God sent fire from Heaven every time a sacrifice was consumed. However, in the Old Testament, there are at least seven very significant recorded occurrences of fire from Heaven:
- Fire from Heaven destroyed Job’s flocks (Job 1:16).
- Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire from Heaven (Gen 19:24, Luke 17:29).
- Fire from Heaven devoured Nadab and Abihu (Lev 10:1-2)
- Elijah called down fire from Heaven upon King Ahaziah’s soldiers (2 Kings 1:10,12).
- Fire from Heaven consumed David’s sacrifice (1 Chron 21:26).
- The sacrifice at the dedication of the Temple was consumed by fire from Heaven (2 Chron 7:1).
- Elijah’s sacrifice on Mt. Carmel was consumed by fire from Heaven (1 Kings 18:38)
Fire from Heaven in the New Testament
There is no record of fire being sent from Heaven by God in the gospels and the writings of Paul and the other apostles. However, James and John asked Jesus to call down fire from Heaven to consume a Samaritan village that had not received Him (Luke 9:52-54). But it was not Jesus’ will to judge the people of the city with fire. He told His disciples, “…the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them…” (Luke 9:56)
In Acts, we read of the Holy Spirit coming down from Heaven and appearing as cloven tongues of fire, but this fire did not consume. “…it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit…” (Acts 2:3-4). The Holy Spirit is not fire. He only appeared “as” fire.
Fire from Heaven — yet to come!
During the seventieth week of Daniel (The Tribulation), the false prophet will “make fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men” (Rev 13:13), but this is not sent from Heaven by God. This is the power of Satan copying God’s fire from Heaven.
Fire from Heaven will come down again one last time. Following the millennial reign of Christ, when Satan is loosed, the nations are deceived, and Satan gathers followers to battle against God, then God will send fire to devour Satan and his troops.
Rev 20:9 And they [Satan and his troops] went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city [Jerusalem]: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
Love Came Down from Heaven
Yes, God did send fire from Heaven in judgment. But God also sent Love from Heaven when He sent Jesus. The Gospel of John tells us:
- He that cometh from heaven is above all. (John 3:31)
- For the bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. (John 6:33)
- For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. (John 6:38)
- I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever… (John 6:51)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED