Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From John’s gospel we read the words of Jesus regarding the coming of the Holy Spirit,
“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth . . . He will bear witness of Me . . . And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment . . . He will guide you into all the truth . . . He shall glorify Me.” (John 15:26; 16:8,13-14)
Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be “sent . . . from the Father,” and that He who “is the Spirit of Truth,” would come and “convict the world concerning sin.”
These verses of holy Scripture cause me to think of Jonathan Edwards, the magnificent scholar and preacher in America during the early 1700s. Jesus’ words about the Holy Spirit call to mind that famous message that Edwards preached, “Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God.”
J. Wilbur Chapman has written regarding Edwards and his sermon,
“He had a little manuscript which he held up so close to his face that they could not see his countenance. He went on and on until the people in the crowded church were tremendously moved. One man sprang to his feet, rushed down the aisles and cried, ‘Mr. Edwards, have mercy!’ Other men caught hold of the backs of the pews lest they should slip into perdition.”
Oh, what a powerful message it was that early morning back in the time of our country’s early history. A message that “the Spirit of Truth” used to “convict” those who attended that service “concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment.” It has been said that the power of that message brought many men and women to God that day.
What is interesting to note is the history behind the message, and what Edwards did before he ever stepped to the pulpit. Chapman writes,
“For three days Edwards had not eaten a mouthful of food; for three nights he had not closed his eyes in sleep. Over and over again, he had been saying to God, ‘Give me New England! Give me New England!’ When he rose from his knees and made his way into the pulpit, they say that he looked as if he had been gazing straight into the face of God. They say that before he opened his lips to speak, conviction fell upon his audience.”
Yes, “before he opened his lips to speak, conviction” of sin and a need for Christ was already “upon his audience.” Edwards had prepared the way with prayer and fasting, and the Holy Spirit did His work!
I have pastored, I have taught, and I have discipled, but I have never come close to applying myself to this labor as Jonathan Edwards did. I have never experienced the results he witnessed that morning. I am in awe, while at the same time being convicted of falling so very short of the example this great man of God has set before me.
Oh “Spirit of Truth,” may each one of us who professes Christ remember who You are and what You are capable of doing and may it be our desire that you work through us, just as you did through your servant Jonathan Edwards.
Have a good day . . . and as you order your steps this day may they be ordered in submission to the Holy Spirit. May He might accomplish through you the work that Christ sent Him to do.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED