When you think about the reasons Jesus came, Christmas becomes all the more meaningful. A number of important realities converged in Christ’s arrival on earth.
1. Prophecy was Fulfilled
The Messiah’s coming had been promised by God through the Jewish Scriptures, and was a hope cherished by humanity for centuries. The first chapter of Matthew includes a lengthy list of Jesus’ ancestors. Their miraculous lives were meticulously recorded to verify that Jesus had the proper family pedigree to claim the messianic title Son of David. Verse 22 explains that “all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.” Jesus taught that His life was the theme and fulfillment of the Old Testament Scriptures (Luke 24:27; John 5:39).
2. The Person of God was Displayed
A man was asked by Jesus, “Do you believe in the Son of God?” The man answered as millions would respond today: “Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?”(John 9:35-36). Jesus said to the man, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you” (John 9:37, NIV). The man then offered a response that God alone is worthy to receive. He worshiped Jesus, and Jesus received the worship. Jesus assured us that “He who has seen Me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).
3. Payment for Sin was Made
Jesus was born to die. He was designated to be the perfect sacrificial Lamb who would go to the altar for all of humanity. First Peter 1:19 says that Jesus was “a lamb without blemish and without spot.” Jesus came to atone and pay for my sin and for yours (see also Isaiah 53:5-6; John 1:29; and Revelation 5:6).
4. Victory Over Death Occurred
All the way back in the garden, God had warned Adam and Eve that their disobedience would yield a bitter outcome—death (Genesis 2:17). The fruit of sin—death—is seen in Scripture, throughout history and in today’s headlines. But Jesus came to give life and to destroy death (see John 10:10; Romans 5:12-21; and 1 Corinthians 15:22, 26). Jesus alone could conquer sin and its results.
5. Satan was Defeated
It is no wonder that Satan worked through human operatives in a futile ploy to destroy the infant Jesus (see Matthew 2:16-18). At least to some degree, Satan knew that Jesus’ birth signaled his ultimate destruction. First John 3:8 says, “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work” (NIV).
6. History was Ushered Along
No one knows exactly when Jesus will return. But, obviously, His Second Coming must be preceded by a first. We may not be able to read the clock of history with dogmatic precision, but Hebrews 1:2 speaks of the life of Jesus as part of the “last days.” This verse uses the word from which we get the term eschatology, meaning “last things.” Christ’s coming was a key development in the unfolding of historical events. With an interesting choice of words, 1 Corinthians 10:11 calls the life, death and resurrection of Jesus the fulfillment of the ages.
Clearly, Jesus came for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was to show love to you and to me. In entering this world (through a rough stable, no less), God thoroughly identified with humanity. Hebrews reminds us that Jesus, our High Priest, was put through more temptations, agonies and challenges than any of us will ever face, yet He never sinned (see Hebrews 4:14-16). We can never say, “Jesus doesn’t understand what I’m going through.” In living here, suffering and rising from death, Jesus felt all of our pains and more.
Christmas is about an individual and an event—Jesus, the Christ, and His entrance into history. Scripture teaches that the manger held not just another baby, but God Himself, clothed in human flesh. A real Messiah entered actual time and space to resolve a real condition. The condition is sin; the prescribed remedy is found in the One whom Scripture calls “Savior,” Jesus Christ.
It has been said, “Many men have sought to be God, but only one God sought to be man.” Much of the world now opts for an undefined observance called “the holidays,” rather than commemorating Jesus and the reasons for which He came.
But Christians celebrate Christ—a specific Person who was born for a definite purpose.
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?”
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause To Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com