By Shari Abbott, Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Luke 19:41-42 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, “If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.
Do we see “the things that make for our peace?” Or are are we blind to such things?
The Jews were given so much, especially in the time that Jesus referred to — “this your day.” Jesus lived with them and walked among them. He taught them, and He did miracles and healed the sick. God gave incredible signs and wonders that they might believe. And yet Jesus wept for them, because they had not seen and believed. He stood over the city of Jerusalem, the name which means city of peace, and He wept.
When Jesus wept for those in Jerusalem, He wept for the sin of the world — past, present and future. He knew that both the Romans and the Jews in this city, God’s city, would reject Him. Jesus said, “If you had known, even you, especially in this your day…”
This was their “day.” Jesus had presented Himself to them, and the multitude of disciples had just praised God…
Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. Luke 19:38
Then as He beheld the city, Jesus wept.
This is our “day.” God has placed us in this time and place, according to His perfect will and with a mission for each one of us.
As Christians, we see Jesus, we know Him, but do we weep over those in our life who have been told that Jesus is the way to salvation, and yet they do not see? Does it break our hearts as it broke Jesus’ heart?
Remember, God desires that none should perish (2 Peter 3:9). What breaks His heart should also break our hearts. God’s offer of salvation is available to all in this our day…until the day when someone takes their last breath.
Before you weep over a lost friend or family member at their funeral, weep over their unrepentant sin now. Then boldly share the saving grace of Jesus Christ with them. Pray that God will open their ears that they might hear and open their eyes that they might see the glory of eternal life in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Receive articles in your inbox. Sign up NOW.
Got Questions? We have Reasons for Hope
Reasons Books 1, 2 & 3
Come now, and let us reason together… At Reasons for Hope we invite our community to ask questions. Each book answers 30 of those questions with answers and reasoning from God’s Word.
Buy PRINT books or eBOOKS!
All proceeds from products at the store go to support the ministry outreach of Reasons for Hope.
The Top Ten Got Questions? of 2015
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is It a Sin to Drink Alcohol?
- The Meaning of Colors in the Bible? /The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- What is the unpardonable sin? What if I commit it?
- Is it a sin to be fat?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
- Is there a hidden message in Rev 7? Why is Dan missing?
- Did Jesus descend into Hell?
- Where did OT saints go at death? What’s Abraham’s Bosom?
Recent Got Questions?
- Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
- Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
- Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn’t die?
- Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
- Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
- How should I WITNESS to Jehovah’s Witnesses?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the Jordan River mean?