From Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi we read,
“For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.” (Philippians 1:21-24 – NASB)
Many times through the New Testament letters of the apostle Paul believers are instructed by him to follow his example as they live out their new life in Christ here on this earth. Paul confidently tells us that his walk, his thoughts, his desires, that all of these as they are revealed in the Scriptures, are approved of God and as such are godly patterns for each of us to live by (cf. II Timothy 3:16-17).
My portion of Scripture that I have chosen today speaks to us about a mind-set, a most proper mind-set for the disciple of Christ. I am of the belief it provides us with some very valuable insights in regards to our living life. There value lies in that they speak to our purpose for being here, as to why it is we are here, why we “remain on,” and at the same time they speak to what should be our ultimate “desire.” Oh how important it is that we seek to understand these things if our life is to be lived with a quality, with a purpose, with a right purpose, and not in the end be a life void of any lasting effect.
Paul said that “for to (him), to live is Christ.” If he was going to be inhabiting the flesh, moving from point to point on planet earth, then it was for “Christ” that he did so. What a marvelous pattern of purpose for our lives, for us to follow after, having the mind-set that for us “to live is Christ,” that Jesus be manifested through us to a lost and dying world. His life, His words, His love, His hope, all conveyed to the world through us as we say along with the apostle Paul, “For to me, to live is Christ.”
Note well that Paul was adamant that “to die is gain.” For his strong “desire” was “to depart” the “flesh,” the earthly realms, and “be with Christ.” Why? Because he said, “for that is very much better.” Oh what a valuable thing to know, is it not? Brethren, the apostle tells us “to die is gain,” to “be with Christ . . . is very much better.”
But it was not yet his time to “be with Christ,” there was work yet for Paul to do. And even though he “desired to depart” that was not God’s will for him yet. No, he had purpose, for “to remain on in the flesh” he knew was for the “sake” of fellow believers, for the “sake” of the church; ultimately for the “sake” of “Christ.”
We, brethren, while still inhabiting this “flesh,” have a great deal to learn from these Scripture passages. For certain we learn that to “be with Christ . . . to die is gain.” It is, Paul says, “very much better.” But since it is that God has determined we are “to remain on in the flesh” then let us do so for the “sake” of “Christ,” and thus for the “sake” of one another. There is a very important purpose for us being here on this earth . . . there is reason for us to “live on.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and seek to live as God teaches us to live through the example of the apostle Paul, with the same mind-set that embraces the same desires, the same purposes.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas