DATE: 61 AD
Key Message: Joy in Christ
The church at Philippi was the first church established by Paul in Europe (Acts 16) and he established this church on his second missionary journey. Philippi was a small city, founded by King Philip of Macedonia, father of Alexander the Great.
Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter to the Philippian brethren (Phil 1:13-16). This church had financially helped Paul at least two times before this letter already (4:16-18) and when they heard of his imprisonment, the church sent Epaphroditus with another gift. Paul’s letter to the Philippians is to thank them for that gift, and it reveals his love and close relationship he had with this church, as well as teaching on the joy of the Lord that we can have in any situation in which we find ourselves.
A most important doctrinal passage is Phil. 2:5-11. It explains how Jesus, in His incarnation and being both fully God and fully man, set aside His divinity to live a human life. Making himself of no [divine] reputation, Jesus humbled Himself and was obedient unto death and was exalted above all. One of the most popular passages on prayer is found in Phil 4:6-7. Other favorite verses include 1:21, 23b; 3:10, 20; 4:8, 13. A significant autobiographical sketch appears in 3:4-14.
One of the most popular passages on prayer is found in Phil 4:6-7 and one of the most powerful passages on abundant life is found in Phil 4:8-9. Without a doubt, Paul expresses what should be every Christians greatest desire in these verses:
Phil 3:8,10 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord…that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
Other favorite verses include Phil 1:21, Phil 23b; Phil 20; Phil 4:13.
In Galatians, Paul sounds fighting mad and tells them in no uncertain terms they are off track. In Romans, Paul sounds like a theology professor. In Thessalonians, Paul sounds like a youth leader giving encouragement and empowering them. In Philippians, Paul does not give a theology lesson or a problem-solving manual. Philippians is a thank-you letter filled with an endless stream of joyful remembrances and encouragements. All of Philippians is about learning how our relationship with Christ impacts our inner response to difficult external events.
OUTLINE OF PHILIPPIANS
I. Greetings and Expressions of Gratitude, 1:1-11
II. Paul’s Personal Circumstances: The Preaching of Christ, 1:12-30
III. The Pattern of the Christian Life: The Humility of Christ, 2:1-30
A. The Exhortation to Humility, 2:1-4
B. The Epitome of Humility, 2:5-11
C. The Exercise of Humility, 2:12-18
D. The Examples of Timothy and Epaphroditus, 2:19-30
IV. The Prize of the Christian Life: The Knowledge of Christ, 3:1-21
A. The Warning Against Judaizers, 3:1-4a
B. The Example of Paul, 3:4b-14
C. The Exhortation to Others, 3:15-21
V. The Peace of the Christian Life: The Presence of Christ, 4:1-23
A. Peace with Others, 4:1-3
B. Peace with Self, 4:4-9
C. Peace with Circumstances, 4:10-23
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED