DATE: 606-604 B.C.
HABAKKUK / AUTHOR: Habakkuk / DATE: 606-604 B.C.
Nothing is known about the prophet himself, except that his name means “embracer.” however, Habakkuk is a very special prophet. Instead of God speaking to His people through him, as God did with other prophets, Habakkuk spoke to God and asked Him questions.
Habakkuk asked God why He would allow the increasing evil and sin in Judah to go unpunished (Hab 1:2-4) and how could He, a holy God, use the Babylonians, who were more wicked than the Jews, to punish the Jews (1:12-2:1)?
God’s answer to the first question is recorded in Habakkuk 1:5-11 and Habakkuk 2:2-10 is the answer to the second. Many interpret the book of Habakkuk as a theodicy, a defense of God’s goodness and power given the existence of evil.
Habakkuk’s prophecy is dated to around 605 BC, the time of King Jehoiakim and before Nebuchadnezzar first invaded Judah and took Daniel and others as captives to Babylon. The prophecy of coming judgment at the hands of the Babylonians should have brought repentance and revival, but it did not and evil prevailed in Judah. Jehoiakim was a bad king and the prophet Jeremiah wrote of him, “your eyes and your heart are intent only upon your own dishonest gain, and on shedding innocent blood and on practicing oppression and extortion” (Jer. 22:17; cf. Hab. 1:2-4 and 2 Kings 23:34-24:5).
The best-known verse in this book is Habakkuk 2:4, Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. It reveals the heart of God’s answer to Habakkuk’s questions and we see a beautiful picture of living by faith in the prophet himself. He went from questioning God in chapter one to totally trusting God in chapter three. The circumstances remained the same. Nothing had changed except the heart of the prophet who found rest in trusting God. This significant verse is also quoted in Rom 1:17; Gal 3:11; Heb 10:38), and it is central to the doctrine of sanctification and growing in faith.
Another favorite verse is Habakkuk 2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him, and chapter 3 is a great psalm of praise:
Hab 3:17-19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places
OUTLINE OF HABAKKUK
I. Introduction, 1:1
II. Habakkuk’s Problems, 1:2-2:20
A. Problem #1: Why Does God Allow Wicked Practices to Continue in Judah? 1:2-4
B. Answer #1, 1:5-11
C. Problem #2: Why Will God Use Wicked People to Punish Judah? 1:12-2:1
D. Answer #2, 2:2-20
III. Habakkuk’s Praise, 3:1-19
A. Praise for the Person of God, 3:1-3
B. Praise for the Power of God, 3:4-7
C. Praise for the Purpose of God, 3:8-16
D. Praise Because of Faith in God, 3:17-19
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?