DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
Genesis means “origin” and thus is the perfect title for the book that records the origins of all human history. Genesis is a real-life history record of the origins of the world, man, sin, civilization, the nations, and Israel, as well as a revelation of the God of all creation.
Genesis also introduces God’s purpose and plan in all things by progressively revealing important theological themes such as, the doctrine of the living, personal God; the doctrine of man made in the image of God; the doctrine of the fall and the consequences of man’s sin; the promise of a Redeemer (3:15); the call of Abraham and the raising up of a nation (Israel) and the covenant promises God made with Israel (12:1-3; 15:18-21).
OUTLINE OF GENESIS
I. The Creation of the World, 1:1-2:25
A. The Beginning of Creation, 1:1-2
B. The Days of Creation, 1:3-2:3
C. The Beginnings of Man and Woman, 2:4-25
II. The Sin of Man, 3:1-24
A. The Temptation, 3:1-7
B. The Judgments, 3:8-24
III. The Beginnings of Civilization, 4:1-5:32
A. Cain and His Descendants, 4:1-24
B. Seth, 4:25-26
C. Adam to Noah, 5:1-32
IV. The History of Noah, 6:1-9:29
A. The Causes of the Flood, 6:1-13
B. The Course of the Flood, 6:14-8:19
C. The Events After the Flood, 8:20-9:29
V. The Descendants of Noah and the Tower of Babel, 10:1-11:26
A. The Sons of Japheth, 10:1-5
B. The Sons of Ham, 10:6-20
C. The Sons of Shem, 10:21-32
D. The Tower of Babel, 11:1-9
E. The Descendants of Shem, 11:10-26
VI. The History of Abraham, 11:27-25:11
A. The Family of Abram, 11:27-32
B. The Call of Abram, 12:1-20
C. The Separation of Abram and Lot, 13:1-18
D. The Deliverance of Lot by Abram, 14:1-24
E. The Covenant with Abram, 15:1-21
F. The Birth of Ishmael, 16:1-16
G. The Circumcision of Abraham, 17:1-27
H. The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, 18:1-19:38
I. Abraham and Abimelech, 20:1-18
J. The Birth of Isaac, 21:1-34
K. The Offering of Isaac, 22:1-24
L. The Death and Burial of Sarah, 23:1-20
M. The Marriage of Isaac, 24:1-67
N. The Death of Abraham, 25:1-11
VII. The Descendants of Ishmael, 25:12-18
VIII. The History of Isaac and His Sons, 25:19-36:43
A. The Birth of Jacob and Esau, and Selling of Esau’s Birthright, 25:19-34
B. Isaac and Abimelech, 26:1-35
C. The Blessing of Jacob by Deception, 27:1-46
D. Jacob’s Flight to Paddan-aram (Mesopotamia), 28:1-9
E. Jacob’s Dream at Bethel, 28:10-22
F. Jacob and the Daughters of Laban, 29:1-30:43
1. Jacob meets Rachel, 29:1-14
2. Jacob marries Leah and Rachel, 29:15-30
3. Jacob begets children, 29:31-30:24
4. Jacob bargains with Laban, 30:25-43
G. Jacob’s Return to Canaan, 31:1-33:20
1. His separation from Laban, 31:1-55
2. His reconciliation with Esau, 32:1-33:20
H. Jacob’s Later Life, 34:1-36:43
1. The massacre at Shechem, 34:1-31
2. The renewal of the covenant at Bethel, 35:1-15
3. The deaths of Rachel and Isaac, 35:16-29
4. The descendants of Esau, 36:1-43
IX. The History of Joseph, 37:1-50:26
A. Joseph Sold into Slavery, 37:1-36
B. Judah and Tamar, 38:1-30
C. Joseph in Potiphar’s House, 39:1-23
D. Joseph Interprets the Dreams of the Cupbearer and the Baker, 40:1-23
E. Joseph Interprets Pharaoh’s Dream, 41:1-57
F. Joseph’s Brothers in Egypt, 42:1-45:28
1. The first visit of his ten brothers, 42:1-38
2. The second visit of his eleven brothers, 43:1-44:34
3. Joseph’s revelation of his identity, Gen 45:1-28
G. Joseph’s Family in Egypt, 46:1-47:31
H. The Blessing of Joseph’s Sons, 48:1-22
I. Jacob’s Blessing of His Sons, 49:1-27
J. Jacob’s Death and Burial, 49:28-50:14
K. The Last Days of Joseph, 50:15-26
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge