DATE: 57-58 A.D.
The letter to the Church at Rome is the most doctrinally clear and complete of all Paul’s letters. In His letter, Paul first diagnoses who man is without Christ. He then tells how God delivers man by grace through faith and closes the book by giving directions on how man should live after his salvation. Both Paul and Peter traveled to Rome and both were martyred in Rome, but it is unlikely that either was the founder of the church there. The membership in the Church at Rome was predominantly Gentile (1:13; 11:13; 15:15-16).
Paul wrote his letter to prepare the people for the time when he would visit (15:14-17). The letter was written when Paul was in Corinth. From there he went to Jerusalem to deliver donations for the Jerusalem Church that he had collected. He intended to then journey to Rome and Spain (15:24), but his plans were interrupted when he was arrested. Paul did eventually get to Rome, but as a prisoner. It’s believed that Phoebe, who belonged to the church at Cenchrea near Corinth (16:1), carried Paul’s letter to Rome.
The theme of Romans is the righteousness of God (1:16-17). This letter is more formal than Paul’s other letters and in it he clearly teaches natural revelation (Rom 1:19-20), universality of sin (Rom 3:9-20), justification (Rom 3:24), propitiation (Rom 3:25), faith (Rom 4:1), original sin (Rom 5:12), union with Christ (Rom 6:1), the election and rejection of Israel (Rom 9-11), righteous living (Rom 12), spiritual gifts (Rom 12:3-8), and respect for government (Rom 13:1-7).
OUTLINE OF ROMANS
I. Salutation and Statement of Theme, 1:1-17
A. Greeting, 1:1-7
B. Paul’s Interest, 1:8-15
C. Theme, 1:16-17
II. Righteousness Needed; Condemnation, Sin, 1:18-3:20
A. The Condemnation of the Gentile, 1:18-32
1. The cause of the condemnation: willful ignorance, 1:18-23
2. The consequences of the condemnation: divine abandonment, 1:24-32
B. The Condemnation of the Moralist, 2:1-16
C. The Condemnation of the Jew, 2:17-3:8
1. He did not keep the law of God, 2:17-29
2. He did not believe the promises of God, 3:1-8
D. The Condemnation of All Men, 3:9-20
III. Righteousness Imputed; Justification, Salvation, 3:21-5:21
A. The Description of Righteousness, 3:21-31
B. The Illustration of Righteousness, 4:1-25
1. Abraham’s faith was apart from works, 4:1-8
2. Abraham’s faith was apart from circumcision, 4:9-12
3. Abraham’s faith was apart from the law, 4:13-15
4. Abraham’s faith was in God, 4:16-25
C. The Benefits of Righteousness, 5:1-11
D. The Applicability of Righteousness, 5:12-21
IV. Righteousness Imparted; Sanctification, Separation, 6:1-8:39
A. The Principles of Sanctification; The Question of License, 6:1-23
1. Shall we continue in sin? 6:1-14
2. Shall we continue to sin? 6:15-23
B. The Practice of Sanctification; The Question of Law, 7:1-25
1. Is the believer under law? 7:1-6
2. Is the law evil? 7:7-12
3. Is the law a cause of death? 7:13-14
4. How can I resolve the struggle within myself? 7:15-25
C. The Power of Sanctification; The Question of Living, 8:1-39
1. Emancipated living, 8:1-11
2. Exalted living, 8:12-17
3. Expectant living, 8:18-30
4. Exultant living, 8:31-39
V. Righteousness Vindicated; Dispensation, Sovereignty, 9:1-11:36
A. Israel’s Past; Election, 9:1-29
1. Paul’s sorrow, 9:1-5
2. God’s sovereignty, 9:6-29
B. Israel’s Present; Rejection, 9:30-10:21
C. Israel’s Future; Salvation, 11:1-36
1. The extent of Israel’s rejection (partial), 11:1-10
2. The purpose of Israel’s rejection, 11:11-24
3. The duration of Israel’s rejection (temporary), 11:25-32
4. Discourse on God’s wisdom, 11:33-36
VI. Righteousness Practiced; Application, Service, 12:1-15:13
A. In Relation to Ourselves, 12:1-2
B. In Relation to the Church, 12:3-8
C. In Relation to Society, 12:9-21
D. In Relation to Government, 13:1-14
E. In Relation to Other Believers, 14:1-15:13
1. Do not judge one another, 14:1-12
2. Do not hinder one another, 14:13-23
3. Do imitate Christ, 15:1-13
VII. Personal Messages and Benediction, 15:14-16:27
A. Paul’s Plans, 15:14-33
B. Paul’s Personal Greetings, 16:1-16
C. Paul’s Concluding Admonition and Benediction, 16:17-27
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas