DATE: 606-604 B.C.
HABAKKUK / AUTHOR: Habakkuk / DATE: 606-604 B.C.
Nothing is known about the prophet himself, except that his name means “embracer.” however, Habakkuk is a very special prophet. Instead of God speaking to His people through him, as God did with other prophets, Habakkuk spoke to God and asked Him questions.
Habakkuk asked God why He would allow the increasing evil and sin in Judah to go unpunished (Hab 1:2-4) and how could He, a holy God, use the Babylonians, who were more wicked than the Jews, to punish the Jews (1:12-2:1)?
God’s answer to the first question is recorded in Habakkuk 1:5-11 and Habakkuk 2:2-10 is the answer to the second. Many interpret the book of Habakkuk as a theodicy, a defense of God’s goodness and power given the existence of evil.
Habakkuk’s prophecy is dated to around 605 BC.
This was in the time of King Jehoiakim and before Nebuchadnezzar first invaded Judah and took Daniel and others as captives to Babylon. The prophecy of coming judgment at the hands of the Babylonians should have brought repentance and revival, but it did not and evil prevailed in Judah. Jehoiakim was a bad king and the prophet Jeremiah wrote of him, “your eyes and your heart are intent only upon your own dishonest gain, and on shedding innocent blood and on practicing oppression and extortion” (Jer. 22:17; cf. Hab. 1:2-4 and 2 Kings 23:34-24:5).
The best-known verse in this book is Habakkuk 2:4, Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. It reveals the heart of God’s answer to Habakkuk’s questions and we see a beautiful picture of living by faith in the prophet himself. He went from viewing the problems afflicting him to praising God in his affliction. He went from questioning God in chapter one to totally trusting God in chapter three. And he went from despair in the world to joy in the Lord. The circumstances remained the same. Nothing had changed except the heart of the prophet who found rest in trusting God. This significant verse is also quoted in Rom 1:17; Gal 3:11; Heb 10:38), and it is central to the doctrine of sanctification and growing in faith.
Other Favorite Verses
Hab 2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him, and chapter 3 is a great psalm of praise:
Hab 3:17-19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places
OUTLINE OF HABAKKUK
I. Introduction, 1:1
II. Habakkuk’s Problems, 1:2-2:20
A. Problem #1: Why Does God Allow Wicked Practices to Continue in Judah? 1:2-4
B. Answer #1, 1:5-11
C. Problem #2: Why Will God Use Wicked People to Punish Judah? 1:12-2:1
D. Answer #2, 2:2-20
III. Habakkuk’s Praise, 3:1-19
A. Praise for the Person of God, 3:1-3
B. Praise for the Power of God, 3:4-7
C. Praise for the Purpose of God, 3:8-16
D. Praise Because of Faith in God, 3:17-19
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas