During COVID-19, my Bible study has gathered virtually. We haven’t missed a week. We’ve done some studies on psalms and are now studying the book of Philippians. Join us by reviewing the notes and watching the encouraging videos. Our goal is to learn and hold on to the truths that our eyes, ears, brains, and thoughts all work to direct our lives. And we can find joy in Jesus and direction for our lives from Paul’s teachings in Philippians. Our study will be about:
Confidence — Knowing Jesus will complete the work he has started in us. (chapter 1)
Joy — In all things finding joy and hope. (chapter 2)
Focus — Keeping our eyes on Jesus. (chapter 3)
Think — Renew your mind in the things of God. (chapter 4)
In Philippians 1:1-11, Paul begins his letter to the saints in the church at Philippi. Paul planted this church on his second missionary journey around 49 AD (Acts 16:6-34) and he greatly loved these people. His compassion and affection for these people is clearly seen in his letter. Paul wrote to encourage the Philippian church and he wrote while imprisoned under house arrest in Rome. Chained to a jailer, Paul wrote about joy in any circumstances and told us that it begins with being confident based on what God has done for us, in us, and will continue to do in and through us (Phil 1:6). We should remember that the amount of joy we experience will be directly related to the amount of gratitude we feel toward our gracious and loving God.
Watch this short video and decide what your answer is to the question, “is your glass half-empty or half-full?”
Watch this short video that illustrates Paul’s teachings about finding joy in the midst of suffering. This video was filmed in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti and teaches us about joy in suffering. Watch for the interview with a man who was a teacher in a seminary. When he felt the rumblings, he left his second floor classroom where his students were taking a test. He went down to the first floor, then outside, to see what was happening. As he looked around, the building he had just exited came crashing down. Everyone inside was killed—including his wife. Be inspired by a Haitian man who found joy in the midst of tragedy and sorrow.
Watch this short video. Pastor Matt Chandler was diagnosed with brain cancer in November 2009. Prior to his surgery, he addressed his congregation via video and proclaimed his faith and hope in the midst of his fiery trial.
1 Pet 4:12 -13 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
In every trial, tribulation, every challenge, every conflict, in the good times and the bad…Jesus is enough. Enough joy for the day and enough peace for our souls.
Before moving on to chapter 2 of Philippians, we looked at what possible time of year the Rapture might occur (we’re not setting a day or hour, just considering at what time of year as might be revealed by the prophetic pattern of the three harvests of Israel). Here’s the study: Will the Rapture of the Church Occur at Shavuot (Pentecost).pdf (Click to Download)
Philippians 2 teaches us to be humble and likeminded. Living a Christian life is a day by day commitment and exercise. And, it’s about vision — seeing and focusing the “eyes” of our understanding on Jesus. Read more here, then scrool down and watch a fun 1 minute video. After watching, close your eyes and you will really “SEE” Jesus!
LOVE LIKE JESUS
Before moving on to chapter 3 of Philippians, we looked at ways we can LOVE LIKE JESUS. With the racial unrest and civil disobedience taking place in June 2020, we addressed how we as the church can serve Jesus and reflect His love by loving our neighbors. Here’s the study that’s appropriate for any time and any circumstances: How Can We Love Like Jesus PDF
Philippians 3 offers precious verses that instill confidence, assurance, and hope. Take time in this chapter to enjoy the blessings of security and rest we have in Jesus.
Philippians 3:7, 10 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death
Philippians 3:13-14 …this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:20-21 For our conversation [citizenship] is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED