DATE: 1050-1000 B.C.
The events of this book cover the turbulent period in Israel’s history from the conquest of Palestine to the beginnings of the monarchy (circa 1380 to 1050 B.C.).
Under Joshua, the land had been conquered and occupied, but many important Canaanite strongholds still remained, leaving Israel vulnerable. The book of Judges describes an ongoing warfare, as the Hebrews tried to complete their occupation of the land.
God set up a system of judges to rule over His people. The judges were military and civil leaders who ruled over regions and therefore some judges ruled concurrently.
The author of Judges is unknown, but the Talmud suggests it was Samuel. The book was written after the death of Samson and after Saul became King of Israel, but before the conquest of Jerusalem by David about 990 B.C. (see 1:21; 17:6; 18:1; 19:1; 21:25).
Historically, the book of Judges serves to link the conquest of Palestine and the monarchy. Theologically, the book provides many examples of the principle that obedience to the law brings peace, whereas disobedience means oppression and death. Spiritually, the faithfulness of God in forgiving the sins of His people is seen clearly in this time when “every man did what was right in his own eyes” (17:6; 21:25).
OUTLINE OF JUDGES
I. Background of the Period of the Judges, 1:1-3:6
A. The Political Background, 1:1-36
B. The Spiritual Background, 2:1-3:6
II. History of the Period of the Judges, 3:7-16:31
A. Mesopotamian Oppression and Othniel’s Deliverance, 3:7-11
B. Moabite Oppression and Ehud’s Deliverance, 3:12-30
C. Shamgar’s Victory over the Philistines, 3:31
D. Canaanite Oppression and Deliverance by Deborah and Barak, 4:1-5:31
1. The story, 4:1-24
2. The song, Judg 5:1-31
E. Midianite Oppression and Gideon’s Deliverance, 6:1-8:35
1. Gideon’s call, 6:1-40
2. Gideon’s conquests, 7:1-8:35
F. Abimelech’s Tyranny, 9:1-57
G. Tola’s Judgeship, 10:1-2
H. Jair’s Judgeship, 10:3-5
I. Ammonite Oppression and Jephthah’s Deliverance, 10:6-12:7
J. Ibzan’s Judgeship, 12:8-10
K. Elon’s Judgeship, 12:11-12
L. Abdon’s Judgeship, 12:13-15
M. Philistine Oppression and Samson’s Career, 13:1-16:31
1. Annunciation and birth of Samson, 13:1-25
2. Marriage of Samson, 14:1-20
3. Exploits of Samson, 15:1-20
4. Fall of Samson, 16:1-31
III. Apostasy of the Period of the Judges, 17:1-21:25
A. Micah and the Migration of the Danites, Judg 17:1-18:31
1. Micah and his private priest, Judg 17:1-13
2. Danite migration, 18:1-31
B. The Benjamite War, 19:1-21:25
1. The reason for the war, 19:1-20:13
2. The execution of the war, 20:14-48
3. The results of the war, 21:1-25
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas