DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
Genesis means “origin” and thus is the perfect title for the book that records the origins of all human history. Genesis is a real-life history record of the origins of the world, man, sin, civilization, the nations, and Israel, as well as a revelation of the God of all creation.
Genesis also introduces God’s purpose and plan in all things by progressively revealing important theological themes such as, the doctrine of the living, personal God; the doctrine of man made in the image of God; the doctrine of the fall and the consequences of man’s sin; the promise of a Redeemer (3:15); the call of Abraham and the raising up of a nation (Israel) and the covenant promises God made with Israel (12:1-3; 15:18-21).
OUTLINE OF GENESIS
I. The Creation of the World, 1:1-2:25
A. The Beginning of Creation, 1:1-2
B. The Days of Creation, 1:3-2:3
C. The Beginnings of Man and Woman, 2:4-25
II. The Sin of Man, 3:1-24
A. The Temptation, 3:1-7
B. The Judgments, 3:8-24
III. The Beginnings of Civilization, 4:1-5:32
A. Cain and His Descendants, 4:1-24
B. Seth, 4:25-26
C. Adam to Noah, 5:1-32
IV. The History of Noah, 6:1-9:29
A. The Causes of the Flood, 6:1-13
B. The Course of the Flood, 6:14-8:19
C. The Events After the Flood, 8:20-9:29
V. The Descendants of Noah and the Tower of Babel, 10:1-11:26
A. The Sons of Japheth, 10:1-5
B. The Sons of Ham, 10:6-20
C. The Sons of Shem, 10:21-32
D. The Tower of Babel, 11:1-9
E. The Descendants of Shem, 11:10-26
VI. The History of Abraham, 11:27-25:11
A. The Family of Abram, 11:27-32
B. The Call of Abram, 12:1-20
C. The Separation of Abram and Lot, 13:1-18
D. The Deliverance of Lot by Abram, 14:1-24
E. The Covenant with Abram, 15:1-21
F. The Birth of Ishmael, 16:1-16
G. The Circumcision of Abraham, 17:1-27
H. The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, 18:1-19:38
I. Abraham and Abimelech, 20:1-18
J. The Birth of Isaac, 21:1-34
K. The Offering of Isaac, 22:1-24
L. The Death and Burial of Sarah, 23:1-20
M. The Marriage of Isaac, 24:1-67
N. The Death of Abraham, 25:1-11
VII. The Descendants of Ishmael, 25:12-18
VIII. The History of Isaac and His Sons, 25:19-36:43
A. The Birth of Jacob and Esau, and Selling of Esau’s Birthright, 25:19-34
B. Isaac and Abimelech, 26:1-35
C. The Blessing of Jacob by Deception, 27:1-46
D. Jacob’s Flight to Paddan-aram (Mesopotamia), 28:1-9
E. Jacob’s Dream at Bethel, 28:10-22
F. Jacob and the Daughters of Laban, 29:1-30:43
1. Jacob meets Rachel, 29:1-14
2. Jacob marries Leah and Rachel, 29:15-30
3. Jacob begets children, 29:31-30:24
4. Jacob bargains with Laban, 30:25-43
G. Jacob’s Return to Canaan, 31:1-33:20
1. His separation from Laban, 31:1-55
2. His reconciliation with Esau, 32:1-33:20
H. Jacob’s Later Life, 34:1-36:43
1. The massacre at Shechem, 34:1-31
2. The renewal of the covenant at Bethel, 35:1-15
3. The deaths of Rachel and Isaac, 35:16-29
4. The descendants of Esau, 36:1-43
IX. The History of Joseph, 37:1-50:26
A. Joseph Sold into Slavery, 37:1-36
B. Judah and Tamar, 38:1-30
C. Joseph in Potiphar’s House, 39:1-23
D. Joseph Interprets the Dreams of the Cupbearer and the Baker, 40:1-23
E. Joseph Interprets Pharaoh’s Dream, 41:1-57
F. Joseph’s Brothers in Egypt, 42:1-45:28
1. The first visit of his ten brothers, 42:1-38
2. The second visit of his eleven brothers, 43:1-44:34
3. Joseph’s revelation of his identity, Gen 45:1-28
G. Joseph’s Family in Egypt, 46:1-47:31
H. The Blessing of Joseph’s Sons, 48:1-22
I. Jacob’s Blessing of His Sons, 49:1-27
J. Jacob’s Death and Burial, 49:28-50:14
K. The Last Days of Joseph, 50:15-26
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?