Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From Matthew’s gospel we read,
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do men light a lamp, and put it under the peck-measure, but on the lampstand; and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16 – NASB)
In recent years the individual person has become the focus in many churches. Self and the satisfaction and the glorification of self have become the distorted goal of ministry in many a church establishment. A great deal of effort is put into bringing attention to the person, so that person can have a sense of value, a sense of worth. Robert Schuller did not create this distorted self thing but he, along with many others and a strong dose of New Age/eastern religion, has sure helped it along. And now, in so many different ways, it has become all too common for the church-going individual to say and to do what he or she says or does for their own edification. You might say they are “letting (their) light shine” for their glory.
All too often the mind-set is, “Oh I have such a sense of self-worth when I do good deeds. Oh my self-esteem is so energized when I ‘let (my) light shine before men.’ Oh I feel so personally fulfilled!” Even when a person fails it has become all too common for them to think they have failed themselves instead of failing God.
Talk about missing the point! Talk about having it all wrong! Self, brethren, is a dangerous thing when it infiltrates the body of Christ. The distortion it causes ends up corrupting the work of God that is to be to the glory of God.
There it is! That’s it! To the glory of God! Not to our glory but to Him and for Him we “let (our) light shine before men,” and we do so that “they may see (our) good works” and thus “glorify (our) Father who is in heaven.” Now that is hitting the point!
Brethren, look at this point re-emphasized by the apostle Paul,
“For not one of us lives for himself, and not one of us dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord . . .” (Romans 14:7-8 – NASB)
And then again,
“Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” (I Corinthians 6:19-20 – NASB)
Talk about missing the point! When we seek to do what we do for our own recognition, for our own self gratification, for our own glory, we have it all wrong!
Jesus never told us to embrace self but called us to deny self, take up our cross and so die to self, and follow Him (Matthew 16:24). He saved us to be “Lord” of our lives, to be “a temple of the Holy Spirit,” and such to “glorify God in (our) body.” We “let (our) light shine before men,” showing forth the works of a new life, a new walk, the desired result being that “they (men) may see (our) good works and glorify (our) Father who is in heaven.”
It is never about glorifying self . . . it is always about glorifying Him!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk let that light of Christ and His Word shine out from you to a dark and dying world, and do it for the right reason: that God receives all the glory!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED