Science reports recent Hubble discoveries that show galaxies millions of light years from earth. If the light we see TODAY is from these galaxies, then that means the light left the surface of the galaxies far beyond the existence of the earth due to the distance it travels. We know that light travels 186,000 miles a second and the earth was created in 6 days. But if the statements are true, then either light must travel faster than the known calculations OR the galaxies are closer to us than what is reported.
So how do we witness to people who argue these things?
First, there are many variables to the statements made by science. For one thing, we don’t know for certain that the speed of light is constant. Textbooks reference Einstein’s theory of special relativity that sets the speed of light at 186,000 miles per second (300 million meters per second) and say that the speed of light is constant, but over the last couple centuries, there have been studies that suggest the speed of light is decreasing. Additionally, photons (light particles) have a drag coefficient and are subject to friction so we don’t know that light travels at the same speed in deep space. For more information, visit www.answersingenesis.org and www.creation.com
So let’s answer the question:
How do we witness to those who argue what science reports?
The answer is: in the same way we witness to anyone. Don’t spend time arguing scientific facts. That’s debating science. It’s not witnessing about Jesus. Address the statements, but then turn the conversation to one of spiritual importance.
- Ask if the person has ever considered where they will go when they die?
- Tell them that Jesus opened the way to eternal life with God.
- Ask if they think they are good enough to go to Heaven.
If they answer, yes, and say they are good enough to go to Heaven, then ask why? They’ll probably tell you that they are a pretty good person. Tell them that “good” isn’t good enough to get into Heaven. One has to be perfect…but no one can be. So God sent His Son.
Tell Them About Jesus
Jesus, who is God, entered into our world and took on flesh. He lived the perfect life, He took our sins upon Himself, He died to pay for our sins, then was buried and three days later rose from the grave, conquering death and opening the way to Heaven.
Share the gospel of saving grace with those who desire to argue science reports. Tell them they need to turn to Jesus and trust in Him for the forgiveness of their sins. But always do it with kindness.
In your conversation, don’t deny their interest in science. Briefly address the science issues, the best you can. But then move on. Don’t let a debate about science direct the conversation or cloud the importance of the gospel message. Be bold, be kind, and be wise. Share the love of Jesus and tell of His desire to give salvation to all who repent and trust in Him.
About "Ask Alex Online:" Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
About Truth for a New Generation Conferences: Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store