My friend Rod RosenbMy friend Rod Rosenbladt told me a story about a middle-aged woman who needed help from her pastor.
She went to her pastor and said, “Pastor, I had an abortion a number of years ago?”
“OK,” the Pastor replied.
“Well, I need to talk to you about the man I’ve since married.”
“Alright,” replied the Pastor.
“Well, we met a while back, and started dating and I thought, I need to tell him about the abortion. But I just couldn’t. Then things got more serious between us and I thought, I need to tell him about the abortion. But I just couldn’t. A while later we got engaged and I thought, I need to tell him about the abortion. But I just couldn’t. Then we got married and I thought, I really need to tell him about the abortion. But I just couldn’t. So I needed to talk to someone, Pastor, and you’re it.”
The Pastor replied, “You know, we have a service for this. Let’s go through that together.” So they did a Service of Confession and Absolution.
When they were finished, she said to him, “Thank-you, Pastor. Now I think I have the courage to tell my new husband about my abortion.”
And the Pastor replied to her, “What abortion?”
The forgiveness God grants is full, free, and forever. Karl Menninger, the famed psychiatrist, once said that he could dismiss half of his patients immediately if he could simply assure them of forgiveness.
For some reason, we have come to believe that it is a mark of spiritual and emotional maturity to hang onto our guilt and shame. We’ve sadly concluded that the worse we feel, the better we are. The declaration of Psalm 103:12 has been the most difficult for me to grasp and embrace; “As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.” And Hebrews 8:12 has been equally unbelievable; “For I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sins no more.”
In other words, the sins I don’t forget, God doesn’t remember.
If you struggle with guilt and shame (like I do), then all of this seems too good to be true.
For me, the reason it seems too good to be true is that I continue to experience the very real and far-reaching consequences of my sin. And I have often made the fatal mistake of confusing those consequences with God’s condemnation.
What I’ve discovered is that when I am in the throes of consequences from the foolish and destructive things I have done, my only hope is to throw myself on the forgiving mercy of Jesus, remembering that…
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1).
In fact, the kind of suffering that comes from the consequences of sin is like a brushfire that burns away every thread of hope we have in ourselves and leaves only the thread of divine grace and forgiveness.
What seems too good to be true is actually the most comforting, hope-giving, renewing truth in the world. Regardless of what you have done or failed to do, what you are guilty of or how miserably you have failed, you are right now under the completely sufficient imputed righteousness of Jesus. You are, in other words, clothed in an irremovable robe of forgiveness. Your pardon is full and final. There are no strings attached. No ifs, ands, or buts. No conditions.
The good news is that—before God—you are forgiven. You are clean. It is finished. Your “sin is cast into the sea of God’s forgotten memory.”
As the old hymn puts it: “Well may the accuser roar, of sins that I have done; I know them all and thousands more, my God he knoweth none.”
Video clips from Pastor Tullian Tchividjian, The Sanctuary Jupiter, FL
Because It Is Finished…
Psalm 19, Ps 51, Psalm 139, Psalm 139, Psalm 139, Psalm 62
Teachings from The Book of Job
***Check out all of our video clips from Pastor Tullian***
>>>26 Lessons from The Book of Job - Short Video Clips<<<
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED