“Not to be soon shaken in mind.” 2 Thessalonians 2:2
“I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” 1 Corinthians 2:2
“In whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:3
O my blessed Savior, enable me to rest humbly and quietly in You, avoiding all such novelties as might breed presumption, distract my thoughts, and cause my heart to swerve from You. Whoever has tasted the sweetness of Your Word will be satisfied with it; and better it is to improve in the life of faith and power of godliness, than in new words, forms, and professions.
May the Lord quicken me by the truths that have been established of old and humble my heart evermore, so that I may receive them better and abide in that which I have heard from the beginning! Novelty often proves the bane of souls and is always calculated to unsettle and distract them. It is work enough for the meek and quiet to keep within the bounds divinely prescribed and effectually to center in God. How can such enjoy true rest who, from a vain curiosity to know everything, are continually longing to hear new doctrines?
Lord, save me from this mental fluctuation, and make me determined to know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified. My soul, let God’s word alone be your guide and directory, and beware of “lo here” and “lo there.”
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store