A Lesson for April Fool’s Day
From Paul’s final letter, written to his beloved Timothy, we read,
“Make every effort to come to me soon; for Demas, having loved this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica;” (2 Timothy 4:9-10)
There is in this short text a certain sadness conveyed from the apostle Paul. Paul is in Rome, in prison, under the watchful eye of the Roman guard. He greatly desires that Timothy “come . . . soon,” and it is evident that Paul is aware his time on earth is short (2 Timothy 4:6-8). In this state, he experiences the presence of Luke, a devoted fellow believer, a co-laborer who is now the only one with him (II Timothy 4:11). Luke is the only one with him because another co-worker named “Demas . . . has deserted” him.
Do you know about “Demas?” He had been a cherished co-laborer with Paul, a co-worker in the spreading of the gospel message of Jesus the Christ (Philemon 24; Colossians 4:14). He seemed to be the real deal.
But, the Scripture tells us that at some point during this time in Rome “Demas” made it known that he “loved this present world,” and so he left Paul’s presence and headed to “Thessalonica.”
This word “deserted” speaks of “letting someone down.” It is a strong word suggesting “forsaking one who is in a set of circumstances that are against him.” Paul was awaiting execution.
At this point in the ministry, a most trying time, we find out that “Demas . . . loved this present world.” Kenneth Wuest, former Greek instructor at Moody Bible Institute, writes concerning this text that he “had set a high value on this present age.” The word for “world” here is aion, better translated “age.” It speaks of, in an ethical sense, the “aims and hopes and aspirations” that define the “current time.” It speaks of “the spirit of” those “who are living alienated and apart from God.” As someone has written, “the spirit of the age had gotten hold of him.”
This is a difficult passage, one that should cause us pause. As much as it is a sad report it also is an alarming one! For we come to the understanding that this world we live in can serve as a powerful tool of seduction that can actually draw a person away from the work of Christ. And this “love” of the “present age” can be even more inviting when conditions are not so favorable.
Do you know about Demas? After reading about this man these words from John’s first letter come swiftly to my mind,
“Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.” (I John 2:15-16 – NASB)
And as he commands those he is addressing to “stop loving the world,” take special note of John’s refrain,
“And the world is passing away, and also its lusts” (I John 2:17- NASB)
What a fool Demas was. He turned his back on God, choosing rather to embrace the trappings of “the age” rather than to reap the eternal blessings of Christ. It can happen! Was he really ever saved? Was the “love” for “the age” always in his heart? This “Demas” certainly causes one to ask such questions. And this “Demas” also serves as one who causes us to examine ourselves.
Have a good day brethren . . . and let it be said of you and I that, by God’s grace, we not be found to be as Demas.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED