DATE: ca. 625 B.C.
We know from Zeph 1:1 that Zephaniah was of noble birth. He was the great, great grandson of King Hezekiah, one of Judah’s godly kings. Zephaniah’s name means, “whom the Lord hides or protects.” He helped prepare Judah for revival after a long period of being ruled by bad kings, Manasseh and Amon, with evil and idolatry reigning.
Zephaniah’s message was one of God’s coming judgment with the purpose of calling His people to repentance. In 621 BC under King Josiah, reform did come to Judah (2 Chron 34:3), however, the leaders and many of the people later reverted to their old ways and judgment came at the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, in 606/605 BC. The ultimate fulfillment of Zephaniah’s prophecies will yet occur in the Day of the Lord, a reference to a yet future time of tribulation (Matt 24) also known as the seventieth week of Daniel (Daniel 9). Zephaniah also prophesied of the doom of heathen nations, both in the near future (the fall of Ninevah in 612; Zeph 2:13) and in the far future (Zeph 3:8). The book closes with a glorious description of the future Millennium Kingdom.
OUTLINE OF ZEPHANIAH
I. The Author and Time of the Prophecy, 1:1
II. The Prophecies of Judgment, 1:2-3:8
A. Judgment on Judah, 1:2-18
B. An Exhortation to Repent, 2:1-3
C. Judgments on Gentile Nations, 2:4-15
1. Philistia (to the west), 2:4-7
2. Moab and Ammon (to the east), 2:8-11
3. Ethiopia (to the south), 2:12
4. Assyria (to the north), 2:13-15
D. Judgment on Jerusalem, 3:1-7
E. Judgment on the Nations, 3:8
III. The Prophecies of Blessing, 3:9-20
A. Future Blessings for Gentiles, 3:9-10
B. Future Blessings for Jews, 3:11-20
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED