Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of Ezekiel we read,
“The word of the LORD came again to me saying, ‘Son of man, when a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My hand against it; I will cut off its supply of bread, send famine on it, and cut off man and beast from it. Even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness,’ says the LORD God.” (Ezekiel 14:12-14 – NKJV)
I have this blocked off in my Bible, this “word of the LORD.” God speaks to his prophet Ezekiel and lays out words of judgment that He will bring upon “a land” if they are “persistent” in “unfaithfulness.” The Creator, Yaweh, “will stretch out (His) hand against” the nation that fails to be faithful to Him and His law.
He will, in His righteous judgment, “cut off its supply of bread,” and He will “send famine on” the “land.” He will “cut off man and beast from it.”
This principle is, I believe, alive and active in our day. It is a truth that transcends time. Nations that persist in “unfaithfulness” will be judged by God. Even if, within that nation, righteous individuals exist, that will not deter God carrying out His wrath on the “land” and upon “man and beast.” (Note: Romans 1:18)
In our text of warning it is most interesting that God gives three names of righteous individuals who, even though they might be in the “land” their “righteousness” will “only . . . deliver themselves” and not the nation. “Unfaithfulness” by a nation will not go unpunished even if the great ones are in it. Even if Noah, Daniel, and Job” are in the “land,” these righteous men of God, not even that would constrain God from acting upon a nation’s “unfaithfulness.”
I am of the mind that, in our nation today, there are many who are in Christ. There are many men and women of God who are faithful hearers and doers of the Word, striving to practice righteousness as it is laid out in Scripture. I am also of the mind that these are the minority and not the majority. We live in an extremely unfaithful “land,” in an extremely unfaithful world. That would mean that this principle laid out in writing by the prophet Ezekiel is certainly something that we should take serious note of. God will deal with this nation and the nations of the world, just as He has said He would do, even if the great ones are in it, if “a land” persists in “unfaithfulness.”
Because we are a people that have been lulled into taking so much for granted: there will be a new day, there will be food on the store shelves, there will be a church activity tonight, there will be a car to take me here and there, there will be money in our pockets, there will be a weekend, there are righteous people in the “land” . . . . . I fear we can fall into a false sense of security that all is well, all will go well; you can expect it! But, even if the great ones are in it, the “land” will not go unpunished, the nations will not go without judgment if “unfaithfulness” persists.
Have a good day brethren . . . and note God’s righteous examples, Noah, Daniel, and Job. Strive to learn of them and let there righteousness serve as an example for you as you seek to live out your daily life to the glory of God.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED