DATE: 520-518 B.C.
Zechariah was the grandson of Iddo, a priest who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel and Joshua (Neh. 12:4). According to tradition, Iddo was a member of the Great Synagogue (the governing body of the Jews before the Sanhedrin). The name Zechariah means “Yahweh remembers.” It was a popular name (used in the Old Testament of 27 other people) and an appropriate name for this prophet who exhorted the people to return to God.
Zechariah was a contemporary of the prophet Haggai, the first postexilic prophet (Ezra 5:1; 6:14), and he prophesied more about the Messiah than any other prophet except Isaiah. In the book of Zechariah, the Messiah is presented as the Shepherd, the Stone, the Coming King, and the Branch who will remove iniquity. We read prophecies of Christ’s first coming, including His triumphal entry on a donkey, His being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver, of His Crucifixion (Zech. 3:8; 9:9, 16; 11:11-13; 12:10; 13:1, 6), and prophecies that will be fulfilled at His second coming (Zech 6:12; 14:1-21).
Zechariah’s prophecy begins with a strong call to repentance (Zech 1:1-6), a prerequisite to experiencing the blessings of consolation and hope this book proclaims.
OUTLINE OF ZECHARIAH
I. The Call to Repentance, 1:1-6
II. The Visions of Zechariah, 1:7-6:15
A. The Vision of the Horses and Riders, 1:7-17
B. The Vision of the Four Horns and Four Craftsmen, 1:18-21
C. The Vision of the Surveyor, 2:1-13
D. The Vision of Joshua the High Priest, Zech 3:1-10
E. The Vision of the Golden Lampstand, 4:1-14
F. The Vision of the Flying Scroll, 5:1-4
G. The Vision of the Woman in the Ephah, 5:5-11
H. The Vision of the Four Chariots, 6:1-8
I. The Crowning of Joshua, Zech 6:9-15
III. The Questions Concerning Fasts, 7:1-8:23
A. The Fasts, 7:1-3
B. The Failure of the People, 7:4-14
C. The Future for Jerusalem, 8:1-23
IV. The Oracles Concerning the Future, 9:1-14:21
A. The First Oracle, 9:1-11:17
1. The victories of Alexander the Great, 9:1-8
2. The comings of the King, 9:9-10
3. The victories of the Maccabees, 9:11-17
4. The blessings from Messiah, 10:1-12
5. The rejection of the Shepherd, 11:1-17
B. The Second Oracle, 12:1-14:21
1. The Lord’s care for Jerusalem, 12:1-14
2. The Lord’s cleansing of Jerusalem 13:1-9
3. The Lord’s second coming to Jerusalem, 14:1-21
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas