Science reports recent Hubble discoveries that show galaxies millions of light years from earth. If the light we see TODAY is from these galaxies, then that means the light left the surface of the galaxies far beyond the existence of the earth due to the distance it travels. We know that light travels 186,000 miles a second and the earth was created in 6 days. But if the statements are true, then either light must travel faster than the known calculations OR the galaxies are closer to us than what is reported.
So how do we witness to people who argue these things?
First, there are many variables to the statements made by science. For one thing, we don’t know for certain that the speed of light is constant. Textbooks reference Einstein’s theory of special relativity that sets the speed of light at 186,000 miles per second (300 million meters per second) and say that the speed of light is constant, but over the last couple centuries, there have been studies that suggest the speed of light is decreasing. Additionally, photons (light particles) have a drag coefficient and are subject to friction so we don’t know that light travels at the same speed in deep space. For more information, visit www.answersingenesis.org and www.creation.com
So let’s answer the question:
How do we witness to those who argue what science reports?
The answer is: in the same way we witness to anyone. Don’t spend time arguing scientific facts. That’s debating science. It’s not witnessing about Jesus. Address the statements, but then turn the conversation to one of spiritual importance.
- Ask if the person has ever considered where they will go when they die?
- Tell them that Jesus opened the way to eternal life with God.
- Ask if they think they are good enough to go to Heaven.
If they answer, yes, and say they are good enough to go to Heaven, then ask why? They’ll probably tell you that they are a pretty good person. Tell them that “good” isn’t good enough to get into Heaven. One has to be perfect…but no one can be. So God sent His Son.
Tell Them About Jesus
Jesus, who is God, entered into our world and took on flesh. He lived the perfect life, He took our sins upon Himself, He died to pay for our sins, then was buried and three days later rose from the grave, conquering death and opening the way to Heaven.
Share the gospel of saving grace with those who desire to argue science reports. Tell them they need to turn to Jesus and trust in Him for the forgiveness of their sins. But always do it with kindness.
In your conversation, don’t deny their interest in science. Briefly address the science issues, the best you can. But then move on. Don’t let a debate about science direct the conversation or cloud the importance of the gospel message. Be bold, be kind, and be wise. Share the love of Jesus and tell of His desire to give salvation to all who repent and trust in Him.
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas