The psalmist writes so appropriately,
“Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God. For to Thee do I pray. In the morning, O LORD, Thou wilt hear my voice; in the morning, I will order my prayer to Thee and eagerly watch.” (Psalm 5:1-3)
David, with great concern on his heart, was desiring that the Lord would give ear to his prayers as he sought him in the morning . . . and I would think that each of us has the same desire . . . different situations for sure . . . but the same desire.
From the book of Jeremiah we read,
“In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim . . . this word came from the LORD, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD, ‘Stand in the court of the LORD’s house, and speak to all the cities of Judah, who have come to worship in the LORD’s house, all the words that I have commanded you to speak . . . Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way.'” (Jeremiah 26:1-3 – NASB)
God was attempting to get the attention of His people in “all the cities of Judah.” These people were gathering to “worship in the LORD’s house.” And even though it looked as if they were doing the right things they were, in reality, in need of turning “from (their) evil way.” God used the prophet Jeremiah to call His people to repentance, desiring not to carry out judgment on them.
But they did not listen to the prophet of God . . .
“And the priests and the prophets and all the people heard Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the LORD. And when Jeremiah finished speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak to all the people, the priests and the prophets and all the people seized him saying, ‘You must die!'” (Jeremiah 26:7-8 – NASB)
The “priests” and the false “prophets” and “the people” who followed their counsel “heard Jeremiah” and they were not pleased with his message. It did not suit them at all, for they were a “people” that were obviously unable to see that they were not obeying the Law of God (26:4-5). To their state God sent His prophet, speaking in love to “the priests and the prophets and all the people,” calling them to “turn” and be spared the calamity that was about to come upon them.
But “when Jeremiah” had “finished speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak” the multitudes did not discern the voice of the Lord, and they “seized” Jeremiah and they cried out, “You must die!”
Priests and prophets, often, can be on different pages. Bringing this forward, there are many who, in our day, propose to speak for God. They have a message that seeks to comfort the masses when, in truth, things really are not well at all.
I look at the condition of the church today and I sense a spirit of worldly entanglements that are drawing her further and further away from God and His Word. People like Joel Osteen, and many others like him, preach a message of, “Everything is good! Everything is so good for you!.” They smile even as the people they speak to are embracing the spirit of this age.
“Priests and prophets and the people” are all too often very pleased with where they are headed, but the book of Jeremiah is a stark reminder to us that they are not always headed in the way of God. It behooves us to take note brethren.
Have a good day . . . and I would encourage you to constantly be in the Word, enabling yourself to discern the right message from the wrong message.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge