I first heard the song “One Pure and Holy Passion” in 2001. ¹ The words to the song are moving and inspiring; and they have been hidden in my heart for many years. I often recall the words as a reminder of the Person I want to follow, the Person I want to be the focus of my thoughts, and the Person who is the recipient of my heart’s affection.
Take a minute and listen to the song. Pay close attention to the words.
Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You
I’ve been a Christian since childhood, but, in the early 2000s, Jesus truly became my magnificent obsession. I acquired a hunger for the Word that led to a book-by-book study through the Bible. When I picked up the Bible to begin my journey from Genesis to Revelation, it was rather daunting. So I prayed, “Lord if you want me to read and study this book from beginning to end, please help me. Open my understanding and reveal what you would have me learn.”
God answered my prayer in a mighty way. As we all know, the early 2000s brought greater access to biblical teachings. In addition to print format, there was a rapidly increasing number of audio and video resources available. Sermons were recorded on cassettes and messages were being posted online. Within a few short years, many churches were distributing videos of message onDVDs. And then, with the advent of high-speed internet and YouTube, access to video teachings increased exponentially. Today, we are so fortunate to have access to God’s Word in so many formats. It has never been easier to read, study, and better understand God’s Word.
A Glorious Ambition
As I began reading and studying the Bible, it became a glorious ambition. I became obsessed. The more I read, the more, the more I wanted to read. It became a magnificent obsession.
As I continued my journey from Genesis to Revelation, it became very clear that the Bible is a Book without end. The wealth of the knowledge found in God’s Word can never be exhausted or fully apprehended. The depths of the Waters of the Word are deeper than we can fathom. The riches of its blessings are greater than we can perceive. And the power of God’s Word is beyond our comprehension. As the song says, knowing Jesus and following hard after Him is a “glorious ambition.”.
The Magnificent Obsession
I encourage everyone to diligently read and study the Bible, The magnificent obsession of knowing and following Jesus begins with a glorious ambition, a pure and holy passion to seek Him and surrender to His will. This comes from renewing the mind (Ro 12:2). The Bible tells us that “we have the mind of Christ” (1 Cor 2:16, Phil 2:5), which speaks of the unity that we have in Christ, and that we can truly know the mind, heart, and will of God by looking to Jesus.
We are one with Jesus, in a precious union that is mysterious, unfathomable and yet guaranteed and understandable. Through the words of the Bible, we uncover the mysteries of our relationship with Jesus and God’s purpose and plan for our lives. His revealed will is found on every page of the Bible. Through the words of Scripture that we are assured of His love, mercy, grace, and faithfulness toward us. Reading about all that God has done in the past for His people Israel, all that Jesus did and taught in His earthly ministry, Jesus’ sacrificial atonement that paid for the sins of the world, he apostle Paul’s letters, and the words of other disciple’s writings, we come to understand the mysteries of God and the riches of Christ.
Read the Bible
In the Bible, we are provided with all we need for direction and hope in daily life. Our direction is on a path home, to a destination in Heaven with our Saviour. We are to live with our eyes set on eternity, our eyes fixed on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2). We are to make Him our “magnificent obsession, ” our one and only magnificent obsession. With our eyes fixed on Jesus, and our hearts devoted to Him, He is our “one pure and holy passion.” With a devoted heart, God will give us the glorious ambition that fuels our magnificent obsession. The song says…
To know and follow hard after You
To grow as your disciple in your truth
Following hard after Jesus starts with knowing Him, and growing as a His disciple comes from knowing His Truth. Paul reminds us that “faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God” (Ro 10:17). Reading the Bible is important because His words will transform our lives and direct our thoughts, words, and actions.. Jesus also desires that we respond to His words, in prayer. When we read the Bible, God speaks to us, and when we pray, we speak to God. It becomes a two-way relationship. Reading the Bible and praying will unleash the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives and enable us to glorify the One we love.
How We Live is a Choice
That’s what this magnificent obsession song is all about…how we live our lives. We make a choice, daily, to follow after Jesus and be led by Him or to let the world lead and direct our lives. The song reminds us of the futility of following worldly ways.
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
The world, and all that it has to offer, will never satisfy an eternal soul that hungers to know it’s Creator. God is certainly revealed in creation, and it testifies to the magnificence of Him as Creator, but it’s only through His Word that God fully reveals His love , mercy, grace, and salvation that is found in Jesus.
Knowing Jesus should be the desire in our magnificence obsession, the purity and holiness in our passion, and the glory in our ambition. Read the Bible and draw closer to Jesus and then your plea will echo the closing words of “One Pure and Holy Passion” . . .
Lead me on and I will run after you.
¹One Pure and Holy Passion. Written by Mark Allotrope; recorded by Candi Pearson on “Passion: One Day Live,” 2000
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED