God sent fire from Heaven every time a sacrifice was consumed. However, in the Old Testament, there are at least seven very significant recorded occurrences of fire from Heaven:
- Fire from Heaven destroyed Job’s flocks (Job 1:16).
- Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire from Heaven (Gen 19:24, Luke 17:29).
- Fire from Heaven devoured Nadab and Abihu (Lev 10:1-2)
- Elijah called down fire from Heaven upon King Ahaziah’s soldiers (2 Kings 1:10,12).
- Fire from Heaven consumed David’s sacrifice (1 Chron 21:26).
- The sacrifice at the dedication of the Temple was consumed by fire from Heaven (2 Chron 7:1).
- Elijah’s sacrifice on Mt. Carmel was consumed by fire from Heaven (1 Kings 18:38)
Fire from Heaven in the New Testament
There is no record of fire being sent from Heaven by God in the gospels and the writings of Paul and the other apostles. However, James and John asked Jesus to call down fire from Heaven to consume a Samaritan village that had not received Him (Luke 9:52-54). But it was not Jesus’ will to judge the people of the city with fire. He told His disciples, “…the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them…” (Luke 9:56)
In Acts, we read of the Holy Spirit coming down from Heaven and appearing as cloven tongues of fire, but this fire did not consume. “…it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit…” (Acts 2:3-4). The Holy Spirit is not fire. He only appeared “as” fire.
Fire from Heaven — yet to come!
During the seventieth week of Daniel (The Tribulation), the false prophet will “make fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men” (Rev 13:13), but this is not sent from Heaven by God. This is the power of Satan copying God’s fire from Heaven.
Fire from Heaven will come down again one last time. Following the millennial reign of Christ, when Satan is loosed, the nations are deceived, and Satan gathers followers to battle against God, then God will send fire to devour Satan and his troops.
Rev 20:9 And they [Satan and his troops] went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city [Jerusalem]: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
Love Came Down from Heaven
Yes, God did send fire from Heaven in judgment. But God also sent Love from Heaven when He sent Jesus. The Gospel of John tells us:
- He that cometh from heaven is above all. (John 3:31)
- For the bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. (John 6:33)
- For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. (John 6:38)
- I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever… (John 6:51)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com