As Christian parents and grandparents, it’s important that we teach our children about God, beginning at a very young age.
We can prepare them to know who God is by reading stories from the Bible that teach both about His Person and His works. From creation to redemption, and ultimately to the restoration of all things, we can help our children to come to faith in Jesus and to know Him through His Word. But children also need to learn how to live with Jesus and for Jesus. And so, we must teach them to pray.
Learning to Pray
In some ways, prayer comes naturally. But encouraging children and helping them to learn to pray is most beneficial.
Most often, we start with simple childhood mealtime and bedtime prayers. But as children grow and mature, we want to teach them to engage their thoughts and emotions in expressing their hearts to God through prayer.
One of the best ways to promote such conversation in prayer is by teaching intercessory prayer to children. Having children not only name their family and friends, for whom they want to pray, but also have children be specific about what they want to pray for them.
Using a Prayer Cube
A great way to teach children to talk to God in prayer is to make it fun. A prayer cube can be used in many ways to promote children’s active involvement in how they pray and the people and things for which they desire to pray.
Ideas for Using a Prayer Cube
1) Have your child write the names of those for whom he or she will pray on each side of the cube. Write what they will pray for each person. Or ask what they love most about each person, so they can thank God for specific things about their family and friends.
2) Write a couple of the fruit of the Spirit on each side of the cube. Then focus on the fruit listed on each day and have your child pray to increase the fruit in his or her life.
3) Have your child write Bible verses on each side of the cube. Then talk about the daily verse, helping your child to understand what it teaches and encourage them to memorize the verse.
4) Have your child illustrate the cube, drawing pictures of family, friends, the fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace, etc), or Bible lesson from verses.
5) Have your child write things they want to thank God for on each side of the cube. Or have them write attributes of God and teach them to praise Him.
5) Be creative. Add whatever your child wants to pray for on each side of the cube. Then cut on the solid lines, fold on the dotted lines, and assemble the cube.
However you use the prayer cube, let it be a time of fun that will grow your children’s faith. Children need to be taught, at a very young age, the truths of the Bible and the joys of living in both union and communion with Jesus. In our chaotic and ever-increasingly dark world, we must endeavor to shine the “light of the knowledge of the glory of God” (2 Cor 4:6) so our children (and grandchildren) can stand strong in their faith.
Print Out the Prayer Cube
Use our prayer cube for Monday-Saturday prayers. And on Sundays, encourage your child to reflect on all the prayers or perhaps focus on praising God.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED