DATE: ca. 625 B.C.
We know from Zeph 1:1 that Zephaniah was of noble birth. He was the great, great grandson of King Hezekiah, one of Judah’s godly kings. Zephaniah’s name means, “whom the Lord hides or protects.” He helped prepare Judah for revival after a long period of being ruled by bad kings, Manasseh and Amon, with evil and idolatry reigning.
Zephaniah’s message was one of God’s coming judgment with the purpose of calling His people to repentance. In 621 BC under King Josiah, reform did come to Judah (2 Chron 34:3), however, the leaders and many of the people later reverted to their old ways and judgment came at the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, in 606/605 BC. The ultimate fulfillment of Zephaniah’s prophecies will yet occur in the Day of the Lord, a reference to a yet future time of tribulation (Matt 24) also known as the seventieth week of Daniel (Daniel 9). Zephaniah also prophesied of the doom of heathen nations, both in the near future (the fall of Ninevah in 612; Zeph 2:13) and in the far future (Zeph 3:8). The book closes with a glorious description of the future Millennium Kingdom.
OUTLINE OF ZEPHANIAH
I. The Author and Time of the Prophecy, 1:1
II. The Prophecies of Judgment, 1:2-3:8
A. Judgment on Judah, 1:2-18
B. An Exhortation to Repent, 2:1-3
C. Judgments on Gentile Nations, 2:4-15
1. Philistia (to the west), 2:4-7
2. Moab and Ammon (to the east), 2:8-11
3. Ethiopia (to the south), 2:12
4. Assyria (to the north), 2:13-15
D. Judgment on Jerusalem, 3:1-7
E. Judgment on the Nations, 3:8
III. The Prophecies of Blessing, 3:9-20
A. Future Blessings for Gentiles, 3:9-10
B. Future Blessings for Jews, 3:11-20
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas