It’s clear throughout the Bible that as children of God we are also His ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20) and we are commissioned to share the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and to proclaim the truths of the Bible. We can do so boldly with confidence and courage knowing that He is with us always (Joshua 1:9, Matthew 2:20, Hebrews 13:5).
In recent years, one of the best examples of courage and boldness in proclaiming God’s Word has been Franklin Graham. He has made public statements on abortion and gay marriage, the growing influence of false religions, apostasy in the church, and much more. In every case he has spoken the truths of God as revealed in the Bible, and has shared the gospel of saving grace in Jesus Christ. His boldness should be a witness and an encouragement to all of us. He is doing as Paul spoke of in Ephesians chapter six.
Ephesians 6:19-20 …that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Are we doing the same? Speaking boldly as we ought to speak? If not, why not? In most cases, I contend, it is because we don’t believe we are equipped to do so. Interestingly, Paul made this comment about boldly proclaiming the gospel after writing about all that we have been given to equip us.
The Whole Armor of God
Ephesians 6:11-20 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints; and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
We are all familiar with this passage about the “armor of God.” The Word tells us that it will protect us against the enemy, but that’s not the only purpose of this armor. All too often when reading this passage, we stop at verse 18 and neglect the verse in which Paul tells that he prays to be empowered to speak boldly “to make known the mystery of the gospel.”
Reading this passage with verses 19-20 in mind, we are reminded that we are very well equipped to be ambassadors for Christ with six pieces of armor: 1) the belt of truth, 2) the breastplate of righteousness, 3) the shoes of the gospel of peace, 4) the shield of faith, 5) the helmet of salvation and 6) the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God. Add to this the power of prayer and we are equipped to be victorious in all that we do. All of these are gifts from God, as well as the utterances that He gives us from the Holy Spirit.
We are able to overcome any fear or doubt about our ability to speak boldly the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ when we truly believe that we have this armor and the power of the Holy Spirit.
It is only by believing better that we are emboldened to fulfill our commission to go out and preach the gospel. Paul was so clearly commissioned by the Lord Himself, and the same is true for us:
Acts 26:17b-18 I [Jesus] send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
We know that: “The Lord is…not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9) and, just like Paul, we are to share the truth of His saving grace so eyes might be opened and the lost might turn from darkness to light, from Satan to God.
Paul understood this was his duty, for he said:“Unto me … is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ” (Ephesians 3:8). To us also is this grace given, a grace that empowers and emboldens us to preach the “unsearchable riches of Christ.” Don’t waste your grace…use it…always remembering:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one t
hat believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
Sign up & receive articles in your inbox. Sign Up Here
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED