DATE: 1450-1410 B.C.
The Hebrew title of the book is “The Names,” taken from the first verse, “these are the names of…” The English title is Exodus, which means ”way out.”
The theme of Exodus is redemption, specifically God’s deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt, in fulfillment of the promise of Gen. 15:13-14. The book records the birth of the nation Israel, the giving of the law, and God’s prescription for ritual worship.
God is revealed throughout the book.
- He is the one who controls history (chap. 1)
- He revealed Himself in a new name (3:14)
- He is the sovereign of the covenant relationship (19:5)
- He is the faithful redeemer (6:6; 15:13)
- He is judge of His own people (4:14; 20:5; 32:27-28) and of His foes (chaps. 7-12)
- He is the transcendent one (33:20) who nevertheless lived among His people (29:45).
Exodus also tells the story of Moses, including, his birth and God’s providential protection for him (Ex 2), God’s call of Moses (Ex 3:14; 5:1), the crossing of the Red Sea (Ex 14), God’s provision of manna (Ex 16), the Ten Commandments (Ex 20), the Tabernacle (Ex 25-27), and the golden calf (Ex 32).
KEY VERSE: Exo 15:13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.
This verse is the 3-point outline of the book of Exodus:
- Deliverance: “Thou…hast led forth Thy people.
- Direction: “Thou hast guided them”
- Dedication: “holy habitation” (the Tabernacle)
OUTLINE OF EXODUS
I. Israel in Egypt: Subjection, 1:1-12:36
A. God Chooses Moses, 1:1-4:31
1. The oppression of Israel, 1:1-22
2. The preparation of Moses, 2:1-25
a. Moses’ first forty years, 2:1-10
b. Moses’ second forty years, 2:11-25
3. The call of Moses, 3:1-4:31
a. God’s revelation of Himself, Ex 3:1-22
b. Moses’ objections, 4:1-17
c. Moses’ response to God’s call, 4:18-31
B. God Sends Moses to Pharaoh, 5:1-7:13
1. First encounter with Pharaoh, 5:1-7:7
2. Second encounter with Pharaoh, 7:8-13
C. God Authenticates Moses by the Plagues, 7:14-12:36
1. First plague: blood, 7:14-24
2. Second plague: frogs, 7:25-8:15
3. Third plague: gnats, 8:16-19
4. Fourth plague: flies, 8:20-32
5. Fifth plague: disease on the livestock, 9:1-7
6. Sixth plague: boils on man and beast, 9:8-12
7. Seventh plague: hail, 9:13-35
8. Eighth plague: locusts, 10:1-20
9. Ninth plague: darkness, 10:21-29
10. Tenth plague: death, 11:1-12:36
a. The plague announced, 11:1-10
b. The Passover instituted, 12:1-36
II. Israel’s Journey to Sinai: Emancipation, 12:37-18:27
A. The Departure from Egypt, 12:37-51
B. The Dedication of the Firstborn, 13:1-16
C. The Direction of the Cloud and Fire, 13:17-22
D. The Drying Up of the Red Sea, 14:1-22
E. The Destruction of the Pursuing Egyptians, 14:23-31
F. The Deliverance Sung by Moses and the People, 15:1-21
G. The Dissatisfaction of the People, 15:22-17:7
1. The complaint about bitter water, 15:22-27
2. The complaint about hunger: the manna, 16:1-36
3. The complaint about lack of water, 17:1-7
H. The Defeat of Amalek, 17:8-16
I. The Division of Responsibility, 18:1-27
III. Israel at Sinai: Revelation, Ex 19:1-40:38
A. The Giving of the Law, 19:1-24:18
1. The covenant proposed and accepted, 19:1-25
2. The Ten Commandments, 20:1-26
3. Laws concerning slaves, 21:1-11
4. Laws concerning personal injury, 21:12-36
5. Laws concerning theft, 22:1-4
6. Laws concerning property damage, 22:5-6
7. Laws concerning dishonesty, 22:7-15
8. Laws concerning immorality, 22:16-17
9. Laws concerning civil and religious obligations, 22:18-23:9
10. Laws concerning the Sabbaths and feasts, 23:10-19
11. Laws relating to conquest, 23:20-33
12. The covenant ratified, 24:1-8
13. The Lord’s glory revealed, 24:9-18
B. The Institution of the Tabernacle, 25:1-31:18
1. The materials, 25:1-9
2. The ark and mercy seat, 25:10-22
3. The table for the bread, 25:23-30
4. The lampstand, 25:31-40
5. The curtains, 26:1-14
6. The boards, 26:15-30
7. The veils, 26:31-37
8. The bronze altar, 27:1-8
9. The court, 27:9-19
10. The oil, 27:20-21
11. The priests’ garments, 28:1-43
12. The priests’ consecration, 29:1-46
13. The altar of incense, 30:1-10
14. The atonement money, 30:11-16
15. The laver, 30:17-21
16. The anointing oil, 30:22-33
17. The incense, 30:34-38
18. The builders, 31:1-11
19. The sign of the Sabbath, 31:12-18
C. The Breaking of the Law, 32:1-34:35
1. The sin of the people: the golden calf, 32:1-10
2. The intercession and wrath of Moses, 32:11-35
3. The repentance of the people, 33:1-11
4. The prayer of Moses, 33:12-23
5. The covenant renewed, 34:1-35
D. The Construction of the Tabernacle, 35:1-40:38
1. The instructions to the people, 35:1-36:7
2. The curtains made, 36:8-19
3. The boards made, 36:20-34
4. The veil made, 36:35-38
5. The ark made, 37:1-9
6. The table made, 37:10-16
7. The lampstand made, 37:17-24
8. The altar of incense made, 37:25-29
9. The bronze altar made, 38:1-7
10. The laver made, 38:8
11. The court made, 38:9-20
12. The materials used, 38:21-31
13. The garments for Aaron made, 39:1-31
14. The work inspected by Moses, 39:32-43
15. The Tabernacle erected, 40:1-33
16. The Tabernacle filled (indwelt) by the Lord Himself, 40:34-38
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com