As Christian parents and grandparents, it’s important that we teach our children about God, beginning at a very young age.
We can prepare them to know who God is by reading stories from the Bible that teach both about His Person and His works. From creation to redemption, and ultimately to the restoration of all things, we can help our children to come to faith in Jesus and to know Him through His Word. But children also need to learn how to live with Jesus and for Jesus. And so, we must teach them to pray.
Learning to Pray
In some ways, prayer comes naturally. But encouraging children and helping them to learn to pray is most beneficial.
Most often, we start with simple childhood mealtime and bedtime prayers. But as children grow and mature, we want to teach them to engage their thoughts and emotions in expressing their hearts to God through prayer.
One of the best ways to promote such conversation in prayer is by teaching intercessory prayer to children. Having children not only name their family and friends, for whom they want to pray, but also have children be specific about what they want to pray for them.
Using a Prayer Cube
A great way to teach children to talk to God in prayer is to make it fun. A prayer cube can be used in many ways to promote children’s active involvement in how they pray and the people and things for which they desire to pray.
Ideas for Using a Prayer Cube
1) Have your child write the names of those for whom he or she will pray on each side of the cube. Write what they will pray for each person. Or ask what they love most about each person, so they can thank God for specific things about their family and friends.
2) Write a couple of the fruit of the Spirit on each side of the cube. Then focus on the fruit listed on each day and have your child pray to increase the fruit in his or her life.
3) Have your child write Bible verses on each side of the cube. Then talk about the daily verse, helping your child to understand what it teaches and encourage them to memorize the verse.
4) Have your child illustrate the cube, drawing pictures of family, friends, the fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace, etc), or Bible lesson from verses.
5) Have your child write things they want to thank God for on each side of the cube. Or have them write attributes of God and teach them to praise Him.
5) Be creative. Add whatever your child wants to pray for on each side of the cube. Then cut on the solid lines, fold on the dotted lines, and assemble the cube.
However you use the prayer cube, let it be a time of fun that will grow your children’s faith. Children need to be taught, at a very young age, the truths of the Bible and the joys of living in both union and communion with Jesus. In our chaotic and ever-increasingly dark world, we must endeavor to shine the “light of the knowledge of the glory of God” (2 Cor 4:6) so our children (and grandchildren) can stand strong in their faith.
Print Out the Prayer Cube
Use our prayer cube for Monday-Saturday prayers. And on Sundays, encourage your child to reflect on all the prayers or perhaps focus on praising God.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas