Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
The psalmist writes so appropriately,
“Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God. For to Thee do I pray. In the morning, O LORD, Thou wilt hear my voice; in the morning, I will order my prayer to Thee and eagerly watch.” (Psalm 5:1-3)
David, with great concern on his heart, was desiring that the Lord would give ear to his prayers as he sought him in the morning . . . and I would think that each of us has the same desire . . . different situations for sure . . . but the same desire.
From the book of Jeremiah we read,
“In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim . . . this word came from the LORD, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD, ‘Stand in the court of the LORD’s house, and speak to all the cities of Judah, who have come to worship in the LORD’s house, all the words that I have commanded you to speak . . . Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way.'” (Jeremiah 26:1-3 – NASB)
God was attempting to get the attention of His people in “all the cities of Judah.” These people were gathering to “worship in the LORD’s house.” And even though it looked as if they were doing the right things they were, in reality, in need of turning “from (their) evil way.” God used the prophet Jeremiah to call His people to repentance, desiring not to carry out judgment on them.
But they did not listen to the prophet of God . . .
“And the priests and the prophets and all the people heard Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the LORD. And when Jeremiah finished speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak to all the people, the priests and the prophets and all the people seized him saying, ‘You must die!'” (Jeremiah 26:7-8 – NASB)
The “priests” and the false “prophets” and “the people” who followed their counsel “heard Jeremiah” and they were not pleased with his message. It did not suit them at all, for they were a “people” that were obviously unable to see that they were not obeying the Law of God (26:4-5). To their state God sent His prophet, speaking in love to “the priests and the prophets and all the people,” calling them to “turn” and be spared the calamity that was about to come upon them.
But “when Jeremiah” had “finished speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak” the multitudes did not discern the voice of the Lord, and they “seized” Jeremiah and they cried out, “You must die!”
Priests and prophets, often, can be on different pages. Bringing this forward, there are many who, in our day, propose to speak for God. They have a message that seeks to comfort the masses when, in truth, things really are not well at all.
I look at the condition of the church today and I sense a spirit of worldly entanglements that are drawing her further and further away from God and His Word. People like Joel Osteen, and many others like him, preach a message of, “Everything is good! Everything is so good for you!.” They smile even as the people they speak to are embracing the spirit of this age.
“Priests and prophets and the people” are all too often very pleased with where they are headed, but the book of Jeremiah is a stark reminder to us that they are not always headed in the way of God. It behooves us to take note brethren.
Have a good day . . . and I would encourage you to constantly be in the Word, enabling yourself to discern the right message from the wrong message.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED