DATE: 70-80 AD
Authorship Jude identifies himself as the brother of James (Jude 1). He was also a leader of the Jerusalem church (Acts 15), and a half brother of the Lord Jesus (Mat 13:55, Mark 6:3).
Jude had intended to write about salvation, but was compelled to warn about false teachers and encourage believers to stand firm in the apostolic faith (Jude 3). A form of Gnosticism, known as antinomianism (anti-law), was being taught in many churches. The Gnostics viewed everything material as evil and everything spiritual as good. Anttinomianism taught that Christians are released by grace from the obligation of observing the moral law and can therefore do whatever they want, in the flesh. This bred all kinds of lawlessness, which is ungodly and sinful behavior.
Jude warns of the immoral, covetous, proud, and divisive teachings of false teachers and exhorts his readers to “contend earnestly for the faith” (Jude 3).
While Jude makes reference to extra-biblical writings, The Assumption of Moses (Jude 9) and 1 Enoch (Jude 14), it does not mean that he considered those books to be inspired. Paul quoted from heathen poets (Acts 17:28; 1 Cor. 15:33; Titus 1:12) but never implied any inspiration.
The placement in our Bibles of the book of Jude is significant. As the book preceeding the book of Revelation, it is a reminder of the apostasy that results from false teaching that will be present in the last days and the duty of Christians to defend the faith.
OUTLINE OF JUDE
I. The Salutation and Purpose, 1-4
II. Exposure of the False Teachers, 5-16
A. Their Doom, 5-7
B. Their Denunciation, 8-10
C. Their Description, 11-16
III. Exhortations to Believers, 17-23
IV. The Benediction, 24-25
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.