DATE: 520 B.C.
Haggai (whose name means “my feast”) was the first prophetic voice after the Babylonian Exile. He was a contemporary of Zechariah and is believed to have returned from Babylon with him (this was also at the time of Confucius). God called Haggai to prophesy to the people to finish the Temple, which had been started 15 years earlier when they returned from Babylon but construction had ceased when opposition arose.
Haggai’s prophecies were given between August and December 520 B.C. and the Temple was completed four years later. The book is addressed to all the people (Hag 1:13; 2:2), but the message is also particularly addressed to Zerubbabel, the governor, and to Joshua, the high priest (Hag 1:1; 2:2, 21).
The book contains four appeals, each introduced by “the word of the LORD came” (Hag 1:3, 2:1, 10, 20), a clear reprimand of “consider your ways” (Hag 1:5, 7, 2:15, 18), and a strong command…rebuild (Hag 1:8)
OUTLINE OF HAGGAI
I. A Call to Construction of the Temple, 1:1-15
A. Introduction, 1:1-2
B. The Reprimand, 1:3-6
C. The Remedy, 1:7-8
D. The Rebuke from God, 1:9-11
E. The Reaction of the People, 1:12-15
II. A Call to Courage in the Lord, 2:1-9
III. A Call to Cleanness of Life, 2:10-19
IV. A Call to Confidence in the Future, 2:20-23
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store