DATE: circa 90 AD
1 John: Tradition strongly supports that John spent his old age in Ephesus. Lack of personal references in this letter indicates that it was written to Christians all over Asia Minor.
John wrote to address the heresy of Gnosticism. Gnosticism does not deal with sin, only ignorance. Gnosticism holds that matter is evil and that overcoming that evil through knowledge. Gnosticism crept into the early Christian church with the false teaching of:
- knowledge is superior to virtue,
- only a select few can understand Scripture,
- evil in the world precludes God’s being the only Creator,
- deity cannot unite itself with anything material such as a body (Docetism), and
- there is no resurrection of the flesh.
John wrote to believers who were dear to him and called them his “little children.” He wrote in concern for their spiritual welfare and presented many of his teachings through contrast, including
- light vs. darkness (1 John 1:6-7; 2:8-11),
- love of world vs. love of God (1 John 2:15-17),
- children of God vs. children of the devil (1 John 3:4-10),
- the Spirit of God vs. the spirit of Antichrist (1 John 4:1-3), and
- love vs. hate (1 John 4:7-12, 16-21).
John wrote about knowing (38 times some form of “know” is used) to give assurance to the children of God (“children” used 12 times) of God’s love (“love” used 33 times).
OUTLINE OF 1 JOHN
I. Introduction: The Purpose of the Letter, 1:1-4
II. Conditions for Fellowship, 1:5-2:2
A. Conformity to a Standard, 1:5-7
B. Confession of Sin, 1:8-2:2
III. Conduct in Fellowship, 2:3-27
A. The Character of Our Conduct–Imitation, 2:3-11
B. The Commandment for Our Conduct– Separation, 2:12-17
C. The Creed for Our Conduct–Affirmation, 2:18-27
IV. Characteristics of Fellowship, 2:28-3:24
A. In Relation to Our Prospect: Purity, 2:28-3:3
B. In Relation to Our Position: Righteousness and Brotherly Love, 3:4-18
C. In Relation to Our Prayers: Answers, 3:19-24
V. Cautions of Fellowship, 4:1-21
A. Concerning False, Lying Spirits, 4:1-6
B. Concerning a True, Loving Spirit, 4:7-21
1. The ground of brotherly love, 4:7-10
2. The glories of love, 4:11-21
VI. Consequences of Fellowship, 5:1-21
A. Love for the Brethren, 5:1-3
B. Victory over the World, 5:4-5
C. Verification of Christ’s Credentials, 5:6-12
D. Assurance of Eternal Life, 5:13
E. Guidance in Prayer, 5:14-17
F. Freedom from Habitual Sin, 5:18-21
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas