DATE: 520 B.C.
Haggai (whose name means “my feast”) was the first prophetic after the Babylonian Exile. He was a contemporary of Zechariah (and of Confucius) and is believed to have returned from Babylon with him. God called him to prophesy to the people to finish the Temple, which had been started 15 years earlier when they returned from Babylon but construction ceased when opposition arose.
Haggai’s prophecies were given between August and December 520 B.C. and the Temple was completed four years later. The book is addressed to all the people (1:13; 2:2), but the message is also particularly addressed to Zerubbabel, the governor, and to Joshua, the high priest (Hag 1:1; 2:2, 21).
The book contains four appeals, each introduced by “the word of the LORD came” (Hag 1:3, 2:1, 10, 20), a clear reprimand of “consider your ways” (Hag 1:5, 7, 2:15, 18), and a strong command…rebuild (Hag 1:8)
OUTLINE OF HAGGAI
I. A Call to Construction of the Temple, 1:1-15
A. Introduction, 1:1-2
B. The Reprimand, 1:3-6
C. The Remedy, 1:7-8
D. The Rebuke from God, 1:9-11
E. The Reaction of the People, 1:12-15
II. A Call to Courage in the Lord, 2:1-9
III. A Call to Cleanness of Life, 2:10-19
IV. A Call to Confidence in the Future, 2:20-23
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge