DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The Hebrew title of the book is “The Names,” taken from the first verse, “these are the names of…” The English title is Exodus, which means ”way out.”
The theme of Exodus is redemption, specifically God’s deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt, in fulfillment of the promise of Gen. 15:13-14. The book records the birth of the nation Israel, the giving of the law, and God’s prescription for ritual worship.
God is revealed throughout the book.
- He is the one who controls history (chap. 1)
- He revealed Himself in a new name (3:14)
- He is the sovereign of the covenant relationship (19:5)
- He is the faithful redeemer (6:6; 15:13)
- He is judge of His own people (4:14; 20:5; 32:27-28) and of His foes (chaps. 7-12)
- He is the transcendent one (33:20) who nevertheless lived among His people (29:45).
Exodus also tells the story of Moses, including, his birth and God’s providential protection for him (Ex 2), God’s call of Moses (Ex 3:14; 5:1), the crossing of the Red Sea (Ex 14), God’s provision of manna (Ex 16), the Ten Commandments (Ex 20), the Tabernacle (Ex 25-27), and the golden calf (Ex 32).
KEY VERSE: Exo 15:13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.
This verse is the 3-point outline of the book of Exodus:
- Deliverance: “Thou…hast led forth Thy people.
- Direction: “Thou hast guided them”
- Dedication: “holy habitation” (the Tabernacle)
OUTLINE OF EXODUS
I. Israel in Egypt: Subjection, 1:1-12:36
A. God Chooses Moses, 1:1-4:31
1. The oppression of Israel, 1:1-22
2. The preparation of Moses, 2:1-25
a. Moses’ first forty years, 2:1-10
b. Moses’ second forty years, 2:11-25
3. The call of Moses, 3:1-4:31
a. God’s revelation of Himself, Ex 3:1-22
b. Moses’ objections, 4:1-17
c. Moses’ response to God’s call, 4:18-31
B. God Sends Moses to Pharaoh, 5:1-7:13
1. First encounter with Pharaoh, 5:1-7:7
2. Second encounter with Pharaoh, 7:8-13
C. God Authenticates Moses by the Plagues, 7:14-12:36
1. First plague: blood, 7:14-24
2. Second plague: frogs, 7:25-8:15
3. Third plague: gnats, 8:16-19
4. Fourth plague: flies, 8:20-32
5. Fifth plague: disease on the livestock, 9:1-7
6. Sixth plague: boils on man and beast, 9:8-12
7. Seventh plague: hail, 9:13-35
8. Eighth plague: locusts, 10:1-20
9. Ninth plague: darkness, 10:21-29
10. Tenth plague: death, 11:1-12:36
a. The plague announced, 11:1-10
b. The Passover instituted, 12:1-36
II. Israel’s Journey to Sinai: Emancipation, 12:37-18:27
A. The Departure from Egypt, 12:37-51
B. The Dedication of the Firstborn, 13:1-16
C. The Direction of the Cloud and Fire, 13:17-22
D. The Drying Up of the Red Sea, 14:1-22
E. The Destruction of the Pursuing Egyptians, 14:23-31
F. The Deliverance Sung by Moses and the People, 15:1-21
G. The Dissatisfaction of the People, 15:22-17:7
1. The complaint about bitter water, 15:22-27
2. The complaint about hunger: the manna, 16:1-36
3. The complaint about lack of water, 17:1-7
H. The Defeat of Amalek, 17:8-16
I. The Division of Responsibility, 18:1-27
III. Israel at Sinai: Revelation, Ex 19:1-40:38
A. The Giving of the Law, 19:1-24:18
1. The covenant proposed and accepted, 19:1-25
2. The Ten Commandments, 20:1-26
3. Laws concerning slaves, 21:1-11
4. Laws concerning personal injury, 21:12-36
5. Laws concerning theft, 22:1-4
6. Laws concerning property damage, 22:5-6
7. Laws concerning dishonesty, 22:7-15
8. Laws concerning immorality, 22:16-17
9. Laws concerning civil and religious obligations, 22:18-23:9
10. Laws concerning the Sabbaths and feasts, 23:10-19
11. Laws relating to conquest, 23:20-33
12. The covenant ratified, 24:1-8
13. The Lord’s glory revealed, 24:9-18
B. The Institution of the Tabernacle, 25:1-31:18
1. The materials, 25:1-9
2. The ark and mercy seat, 25:10-22
3. The table for the bread, 25:23-30
4. The lampstand, 25:31-40
5. The curtains, 26:1-14
6. The boards, 26:15-30
7. The veils, 26:31-37
8. The bronze altar, 27:1-8
9. The court, 27:9-19
10. The oil, 27:20-21
11. The priests’ garments, 28:1-43
12. The priests’ consecration, 29:1-46
13. The altar of incense, 30:1-10
14. The atonement money, 30:11-16
15. The laver, 30:17-21
16. The anointing oil, 30:22-33
17. The incense, 30:34-38
18. The builders, 31:1-11
19. The sign of the Sabbath, 31:12-18
C. The Breaking of the Law, 32:1-34:35
1. The sin of the people: the golden calf, 32:1-10
2. The intercession and wrath of Moses, 32:11-35
3. The repentance of the people, 33:1-11
4. The prayer of Moses, 33:12-23
5. The covenant renewed, 34:1-35
D. The Construction of the Tabernacle, 35:1-40:38
1. The instructions to the people, 35:1-36:7
2. The curtains made, 36:8-19
3. The boards made, 36:20-34
4. The veil made, 36:35-38
5. The ark made, 37:1-9
6. The table made, 37:10-16
7. The lampstand made, 37:17-24
8. The altar of incense made, 37:25-29
9. The bronze altar made, 38:1-7
10. The laver made, 38:8
11. The court made, 38:9-20
12. The materials used, 38:21-31
13. The garments for Aaron made, 39:1-31
14. The work inspected by Moses, 39:32-43
15. The Tabernacle erected, 40:1-33
16. The Tabernacle filled (indwelt) by the Lord Himself, 40:34-38
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED