This question has been asked by atheists and skeptics for decades (probably for centuries). It is used to cast doubt on our omnipotent Creator God, and also as a way to dismiss or discredit Him. Be ready always to give an answer to this — and do so kindly.
The question behind this question is whether there is something God is unable to do. The question suggests that either God can make a rock so big that He cannot move it, or if He can move any rock, then He cannot make a rock big enough. In both cases, it attributes “inability” to God being able to do something. How do we answer a question such as this?
Reconsidering the Question
Such questions as the “too big rock” present impossible conditions because they defy reality. They are illogical and the premise is inconsistent with reality. It’s like asking:
- What does the color blue smell like?
- Can God make a square circle or a one-ended stick?
- Can you draw a picture of two boys, each one shorter than the other?
Let’s restate the “too big rock” question with some truths added: “Is there any way that God— who can make all things — can make a rock so big that He — who can lift all things — cannot lift it?” Of course, the answer is NO! With the truth statements inserted, the question is easily refuted.
The “too big rock” question also reveals false ideas about God’s omnipotence. Omnipotence does not mean God has the power to do everything. God’s omnipotence is the power to do anything that is consistent with His character and His nature. For example:
- God is Truth, so He cannot lie.
- He is omniscient (all-knowing), so He cannot learn anything new.
- He is omnipresent (present everywhere), so He cannot be distant.
- And God is omnipotent (all-powerful), so He cannot be defeated by man or by any spirit being.
Does this mean the Lord is not all-powerful because there are things He cannot do? No! It simply means God is perfect and unchangeable. He can only act consistent with His character, His ability, and His power. He cannot do anything that contradicts His perfect nature or is logically impossible, such as creating an immovable rock, a square circle, or one-ended stick.
Consider this Scenario:
- God creates a rock, weighing X….and He can lift it.
- God creates a rock, weighing XX….and He can lift it.
- Then God creates a rock, weighing XXX….and He can lift it.
- And then God creates a rock, weighing XXXX….and He can lift it,
- …and so on, and so on.
You get the idea. However “big” God creates the rock…He can move it!
The Intent of the Question
The question “Can God make a rock so big He can’t move it?” is another attempt by skeptics and atheists to confuse Christians and create doubt about God’s abilities. But we are called to live by faith and that faith grows by the Word of God. In His Word, God tells us that we will never fully know His thoughts, comprehend His ways, or be able to explain all of His works. For God has said, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.” (Isaiah 55:8)
The things we see, feel, and touch are understood from a finite, human perspective. And yet, God has been gracious to us and He has revealed all that we need to know about Him — for our good and His glory.
Know God — Praise God
It is God’s desire that we continue to grow in our knowledge and understanding of Him (Phil. 1:9, 2 Pet 3:18). And we should always treat Him with the reverence and awe He deserves, remembering that His thoughts and ways are higher than ours and knowing, believing, and trusting that He is omnipotent, omniscient, logical, and coherent. Therefore, don’t allow skeptics to try to confuse you with misleading and deceptive questions.
Be willing always to share the truth that our God is the all-knowing and all-powerful God. There is nothing that limits His omnipotence or surpasses His perfect plan and purposes.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas