DATE: ca. 1000 B.C.
The author is unknown, though Samuel is suggested by some. The events of the book of Ruth took place during the period of the judges (latter part of the 12th century B.C.), but the book was not written until later. Notice that the author explains customs that were no longer being practiced (4:6-8.)
Chapter four gives a genealogy from Perez (the illegitimate son of Tamar and Judah Gen 38:1-3) to Obed (the son of Ruth and Boaz) and beyond to David (son of Jesse), which strongly suggests that the book was written during David’s reign as King of Israel. If it had been written later, it likely would have extended beyond David to include Solomon.
The book of Ruth tells the story of ordinary, though godly, people during the turbulent period of the judges. It shows an oasis of faithfulness in a time marked by idolatry and unfaithfulness. It is a book that presents a typological picture of Jesus, Israel, and the Church.
Moab represents the world, to which Elimelech took his family when there was famine in Bethlehem (means the House of Bread).
Elimelech’s family is a type of Israel’s suffering [illustrated by the deaths in the land of Moab.
Naomi is a type of prodigal Israel, who left/rejected their Messiah and will return/seek Him.
Orpah is a type of a professor, but not a possessor. She first desired to go with Naomi to Bethlehem, but turned away and went back to the world.
Ruth is both a professor (“your God will be my God” 1:16) and possessor who returned to Bethlehem with Naomi (1:19). Ruth is also a type of the Gentile Bride of Christ.
Boaz was the kinsman redeemer, who redeems Naomi by marrying Ruth and he is an example of the Kinsman Redeemer, Jesus, who God would send to redeem mankind. Boaz met all the requirements of a kinsman redeemer: a blood relative (Rom. 1:3; Heb. 2:14) with the ability and willingness to pay the price to purchase the forfeited inheritance (1 Peter 1:18-19, Heb. 10:7).
The typology of the book of Ruth is rich and revealing. It paints a beautiful picture of God’s love and faithfulness as well as His perfect plan of redemption and His sovereignty in caring for His people (Ruth 2:12).
OUTLINE OF RUTH
I. Ruth’s Resolve, 1:1-22
A. Her Background, 1:1-5
B. Her Choice, 1:6-18
C. Her Arrival in Bethlehem, 1:19-22
II. Ruth’s Rights, 2:1-23
A. Her Right to Glean, 2:1-3
B. The Results of Her Gleaning, 2:4-17
1. Boaz meets Ruth, 2:4-7
2. Boaz protects Ruth, 2:8-13
3. Boaz provides for Ruth, 2:14-16
C. The Report of Her Gleaning, 2:17-23
III. Ruth’s Request, 3:1-18
A. Suggested by Naomi, 3:1-4
B. Executed by Ruth, 3:5-9
C. Agreed to by Boaz, 3:10-18
IV. Ruth’s Reward, 4:1-22
A. A Husband, 4:1-12
B. A Son, 4:13-17
C. A Lineage, 4:18-22
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED