DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The Hebrew title of the book is “The Names,” taken from the first verse, “these are the names of…” The English title is Exodus, which means ”way out.”
The theme of Exodus is redemption, specifically God’s deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt, in fulfillment of the promise of Gen. 15:13-14. The book records the birth of the nation Israel, the giving of the law, and God’s prescription for ritual worship.
God is revealed throughout the book.
- He is the one who controls history (chap. 1)
- He revealed Himself in a new name (3:14)
- He is the sovereign of the covenant relationship (19:5)
- He is the faithful redeemer (6:6; 15:13)
- He is judge of His own people (4:14; 20:5; 32:27-28) and of His foes (chaps. 7-12)
- He is the transcendent one (33:20) who nevertheless lived among His people (29:45).
Exodus also tells the story of Moses, including, his birth and God’s providential protection for him (Ex 2), God’s call of Moses (Ex 3:14; 5:1), the crossing of the Red Sea (Ex 14), God’s provision of manna (Ex 16), the Ten Commandments (Ex 20), the Tabernacle (Ex 25-27), and the golden calf (Ex 32).
KEY VERSE: Exo 15:13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.
This verse is the 3-point outline of the book of Exodus:
- Deliverance: “Thou…hast led forth Thy people.
- Direction: “Thou hast guided them”
- Dedication: “holy habitation” (the Tabernacle)
OUTLINE OF EXODUS
I. Israel in Egypt: Subjection, 1:1-12:36
A. God Chooses Moses, 1:1-4:31
1. The oppression of Israel, 1:1-22
2. The preparation of Moses, 2:1-25
a. Moses’ first forty years, 2:1-10
b. Moses’ second forty years, 2:11-25
3. The call of Moses, 3:1-4:31
a. God’s revelation of Himself, Ex 3:1-22
b. Moses’ objections, 4:1-17
c. Moses’ response to God’s call, 4:18-31
B. God Sends Moses to Pharaoh, 5:1-7:13
1. First encounter with Pharaoh, 5:1-7:7
2. Second encounter with Pharaoh, 7:8-13
C. God Authenticates Moses by the Plagues, 7:14-12:36
1. First plague: blood, 7:14-24
2. Second plague: frogs, 7:25-8:15
3. Third plague: gnats, 8:16-19
4. Fourth plague: flies, 8:20-32
5. Fifth plague: disease on the livestock, 9:1-7
6. Sixth plague: boils on man and beast, 9:8-12
7. Seventh plague: hail, 9:13-35
8. Eighth plague: locusts, 10:1-20
9. Ninth plague: darkness, 10:21-29
10. Tenth plague: death, 11:1-12:36
a. The plague announced, 11:1-10
b. The Passover instituted, 12:1-36
II. Israel’s Journey to Sinai: Emancipation, 12:37-18:27
A. The Departure from Egypt, 12:37-51
B. The Dedication of the Firstborn, 13:1-16
C. The Direction of the Cloud and Fire, 13:17-22
D. The Drying Up of the Red Sea, 14:1-22
E. The Destruction of the Pursuing Egyptians, 14:23-31
F. The Deliverance Sung by Moses and the People, 15:1-21
G. The Dissatisfaction of the People, 15:22-17:7
1. The complaint about bitter water, 15:22-27
2. The complaint about hunger: the manna, 16:1-36
3. The complaint about lack of water, 17:1-7
H. The Defeat of Amalek, 17:8-16
I. The Division of Responsibility, 18:1-27
III. Israel at Sinai: Revelation, Ex 19:1-40:38
A. The Giving of the Law, 19:1-24:18
1. The covenant proposed and accepted, 19:1-25
2. The Ten Commandments, 20:1-26
3. Laws concerning slaves, 21:1-11
4. Laws concerning personal injury, 21:12-36
5. Laws concerning theft, 22:1-4
6. Laws concerning property damage, 22:5-6
7. Laws concerning dishonesty, 22:7-15
8. Laws concerning immorality, 22:16-17
9. Laws concerning civil and religious obligations, 22:18-23:9
10. Laws concerning the Sabbaths and feasts, 23:10-19
11. Laws relating to conquest, 23:20-33
12. The covenant ratified, 24:1-8
13. The Lord’s glory revealed, 24:9-18
B. The Institution of the Tabernacle, 25:1-31:18
1. The materials, 25:1-9
2. The ark and mercy seat, 25:10-22
3. The table for the bread, 25:23-30
4. The lampstand, 25:31-40
5. The curtains, 26:1-14
6. The boards, 26:15-30
7. The veils, 26:31-37
8. The bronze altar, 27:1-8
9. The court, 27:9-19
10. The oil, 27:20-21
11. The priests’ garments, 28:1-43
12. The priests’ consecration, 29:1-46
13. The altar of incense, 30:1-10
14. The atonement money, 30:11-16
15. The laver, 30:17-21
16. The anointing oil, 30:22-33
17. The incense, 30:34-38
18. The builders, 31:1-11
19. The sign of the Sabbath, 31:12-18
C. The Breaking of the Law, 32:1-34:35
1. The sin of the people: the golden calf, 32:1-10
2. The intercession and wrath of Moses, 32:11-35
3. The repentance of the people, 33:1-11
4. The prayer of Moses, 33:12-23
5. The covenant renewed, 34:1-35
D. The Construction of the Tabernacle, 35:1-40:38
1. The instructions to the people, 35:1-36:7
2. The curtains made, 36:8-19
3. The boards made, 36:20-34
4. The veil made, 36:35-38
5. The ark made, 37:1-9
6. The table made, 37:10-16
7. The lampstand made, 37:17-24
8. The altar of incense made, 37:25-29
9. The bronze altar made, 38:1-7
10. The laver made, 38:8
11. The court made, 38:9-20
12. The materials used, 38:21-31
13. The garments for Aaron made, 39:1-31
14. The work inspected by Moses, 39:32-43
15. The Tabernacle erected, 40:1-33
16. The Tabernacle filled (indwelt) by the Lord Himself, 40:34-38
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store