DATE: 70-80 AD
Authorship Jude identifies himself as the brother of James (Jude 1). He was also a leader of the Jerusalem church (Acts 15), and a half brother of the Lord Jesus (Mat 13:55, Mark 6:3).
Jude had intended to write about salvation, but was compelled to warn about false teachers and encourage believers to stand firm in the apostolic faith (Jude 3). A form of Gnosticism, known as antinomianism (anti-law), was being taught in many churches. The Gnostics viewed everything material as evil and everything spiritual as good. Anttinomianism taught that Christians are released by grace from the obligation of observing the moral law and can therefore do whatever they want, in the flesh. This bred all kinds of lawlessness, which is ungodly and sinful behavior.
Jude warns of the immoral, covetous, proud, and divisive teachings of false teachers and exhorts his readers to “contend earnestly for the faith” (Jude 3).
While Jude makes reference to extra-biblical writings, The Assumption of Moses (Jude 9) and 1 Enoch (Jude 14), it does not mean that he considered those books to be inspired. Paul quoted from heathen poets (Acts 17:28; 1 Cor. 15:33; Titus 1:12) but never implied any inspiration.
The placement in our Bibles of the book of Jude is significant. As the book preceeding the book of Revelation, it is a reminder of the apostasy that results from false teaching that will be present in the last days and the duty of Christians to defend the faith.
OUTLINE OF JUDE
I. The Salutation and Purpose, 1-4
II. Exposure of the False Teachers, 5-16
A. Their Doom, 5-7
B. Their Denunciation, 8-10
C. Their Description, 11-16
III. Exhortations to Believers, 17-23
IV. The Benediction, 24-25
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge