DATE: circa 49-55 AD
Key Message: Liberty in Christ
When this letter was written, the term “Galatia” was used in both a geographical and a political sense. Used geographically, it referred to north-central Asia Minor, north of the cities of Pisidian Antioch, Iconium, Lystra, and Derbe. Used politically, Galatia referred to the Roman province (organized in 25 B.C.) that included southern districts and those cities just mentioned.
With the date uncertain, it’s difficult to know if the Galatian church was founded during Paul’s first missionary journey or his second. What we do know is that Paul wrote to clarify how sinful men can come to a Holy God. Judaizers were insisting that salvation could only be gained by keeping the law, which included circumcision and ritualistic practices. They were promoting that Gentiles must first become a Jew before they could be saved.
Paul wrote his letter to clear up any misunderstandings about salvation by grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ. In his letter he emphasized liberty in Christ and reminded the church of the power of the Holy Spirit in the Christian’s life (Gal 5:16-18). As Christians, our flesh has been crucified with Christ (Gal 2:20) and we have the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23). Therefore we can stand strong (Gal 5:1) because we are a new creation in Christ (Gal 6:15).
In addition to explaining, defending, and applying the doctrine of justification (salvation by grace alone through faith), Galations also includes information about Paul’s three years in Arabia (Gal 1:17), Paul’s correcting Peter (Gal 2:11), Paul’s reminder that the law serves as a tutor (Gal 3:24), and a list of the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23).
Key verses include: Gal 2:16, Gal 2:20, Gal 3:11, Gal 4:5-6, Gal 5:22-23, Gal 6:7
OUTLINE OF GALATIANS
I. Introduction: The Rightness of Paul’s Gospel Asserted, 1:1-10
II. Justification by Faith Defended: Paul’s Authority, 1:11-2:21
A. His Authority Acquired Through Revelation, Gal 1:11-24
B. His Authority Approved by the Church in Jerusalem, 2:1-10
C. His Authority Acknowledged in the Rebuke of Peter, 2:11-21
III. Justification by Faith Explained: Paul’s Gospel, 3:1-4:31
A. The Argument from Experience, 3:1-5
B. The Argument from Abraham, 3:6-9
C. The Argument from the Law, 3:10-4:11
D. The Argument from Personal Testimony, 4:12-20
E. The Argument from an Allegory, 4:21-31
IV. Justification by Faith Applied: Paul’s Ethics, 5:1-6:10
A. In Relation to Christian Liberty, 5:1-12
B. In Relation to License and Love, 5:13-15
C. In Relation to the Flesh and the Spirit, 5:16-26
D. In Relation to a Sinning Brother, 6:1-5
E. In Relation to Giving, 6:6-10
V. Conclusion: The Substance of Paul’s Instruction, 6:11-18
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED