DATE: 520-518 B.C.
Zechariah was the grandson of Iddo, a priest who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel and Joshua (Neh. 12:4). According to tradition, Iddo was a member of the Great Synagogue (the governing body of the Jews before the Sanhedrin). The name Zechariah means “Yahweh remembers.” It was a popular name (used in the Old Testament of 27 other people) and an appropriate name for this prophet who exhorted the people to return to God.
Zechariah was a contemporary of the prophet Haggai, the first postexilic prophet (Ezra 5:1; 6:14), and he prophesied more about the Messiah than any other prophet except Isaiah. In the book of Zechariah, the Messiah is presented as the Shepherd, the Stone, the Coming King, and the Branch who will remove iniquity. We read prophecies of Christ’s first coming, including His triumphal entry on a donkey, His being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver, of His Crucifixion (Zech. 3:8; 9:9, 16; 11:11-13; 12:10; 13:1, 6), and prophecies that will be fulfilled at His second coming (Zech 6:12; 14:1-21).
Zechariah’s prophecy begins with a strong call to repentance (Zech 1:1-6), a prerequisite to experiencing the blessings of consolation and hope this book proclaims.
OUTLINE OF ZECHARIAH
I. The Call to Repentance, 1:1-6
II. The Visions of Zechariah, 1:7-6:15
A. The Vision of the Horses and Riders, 1:7-17
B. The Vision of the Four Horns and Four Craftsmen, 1:18-21
C. The Vision of the Surveyor, 2:1-13
D. The Vision of Joshua the High Priest, Zech 3:1-10
E. The Vision of the Golden Lampstand, 4:1-14
F. The Vision of the Flying Scroll, 5:1-4
G. The Vision of the Woman in the Ephah, 5:5-11
H. The Vision of the Four Chariots, 6:1-8
I. The Crowning of Joshua, Zech 6:9-15
III. The Questions Concerning Fasts, 7:1-8:23
A. The Fasts, 7:1-3
B. The Failure of the People, 7:4-14
C. The Future for Jerusalem, 8:1-23
IV. The Oracles Concerning the Future, 9:1-14:21
A. The First Oracle, 9:1-11:17
1. The victories of Alexander the Great, 9:1-8
2. The comings of the King, 9:9-10
3. The victories of the Maccabees, 9:11-17
4. The blessings from Messiah, 10:1-12
5. The rejection of the Shepherd, 11:1-17
B. The Second Oracle, 12:1-14:21
1. The Lord’s care for Jerusalem, 12:1-14
2. The Lord’s cleansing of Jerusalem 13:1-9
3. The Lord’s second coming to Jerusalem, 14:1-21
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas