DATE: circa 90 AD
1 John: Tradition strongly supports that John spent his old age in Ephesus. Lack of personal references in this letter indicates that it was written to Christians all over Asia Minor.
John wrote to address the heresy of Gnosticism. Gnosticism does not deal with sin, only ignorance. Gnosticism holds that matter is evil and that overcoming that evil through knowledge. Gnosticism crept into the early Christian church with the false teaching of:
- knowledge is superior to virtue,
- only a select few can understand Scripture,
- evil in the world precludes God’s being the only Creator,
- deity cannot unite itself with anything material such as a body (Docetism), and
- there is no resurrection of the flesh.
John wrote to believers who were dear to him and called them his “little children.” He wrote in concern for their spiritual welfare and presented many of his teachings through contrast, including
- light vs. darkness (1 John 1:6-7; 2:8-11),
- love of world vs. love of God (1 John 2:15-17),
- children of God vs. children of the devil (1 John 3:4-10),
- the Spirit of God vs. the spirit of Antichrist (1 John 4:1-3), and
- love vs. hate (1 John 4:7-12, 16-21).
John wrote about knowing (38 times some form of “know” is used) to give assurance to the children of God (“children” used 12 times) of God’s love (“love” used 33 times).
OUTLINE OF 1 JOHN
I. Introduction: The Purpose of the Letter, 1:1-4
II. Conditions for Fellowship, 1:5-2:2
A. Conformity to a Standard, 1:5-7
B. Confession of Sin, 1:8-2:2
III. Conduct in Fellowship, 2:3-27
A. The Character of Our Conduct–Imitation, 2:3-11
B. The Commandment for Our Conduct– Separation, 2:12-17
C. The Creed for Our Conduct–Affirmation, 2:18-27
IV. Characteristics of Fellowship, 2:28-3:24
A. In Relation to Our Prospect: Purity, 2:28-3:3
B. In Relation to Our Position: Righteousness and Brotherly Love, 3:4-18
C. In Relation to Our Prayers: Answers, 3:19-24
V. Cautions of Fellowship, 4:1-21
A. Concerning False, Lying Spirits, 4:1-6
B. Concerning a True, Loving Spirit, 4:7-21
1. The ground of brotherly love, 4:7-10
2. The glories of love, 4:11-21
VI. Consequences of Fellowship, 5:1-21
A. Love for the Brethren, 5:1-3
B. Victory over the World, 5:4-5
C. Verification of Christ’s Credentials, 5:6-12
D. Assurance of Eternal Life, 5:13
E. Guidance in Prayer, 5:14-17
F. Freedom from Habitual Sin, 5:18-21
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store