3:24
A. In Relation to Our Prospect: Purity, 2:28-3:3
B. In Relation to Our Position: Righteousness and Brotherly Love, 3:4-18
C. In Relation to Our Prayers: Answers, 3:19-24
V. Cautions of Fellowship, 4:1-21
A. Concerning False, Lying Spirits, 4:1-6
B. Concerning a True, Loving Spirit, 4:7-21
1. The ground of brotherly love, 4:7-10
2. The glories of love, 4:11-21
VI. Consequences of Fellowship, 5:1-21
A. Love for the Brethren, 5:1-3
B. Victory over the World, 5:4-5
C. Verification of Christ’s Credentials, 5:6-12
D. Assurance of Eternal Life, 5:13
E. Guidance in Prayer, 5:14-17
F. Freedom from Habitual Sin, 5:18-21
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR