DATE: 57-58 A.D.
The letter to the Church at Rome is the most doctrinally clear and complete of all Paul’s letters. In His letter, Paul first diagnoses who man is without Christ. He then tells how God delivers man by grace through faith and closes the book by giving directions on how man should live after his salvation. Both Paul and Peter traveled to Rome and both were martyred in Rome, but it is unlikely that either was the founder of the church there. The membership in the Church at Rome was predominantly Gentile (1:13; 11:13; 15:15-16).
Paul wrote his letter to prepare the people for the time when he would visit (15:14-17). The letter was written when Paul was in Corinth. From there he went to Jerusalem to deliver donations for the Jerusalem Church that he had collected. He intended to then journey to Rome and Spain (15:24), but his plans were interrupted when he was arrested. Paul did eventually get to Rome, but as a prisoner. It’s believed that Phoebe, who belonged to the church at Cenchrea near Corinth (16:1), carried Paul’s letter to Rome.
The theme of Romans is the righteousness of God (1:16-17). This letter is more formal than Paul’s other letters and in it he clearly teaches natural revelation (Rom 1:19-20), universality of sin (Rom 3:9-20), justification (Rom 3:24), propitiation (Rom 3:25), faith (Rom 4:1), original sin (Rom 5:12), union with Christ (Rom 6:1), the election and rejection of Israel (Rom 9-11), righteous living (Rom 12), spiritual gifts (Rom 12:3-8), and respect for government (Rom 13:1-7).
OUTLINE OF ROMANS
I. Salutation and Statement of Theme, 1:1-17
A. Greeting, 1:1-7
B. Paul’s Interest, 1:8-15
C. Theme, 1:16-17
II. Righteousness Needed; Condemnation, Sin, 1:18-3:20
A. The Condemnation of the Gentile, 1:18-32
1. The cause of the condemnation: willful ignorance, 1:18-23
2. The consequences of the condemnation: divine abandonment, 1:24-32
B. The Condemnation of the Moralist, 2:1-16
C. The Condemnation of the Jew, 2:17-3:8
1. He did not keep the law of God, 2:17-29
2. He did not believe the promises of God, 3:1-8
D. The Condemnation of All Men, 3:9-20
III. Righteousness Imputed; Justification, Salvation, 3:21-5:21
A. The Description of Righteousness, 3:21-31
B. The Illustration of Righteousness, 4:1-25
1. Abraham’s faith was apart from works, 4:1-8
2. Abraham’s faith was apart from circumcision, 4:9-12
3. Abraham’s faith was apart from the law, 4:13-15
4. Abraham’s faith was in God, 4:16-25
C. The Benefits of Righteousness, 5:1-11
D. The Applicability of Righteousness, 5:12-21
IV. Righteousness Imparted; Sanctification, Separation, 6:1-8:39
A. The Principles of Sanctification; The Question of License, 6:1-23
1. Shall we continue in sin? 6:1-14
2. Shall we continue to sin? 6:15-23
B. The Practice of Sanctification; The Question of Law, 7:1-25
1. Is the believer under law? 7:1-6
2. Is the law evil? 7:7-12
3. Is the law a cause of death? 7:13-14
4. How can I resolve the struggle within myself? 7:15-25
C. The Power of Sanctification; The Question of Living, 8:1-39
1. Emancipated living, 8:1-11
2. Exalted living, 8:12-17
3. Expectant living, 8:18-30
4. Exultant living, 8:31-39
V. Righteousness Vindicated; Dispensation, Sovereignty, 9:1-11:36
A. Israel’s Past; Election, 9:1-29
1. Paul’s sorrow, 9:1-5
2. God’s sovereignty, 9:6-29
B. Israel’s Present; Rejection, 9:30-10:21
C. Israel’s Future; Salvation, 11:1-36
1. The extent of Israel’s rejection (partial), 11:1-10
2. The purpose of Israel’s rejection, 11:11-24
3. The duration of Israel’s rejection (temporary), 11:25-32
4. Discourse on God’s wisdom, 11:33-36
VI. Righteousness Practiced; Application, Service, 12:1-15:13
A. In Relation to Ourselves, 12:1-2
B. In Relation to the Church, 12:3-8
C. In Relation to Society, 12:9-21
D. In Relation to Government, 13:1-14
E. In Relation to Other Believers, 14:1-15:13
1. Do not judge one another, 14:1-12
2. Do not hinder one another, 14:13-23
3. Do imitate Christ, 15:1-13
VII. Personal Messages and Benediction, 15:14-16:27
A. Paul’s Plans, 15:14-33
B. Paul’s Personal Greetings, 16:1-16
C. Paul’s Concluding Admonition and Benediction, 16:17-27
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com