From the Psalms we read,
“For Thou art not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness; no evil dwells with Thee. The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity” (Psalms 5:4-6 – NASB)
Our warm and fuzzies are disturbed many a time as we read and learn the Scriptures and grow in the knowledge of our God. So many have this idea that God is all love and so that means He is somehow incapable of anger or “hate.” Nothing could be so far from the truth. Our text makes it clear that “God” is “not” One “who takes pleasure in wickedness.” The psalmist writes, “God . . . dost hate all who do iniquity.”
Is “hate” ever justifiable? It is when God “hates.”
“The LORD test the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates.” (Psalm 11:5 – NASB)
There are those in this world who seek after nothing but “violence.” The Scripture tells us that “His soul hates” such “wicked” people.
I’ve heard the saying, and I’m sure you have also, that, “God hates the sin but loves the sinner.” This is not a verse, nor is it a text that is located in any Bible chapter or stated as such in the Scriptures. It is worthy to note that,
“God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day” (Psalm 7:11 – NKJV)
The sin of man is a putrid odor rising up to a Holy God, and it stirs His anger “every day.” It is no secret to anyone who knows the Bible that God “hates” sin! And being “a just judge,” He will deal with man’s “iniquity,” He will deal with that which He hates.
“There are six things which the LORD hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet tat run rapidly to evil, a false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strive among brothers.” (Proverbs 6:16-19 – NASB)
Take note from this text that these “things which” God “hates . . . are an abomination to Him.” An “abomination” by its very definition is something that is morally disgusting, and God “hates” that which is morally disgusting! Things that are used in association with this word “abomination” are,
idolatry (Deuteronomy 7:25),
homosexuality (Leviticus 18:22),
human sacrifice (Deuteronomy 12:31),
engaging in occult activities (Deuteronomy 18:9-14),
dishonest business practices (Deuteronomy 25:13-16) . . .
. . . and there is much, much more.
God “hates” these things and they are practices that He will not allow to go unpunished. He dealt with Israel when they were involved in them and He will deal with any nation or people that choose to practice them.
A notable passage from Romans that strikes a cord in many who read the Bible is,
“Just as it is written, ‘Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.'” (Romans 9:13 – NASB)
And this “hated” is a most perfect hatred, a divine hatred that is right, and pure, and holy . . . and yes . . . is by all means justifiable.
All of mankind has chosen to turn to their own ways (Isaiah 53:6), ways that the Creator never intended for them to go. If divine hate is there it is because man, along with Satan and his demons, has stoked those fires. In the scope of it all, things as they are, our “iniquity” has led to the manifestation of divine “hatred.”
What is so very, very amazing, is that in the midst of knowing that God hates and how we as a people do the “things” that He hates, He loved us and sent His Son to save us. I see His hate against the backdrop of His mercy and grace and I am in awe! Amazing, amazing grace . . . that has saved a wretch like me.
Have a good day. . . and take thought of this: The Bible really teaches us to hate the sin and have compassion for the sinner, a compassion that calls to repentance before God judges.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas